Pulpit 1/28 - 1/29

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

XCanytime

Pulpit 1/28 - 1/29

Post by XCanytime »

Looks west and cold. Max temp 40-. I'm contemplating lowering my threshold :shock: . Bacil
Dave Gills

Re: Pulpit 1/28 - 1/29

Post by Dave Gills »

Watching :D
krryerson

Post by krryerson »

Interested!
Knut
Ward Odenwald

Post by Ward Odenwald »

Me too, and considering starting with Smithsburg on Saturday.
Golden opportunity for practicing ground handling, balancing the glider, takeoffs and landings. An added plus is good exercise for the body (generating heat), and tuning the muscle memory necessary for safe starts and finishes to flights. Bacil
Ward
krryerson

Post by krryerson »

Great Ward, hope you can join us later at Pulpit. Just talked to Bacil:
We have decided to go flying on Saturday at Pulpit, if forecast doesn’t change too much. “Looking Soarable”.
Temperature as high as 41F, which is probably going to be in the valley. My lower temperature threshold for sure; but, if you dress accordingly, you should be able to stay warm.
Have hand warmers, Large Bar Mittens from Blue sky, full face helmet with face shield, Balaclava Skiing Face Mask, neck warmer, winter boots, long Jones wool from top to bottom and double layers outside.
As you know, this should most likely keep a pilot warm.
If it does not work out for Pulpit, will try Smithsburg on Saturday.
Knut
markc

Post by markc »

Thinking about it, perfect direction and speed (as of Wed night). Looks pretty cold at launch though, will have to decide just how much I want it! :D
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

I don't plan on being aloft for very long, maybe 45 minutes to an hour max. Yeah it's gonna be cold :shock: . But as long as you dress accordingly, and not fly real FAST (except on final of course :wink: ), you should be reasonably comfortable. Bacil
Dave Gills

Post by Dave Gills »

Looks like Saturday wind speed is picking up.
Sunday speed is dropping off a bit.

Still early.
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

West at 14 MPH Saturday (HGR) and West at 12 MPH on Sunday. Bacil
krryerson

Post by krryerson »

Forgot:
Having aluminum Wills Wing speedbar and not carbon fiber, is going to make your hands cold too.
However, one pilot taught me about using a none glue, self sticking tape to tape, thick tape, wrapped around the speed bar. Making it less slippy and your hands will stay much warmer.
Have been using this for two years and works great.
Yes, it is still going to be cold, but not as low as -40C/- 40F that it was when I did down hill skiing in Norway, Hovden, late 80's. My lowest temperature in any sports and that was a cold day.
K
Eric

Post by Eric »

I'm planning on going to Smithsburg on Sunday.
New H2, AT, FL
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

I'm now looking at late day flight(s) to fly during the warmest part of the day and forecasted abating winds. HGR hourly goes from west @ 14 MPH at 3P to west @ 12 MPH at 4P to west @ 10 MPH at 5P on Saturday. Max wind for HGR on Sunday is west @ 11 MPH Quick late day flights will suffice. Bacil
Ward Odenwald

Post by Ward Odenwald »

Planning on joining Eric at Smithsburg on Sunday (ETA 9:30-10:00am).
krryerson

Post by krryerson »

ETA 2:00 p.m. Pulpit on Saturday. Hopefully we'll have great soaring conditions and not too cold.
Knut
Eric

Post by Eric »

So early! I'll make a concerted effort to be at Smithsburg at 9:30 -10:00 am too. I have one windsock for the landing area. If Anthony doesn't come out, I'll aquire some streamers for the hill.
New H2, AT, FL
markc

Post by markc »

Bailing, not air-hungry enough for a cold flight (just yet!). Hope it works out for those who go!
Dave Gills

Post by Dave Gills »

Dang...
Beggars can't be choosers... So it looks like I'm in for around 2 or 2:30 today.
mcgowantk

Post by mcgowantk »

I am considering Sunday. Maybe at Smithsburg or Pulpit.

Tom McGowan
Ward Odenwald

Post by Ward Odenwald »

Eric, I have two streamers. I'll place one in the LZ and the other halfway up the hill so please bring what you can.

Ward
Dave Gills

Post by Dave Gills »

Anyone going to Pulpit Sunday?
I was there today and am camping out in Summeset tonight.
wmelo

Post by wmelo »

I am! To be confirmed Sunday by 20am
Walt Melo
walt.melo [at] gmail [dot] com
+1.804.walt.743
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

Arrived at 12:15P to overcast skies and light to moderate conditions. The sun started breaking thru and things got stirred up on launch, resulting in moderately gusty conditions. I took to the air at 1:45P with Knut, Ric Caylor, and Dave Gills assisting. Found a WSW cross, disorganized lift, and moderate turbulence. After an hour of slow progress to the south I finally found something cohesive enough to climb in and climbed to 3K' MSL just south of the gas line clear cut. I flew out over the golf course and was going to land but found some light disorganized lift over the clubhouse :shock: . Decided to drift to the ENE over the main LZ and see what would happen. Saw a nice cloud that looked just like a pillow downwind and theorized something was feeding it. Finally found the express elevator and climbed to 4K' MSL just as Knut was moving to launch. Drifted OTB and half heartedly tried to stay up. Saw that it was strong on the ground by viewing the windlines on the fish ponds just NW of Mercersburg. Ran out of air at 3P next to the Mountain View Elementary School by Lemar Road. Very strong headwind and gradient coming into land in the huge field south of the school. Had a nice landing and kited the glider over to some wind shadow behind the school building. Anthony showed up just as I was finishing breaking down. Thanks Anthony! We went back up to launch to help Charley Fager launch with Rich Bloomfield providing the nose control. Charley had a nice launch in gusty conditions at 4:30P. He elevatored right up, and the next thing we knew he was at 4K' MSL in between the main ridge and Cove Mountain. I radioed to Charley that it was time for him to go OTB for the 1st time at the Pulpit. When he turned downwind his groundspeed was screaming. He ended up having a nice landing at the same place I did. Congratulations on your 1st OTB Charley! Many more to come. Looking to fly again tomorrow w/ Walt, Tom, Ward, Anthony, and Eric? at the Pulpit. Bacil
krryerson

Post by krryerson »

Bacil summed it up nicely.
Great Saturday at Pulpit, good ridge lift and great thermals on the ridge.
Launched at 2:54 p.m. and went straight up. Flew on the ridge and topped out at 3785 ft. MSL.
Landed in the Main LZ after 1:06 Hrs.
Not that fancy flight, but if interested, check the flight a http://doarama.com/view/1181432
It was fun being able to get a good flight this time of the year and it was warm and nice. YES! Was never cold during the flight and/or during set up and rigging down.
Anthony: Thanks for driving down one of the cars to the LZ and thanks for all the help at the launch to.
Topped off the day with Charley and Rich at Flannery's Tavern on the Square in Mercersburg, for a tasty dinner.
Knut

A.Lloyd

Post by A.Lloyd »

All of the 5 hang gliders that showed up yesterday got to fly. The launch windows were short and challenging. Congratulations to Charlie for going OTB!

I'm going to Smithsburg this morning to meet up with Eric and Ward. The wind forecast is looking good for there. I may go to Pulpit later but doubt it.

Anthony
Eric

Post by Eric »

I'm headed to Smithsburg. ETA 10-ish.
New H2, AT, FL