Sacramento Saturday 4/22

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

XCanytime

Sacramento Saturday 4/22

Post by XCanytime »

Looking like it may be a good day to fly the SAC this Saturday. Standard 3 day NW/N/ESE pattern setting in on Friday. Hopefully the timing will be right. Bacil
Tev_Carrillo

Re: Sacramento Saturday 4/22

Post by Tev_Carrillo »

Hi, what is this Sac that you speak of? Thanks!
Tev_Carrillo

Post by Tev_Carrillo »

Ok, disregard, I found it on the Hyner website.
jimsmess

Post by jimsmess »

The caretakers of Sacremento are planning on a site maintainance day on Sat 4-22-17 . Hopefully it's soarable and everyone's work is rewarded with a nice flight. I had the opportunity to fly there last Thursday with Ric C and Chris B, we all stayed up and had alot of fun .
Jim M
Tev_Carrillo

Post by Tev_Carrillo »

Hi guys, once I fill out my waivers, can I bring them with me before I fly? For those who don't know, I'm a H3 who just moved to New Jersey from Northern California. My name is Tevni. I'm Looking forward to flying with you guys this weekend!
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

Looks pretty good for the SAC tomorrow. Flyable all day long and good velocity. NNW @ 10 MPH. What's not to like? :shock: And I don't want to hear the standard it's too far of a drive :P . Bacil
jimsmess

Post by jimsmess »

conditions are looking good, a bunch of local pilots will be there in the morning doing a site clean up and flying in the afternoon. It should be a great day to see some friends and do some flying. Maybe we should set up a task, to the river and back along the ridge. Waivers for the Sac are available for printing on the Hyner website, fill them out and bring it along.
Jim M
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

Charley and I have our sights set on Carlisle Airport by way of Berry, Peters, Cove, and Blue Mountains. Bacil
mingram

Post by mingram »

NICE!
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
jimsmess

Post by jimsmess »

Man, that forcast went down the toilet
Dunegoon

Post by Dunegoon »

A very successful day at the Sac!

Tim B. graciously pick me up at my house and got us to Sacramento in good time. When we arrived the work crew was already fully engaged. Doug R., Chris B., Ric C., Dave B., Joe G., were down in the front of the slot systematically felling offending trees. This has been an ongoing project including widening the right border a few years ago, the left border last year and now the front. Very nice! Tim joined the crew at the bottom and proceed to work to exhaustion. Ed M. also hacked away at the field of briars below launch. These guys worked their tail feathers off. Doug is an expert arborist (along with just about anything else he does) and tackled some huge specimens. Some were too tired to fly later on despite sweet launch conditions in the newly expanded slot.

I had trash detail up top with Karen and John. We recovered almost five trash bags of beer cans, glass bottles, whisky bottles, energy drinks, iced tea, and broken glass. Noticeably absent were wine bottles. Also recovered two smashed TVs, car keys, a car FOB, eleven golf balls and two tees, an aluminum baseball bat, used rubber gloves, underwear and a tee-shirt. Further finds included an open amazon box with a well packed pair of cat themed kitchen curtains (which worked out well for me since I needed a twenty ninth anniversary present for my wife-LOL not really). My daughter instantly recognized them as some Japanese animation prints so they now hang in her room! Some scattered light showers aided my effort to move and partially bury three or four deer carcuses in varous states of decay. Well colonized by various carrion beetles and some maggots, they provided a welcome (?) visual diversion from the smell.

Karen supplied two pizzas for the crew (thanks you). After a break to eat and changing gears some of us elected to fly. Bob, Joe, Karen, John, Ric and I took our sleds with pride zooming out the clean and cleared launch. If you have not flown there before, please take the time to talk to Joe and Karen first. The launch can be technical from the pad and out the slot. The usual LZ is an uphill restricted field that may not be suitable for new pilots without supervision and good conditions. Thanks Tim for the ride. Next time you fly and I'll drive.

Here is a short video that briefly shows the improvements to the launch area and some strategy for flying the site. I don't get to fly there that often so don't take my suggestions as gospel. CF

https://vimeo.com/214434022