Back from mowing Bill's

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Scott

Back from mowing Bill's

Post by Scott »

Just got back from a couple hours of serious jagger-bush-whacking at Bill's Hill. I figured I'd do it today since it might rain tomorrow. My first time at Bill's---wow! What a beautiful site! I love the location in the state forest---the kind of place I'd like to just drive up to, unfold a lawn chair, and kick back. :) (Can't wait to fly there...)

The slot was indeed grown up. Though he didn't mention it, Doug might well have been discouraged from starting at the top of the slope by the sight of thigh-high weeds and briars all the way down! :(

I weedwhacked an area of the slope about a glider's width (plus some) and about 30 feet down the slope. Also cleared the path that goes halfway down the slot (so it'll be easy to put a streamer down there). I think it'll be fine for launches in wind, though you might have trouble with no-wind launches (like running into a 4-foot vertical wall of briars halfway down!).

Didn't find any hornets' nests...though I was on the lookout! Also picked up a boxfull of trash (mostly cans & bottles).

Scott
Matthew

Bills

Post by Matthew »

Thanks Scott. You are well on your way to becoming a Jedi Slot Clearing Master like Joe Schad.

Matthew
Scott

Post by Scott »

LOL---except that so far I'm resisting the pull of the Dark Side (chemicals). :D

Scott

PS - You think the state forest people would mind if we did a controlled burn of the entire slot? <grin>
dhenders

bills

Post by dhenders »

You are correct. Iwas wearing shorts and wanted to get off quick
hepcat1989

Post by hepcat1989 »

Thanks Scott! Yeah, I too was thinking of chemicals to beat that back. We clear it out nice then the sun cooks that open slot, and the hell starts over.Wouldn't it be nice to have grass there and just cut it!
Shawn.
Spark

Post by Spark »

hepcat1989 wrote:Thanks Scott! Yeah, I too was thinking of chemicals to beat that back. We clear it out nice then the sun cooks that open slot, and the hell starts over.Wouldn't it be nice to have grass there and just cut it!
Shawn.
Aw, that would be too easy. :wink: At least there aren't old washing machines and 'stank'y deer carcasses, like at Jacks.
'Spark
brianvh

Back from mowing Bill's

Post by brianvh »

Scott, you rock!

Brian Vant-Hull
301-646-1149
hepcat1989

Post by hepcat1989 »

I like the smell of stank assed deer carcass! It vitalizes the sole!
Spark

Post by Spark »

hepcat1989 wrote:I like the smell of stank assed deer carcass! It vitalizes the sole!
Then you would have enjoyed the Hyner 'deer drag' two years ago.
'Spark