Smithsburg next weekend

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

XCanytime

Smithsburg next weekend

Post by XCanytime »

Golden opportunity for practicing ground handling, balancing the glider, takeoffs and landings. An added plus is good exercise for the body (generating heat), and tuning the muscle memory necessary for safe starts and finishes to flights. Bacil
XCanytime

Re: Smithsburg next weekend

Post by XCanytime »

Charley and I plan to arrive on Saturday by 12:30P. Any others? Bacil
wmelo

Post by wmelo »

I am still on the fence :( I will go if I am able to bribe my son to carry the glider up hill :)
Walt Melo
walt.melo [at] gmail [dot] com
+1.804.walt.743
ricsoar2

Post by ricsoar2 »

I'm planning to attend too. What is the address or a near by meeting spot?
ricsoar2

Post by ricsoar2 »

Actually after reviewing the weather report, I'm considering going to the SAC tomorrow. What are you all thinking?
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

Too dang cold for me. Walt I will help you carry your glider up the hill. REPEATEDLY! :shock: Bacil
CraginS

Post by CraginS »

If you have never been to Smithsburg before, ask an experienced club member where to park. DO NOT crowd the close parking area with more than 3 vehicles. Best plan: pull in, drop your glider and gear, then move your vehicle to the side road where there is no problem to park.
1. Too many vehicles in the primary area can lose us access to the site, and almost has more than once in the past.
2. Parking too deeply in the close area can get your vehicle stuck in the soft wet winter earth and really make a mess (says the guy who did it - ask DanT for the story; he was along for the ride).
A.Lloyd

Post by A.Lloyd »

Got 3 flights in snowy freezing conditions with a NNW wind 8 to 12 MPH. Thanks goes to Bacil for setting up the windsocks and for all the great advice!