Dual Wall Culvert Glider Storage Tubes-Free for Pickup

HG/PG gear to sell or to buy.

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

rlweber

Dual Wall Culvert Glider Storage Tubes-Free for Pickup

Post by rlweber »

I have two dual wall culvert tubes with end caps that can be locked, I have used both for storage and transport of my gliders. They are free for anyone who is willing to pick them up in Harrisonburg, Va.

One is:

18 inches in diameter, 18ft 6 inches long with locking end caps

The other is;

12 inches in diameter 19 ft long with locking end caps.

Randy Weber
540-820-6342
Keep Calm And Soar On
CraginS

Re: Dual Wall Culvert Glider Storage Tubes-Free for Pickup

Post by CraginS »

I already have storage tubes for my gliders, but I highly recommend these dual-walled HDPE culvert pipes for storage.
They are half the weight of Schedule 40 PVC pipes, and work very well for sealed storage.
The dual-wall pipes have the pronounced corrugated outer wall, but the inner wall is smooth, allowing easy movement of the glider sliding in and out.

My Pulse, or any similar Falcon-class glider fits well in the 12" pipe.
My U2, and other newer fatter gliders need the larger diameter 18" pipe; the fit is too close in the 12" pipe.

A few tips:
1. The newer, lighter weight glider bags can wear a hole by sliding in and out of the tube. I know this from personal experience with my U2 bag. I now bungee a small towel to the end that goes in first and raise the back as I slide to make sure the towel is what slides along the bottom, instead of the bag.

2. Dennis Pagen recommends against using these pipes for transport. Because the glider can rock and slide inside the pipe as you drive, that same friction wear can cause holes to develop in the bag while on the road. Better to use a heavy bag and strap it down tightly on your rack.

3. Never store a wet or even damp glider in the sealed pipe. Let the glider and bag dry out before sliding it in. Damp, dark, and sealed means nasty slimy green stuff can grow on the glider.

4. Keep the pipes sealed when not actively storing and removing the glider. Little critters like mice like to go in and chew up the sail material to use for nesting, sometimes in the glider itself.
garys

Post by garys »

Randy; I would love to have the larger dia tube but I am out west for a few more weeks so if you need to move it before then please let someone else have it. Thanks Gary
Gary Smith
rlweber

Post by rlweber »

Gary, the tube is yours for the picking up. I am not in a hurry. I want it to go to a good home :)

Randy
Keep Calm And Soar On