Larry Tudor on Cloudbase Mayhem Podcast

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

mingram

Larry Tudor on Cloudbase Mayhem Podcast

Post by mingram »

I hadn't heard of Larry before, but he's been flying 40 years and has some awesome stories about the beginning of the first world record hang gliding flights and competition flying. And a lot of scary moments that he chalks up to dumb luck - including flying next to a tornado! Really enjoyable podcast.

http://www.cloudbasemayhem.com/episode- ... l-records/
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
theflyingdude

Re: Larry Tudor on Cloudbase Mayhem Podcast

Post by theflyingdude »

Larry Tudor is one of the legends in the HG world. I was there at Walt's Point the day in 1988 when he set the Out and Return world record flying 198 miles to Boundary Peak and back. I think I bombed-out at Independence that day after less than 20 miles. Larry was the first pilot to launch that morning (around 9:30 AM) and was up and out of there before we were even finished setting up our gliders. To this very day, he was the smoothest-flying pilot I've ever seen.

JR
Danny Brotto

Re: Larry Tudor on Cloudbase Mayhem Podcast

Post by Danny Brotto »

The MHGA hosted Larry Tudor for a World team Fundraiser held at Oregon Ridge Lodge in the fall of 1988. It was a well-attended event with both local pilots and friends and quite a few that came from some distance. The event was written up in a subsequent “Hang Gliding” issue. The event was on a Friday night and on Saturday, the group of local and visiting pilots trekked to Fischer Road for some flying. I recall flying my Axis 13 while Larry was on a borrowed Wills Wing Sport-type glider. I think JR may have actually loaned it to him.

As JR said, Larry was one of the smoothest pilots you’ll ever see under a hang glider. Flying with him I noticed something very unique in his technique. You see, Larry didn’t as much move his body in the hang glider but rather moved the hang glider around his body. Essentially his body movements did not exceed the rate at which the hang glider would respond to his motion. He was easy to fly with and had a keen sense of awareness of those around him. In a thermal with him, his face would be planted looking directly at you while his body “swiveled” on his neck with the hang glider following his body perfectly; no wasted energy.

Danny Brotto