H2 Friendly "Local" Sites

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Eric

H2 Friendly "Local" Sites

Post by Eric »

After going to LMFP last week and having a huge LZ right there under me, I am in search of mountain flying sites within a 300 mile radius or so of DC that might be similar. Driving 600 plus miles to Georgia or leaving my wife and quitting my job to buy a cabin near Lookout Mountain is somewhat out of the question. Lol. Having that easy to reach LZ made it so easy for me to focus on soaring the ridge, and I also recognized that relying on ridge lift is only a tiny part of the equation -- I know I need to get busy with learning to thermal too. As an H2, I have found it to be a personal challenge to advance in the local area without easy-to-reach, "approved" landing zones. Have any others as H2s had a similar experience, or am I just the slow kid in class? I know that many of the intermediate and advanced HG and PG pilots in CHGPA don't really need to rely on primary LZs due to their superior thermaling XC skills. Ellenville Flight Park seems to be one option. Are there any others that might provide this comfort level? How have other local pilots bridged this skill gap between novice and intermediate?
New H2, AT, FL
mingram

Re: H2 Friendly "Local" Sites

Post by mingram »

LZs here definitely make it more challenging for P2s/H2s, but there are a few options:

- Daniels has two friendly LZs. I spent most of my P2 flying here. I had many sledders my first year because I hadn't yet gained enough experience to time my launches into a good cycle and didn't have the experience to make efficient turns in light lift close to the ridge.
- High Rock for HGs
- The Pulpit primary is reachable in an HG with no lift if you go straight there. If you get a little ridge lift you can put yourself in a closer/safer range.
- Bills Hill is easy when there are no crops, but LZ options are currently closed.

Man I wish there were more sites I could put on this list. Maybe Cumberland or some other western Maryland/WVA sites?
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
wuffos

Post by wuffos »

Sacramento, PA and Jacks Mountain, PA also have large LZ's - but only until crops are planted, which could be any day now. Similarly, the Elmira, NY sites Harris Hill, Indian Cliffs, and Katydid have large winter LZ's. Harris Hill maintains a pretty large LZ during the summer - thanks to the sailplanes' bailout field. Katydid and Indian Cliffs vary with crop rotations. Otherwise, Ellenville NY is the best year-round.
wuffos

Post by wuffos »

Also, Terry Bono's Blue Mountain Ski Area's North site (N. of Allentown, PA) has a recently improved LZ.
Danny Brotto

Post by Danny Brotto »

High Rock.

Danny Brotto
jimsmess

Post by jimsmess »

Don't forget about Hyner,
Eric

Post by Eric »

Thanks to all for the input. Now I just need to put it all together in my brain then retain it and more importantly use it. It'd be awesome to have an app where you could put in your skill level and geographic location then get alerts on what flying sites are looking possible two or three days in advance. Hmmm...
New H2, AT, FL
Dave Gills

Post by Dave Gills »

Zirk's Mountaineer site is good for new H2s so long as you're not susceptible to cow-suck. :D
Dan T

Re: H2 Friendly "Local" Sites - Richmond VA

Post by Dan T »

You might also consider Steve Wendt's truck tow operation near Richmond. It's not mountain flying but it will give you a chance to refine your landing skills and confidence. Set up you base leg along the tree line on the down wind edge of the two line and turn onto final so that you land in the general vicinity of his starting point, but out of his way. Once you can do this consistently and comfortable you should be able to land at any of our primary LZs.

As an added bonus you will get to feel what it must be like to be a marlin on the end of a fishing line. If this comment sounds confusing you will understand it once you complete your first truck tow.

Dan T
flymiller8

Post by flymiller8 »

Big Walker LZ is close enough but restricted with obstacles and uphill landing and eagle rock isn't difficult. If you haven't been taking advantage of flight park ops at blue sky you are denying yourself valuable training.
Josh