Woodstock Launch Closure

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

PTerry

Woodstock Launch Closure

Post by PTerry »

*** NOTICE: SITE CLOSURE ***

Dates: Monday October 24 -- Friday October 28

Woodstock Launch Will Be Closed For Renovation Work.
Contractor & Heavy Equipment Will Shut Down Site Completely -- No Flying!
Questions: Please Contact Me. 202-309-5362
Attachments
Woodstock Launch Aerial Sketch.jpg
CHGPA USFS Woodstock Banner.jpg
Patrick F Terry
CHGPA President
202-309-5362
PatrickFTerry@gmail.com
P4, M2, Observer
PTerry

Re: Woodstock Launch Closure

Post by PTerry »

VOLUNTEERS NEEDED :
Sunday, Monday, and/or Tuesday
1) DRONE. Drone & Video Camera we can use at Woodstock on Sunday? We need “before" images of the launch before the renovation starts.
2) CHAINSAW: (USFS Cert) Operator. We have some additional tree work to complete.
3) CLEARING: Pruning, Cutting, Brush Removal, Etc.
4) HAULING: Material Movement to site.
5) BUILDING: Bench & Sign Construction.
Patrick F Terry
CHGPA President
202-309-5362
PatrickFTerry@gmail.com
P4, M2, Observer
PTerry

Post by PTerry »

I've been asked about Friday.
The Launch WILL BE CLOSED on Friday Oct 28th.
I don't care how epic the weather is for flying. There will be ongoing construction and no foot launching will be permitted.

Thank you.
Patrick F Terry
CHGPA President
202-309-5362
PatrickFTerry@gmail.com
P4, M2, Observer
PTerry

Post by PTerry »

Day 3. 6:15pm. Another nice sunset and good work day. A long day for the skid operators. Another ~500 tons of soil brought in today. Lots, & lots, & lots of back & forth trips...
Michael helping on the skilled craftsmanship work today and again on Friday. Bench and sign are progressing – Thank You!!!
Two more days to finish up. Looking Good.
Showers forecasted for tomorrow hopefully don't cause slippery conditions to slow us down.
Patrick F Terry
CHGPA President
202-309-5362
PatrickFTerry@gmail.com
P4, M2, Observer
PTerry

Post by PTerry »

Day4. Woodstock Launch. Getting slippery w/on-off showers. Seeding & hay is down on the edges. The extended launch area off the front on the steep slope is coming together. Slow but sure.
THANKS to Joe & Rich for the help out here today!
There was also a political sign opportunity with the nice view.
Finishing up the majority of the project on Friday Oct 28th. Thanks.
Patrick F Terry
CHGPA President
202-309-5362
PatrickFTerry@gmail.com
P4, M2, Observer
silverwings

Post by silverwings »

Patrick, you had said that some trees at the end of the slot might be taken down and an improved access from the road to that area. Has any of that been done? Also, I was wondering if the launch slope angle has changed and what the surface is comprised of? Thanks for the work.
john middleton (202)409-2574 c
PTerry

Post by PTerry »

Tree clearing at bottom of slot: Yes, 80% of this work has been completed. Two very big trees remain (left corner) for the USFS to fell.

The lanuch surface has changed to smooth dirt/grass next spring. The angle has not changed but the launch has been raised by ~18". The steeper angle slope has been extended off the front of the old launch by ~30Ft as usable surface for safe take-off footing.

New Surface: Once we have established use and experience with the new launch surface we can install a (4ft wide x 20ft long) imbedded ground grid assembly in which we will install crushed stone (HG launch strip) to prevent wear & tear or groove development of the soil.
Patrick F Terry
CHGPA President
202-309-5362
PatrickFTerry@gmail.com
P4, M2, Observer
PTerry

Post by PTerry »

Day 5. Work continues. The launch area and entry trail will be complete today - Friday Oct 28th.

The Woodstock Hang Gliding & Paragliding Launch will be re-openned for pilot use again beginning Oct 29th.

While some additional finish work needs to be completed over the next few days/weeks. The site is fundementaly usable for foot launch activities beginning October 29th.

I will be the single point of contact for all issues, questions, concerns, etc for the renovation project.

Thank you everyone.
Pat
Patrick F Terry
CHGPA President
202-309-5362
PatrickFTerry@gmail.com
P4, M2, Observer
Joe Schad

Post by Joe Schad »

I stopped by launch this afternoon to see how the launch looked. Three stones block the path to launch to keep vehicles out. There remains two piles of fine stone in the parking lot as well as three items of heavy equipment. Two are at launch and one is on the path to launch. I put three streamer around launch area. Blowing straight in at 8 or so. I was there at 2pm or so for half an hour. No workers around. There is a pile of rocks that need to be moved in the hang glider setup area as well as some cut wood on both sides to lessen the impact on pg canopies that drop to either side of the slot at launch. an easy half day effort for 7 or 8 folks.

Joe

PS. The tree crew missed a few marked trees. There are two on the north end that still need cut as well as the two big trees on the south end and two others that are marked(not too big).
Ward Odenwald

Post by Ward Odenwald »

Joe, regarding the three stones that block the path. Approximately, how far apart are they separated? I us a cart (aka a canoe carrier) to haul my glider in that's ~2 to 2.5 ft wide. Will it pass through?

Thanks,

Ward
Joe Schad

Post by Joe Schad »

Probably. The rocks are not huge. Two people could move them if needed.

joe
wmelo

Post by wmelo »

I have the pleasure to visit the place Saturday. The take off area looks fantastic. The road from the parking lot to the take off area is outstanding.

However, I did not see any improvements in the HG setting up area (left and right side of the take off area). Will the workers improve the HG setting up areas?

Last point: as Joe indicated it would be recommended to block the entrance of the trail otherwise it will be easy to have cars using the "road."
Walt Melo
walt.melo [at] gmail [dot] com
+1.804.walt.743
Joe Schad

Post by Joe Schad »

We don't need 4 wheelers or cars driving up the trail or trading up the launch area. There are a lot of folks who drive 4 wheelers on the mountain.

Joe
markc

Post by markc »

Yes, we definitely need some large and strategically placed boulders at the trailhead, otherwise all kinds of yahoos are going to crawl up there. Willing to help with that, eg, call the contractor to find out what it would cost to bring boulders in.... Or possibly concrete bollards? Would have to allow wheelchair access, since that's one of the points in the plan.
PTerry

Post by PTerry »

Update: Woodstock Work ToBeDone:

1) Loose Rock Clean-up. Rocks scattered around launch can be picked up & placed in the new seating box.
2) Seat box needs rocks placed inside & then gravel moved from the pile into the seating box. Wheel barrow & buckets required. Shovels are on site.
3) Tree Cutting. Bottom of launch there are ~6 smaller trees to drop. They are marked. (Only USFS certified chainsaw allowed)
4) Steep soil launch extension area needs to be compacted down w/ tampen tool. Tool on site.
5) Large rock needs to be moved back into place at trail head to block ATV traffic at road side.
6) Seating area steps & sign assembly needs to be built. (Pat has the drawings & details)

Please let me know if anyone completes any of this work this weekend.

Thanks!
Pat
Patrick F Terry
CHGPA President
202-309-5362
PatrickFTerry@gmail.com
P4, M2, Observer