P2/H2 Couple New to the area

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

sculpepper

P2/H2 Couple New to the area

Post by sculpepper »

Hey all, I'm new to the area and hoping to get some flying in. My wife and I are P2/H2s that learned flying at lookout and the SPP flight school when it was around. I finished 3 solo HG ATs last winter and haven't been able to fly since getting into the DC area. I'd love to meet up with you all some time to hear stories and get some site guidance. Maybe there are some training hills to practice some launches from?
Dave Gills

Re: P2/H2 Couple New to the area

Post by Dave Gills »

Welcome,
Hope to see you on the hill soon.
What flying site is the closest to you?
mingram

Post by mingram »

Welcome! From your username I'm guessing you're located in Culpepper? Give us a location and we'll help you find the closest sites.

Also, once you become a dues paying member we'll invite you to the google group and send you the link for the site guide. You can sign up via paypal and a google info form.
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
mingram

Post by mingram »

And if you're available Wednesday I'm hosting a meetup in Arlington!
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
sculpepper

Post by sculpepper »

We're in Chantilly. Sorry I missed the meetup Wednesday! I haven't looked around so I'm not too sure what flying sites are near us, I'm really just curious if there is a training hill nearby. I've lost my depth perception recently and it's been awhile since I last flew so I'm trying to be a bit cautious.
mingram

Post by mingram »

Sorry to hear that! I guess that's permanent?

The closest hill is Taylor Farm east of Fredericksburg. The site requires a waiver which you can find on our homepage.
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
wmelo

Post by wmelo »

Welcome!
I live close to u guys: Ashburn
You may want to do some scouter towing @blue sky (Manauin, VA) to practice. When I was a HG2 I went there & had 10 short flights in a day! It was great & it is less physically intense then Going up & down the hill @ Taylor's farm. After u fell better about flying, u may want to go to Taylor's farm to practice foot launch.

If u like, I can let u know the next time I am going to Blue Sky: we could ride together.
Walt Melo
walt.melo [at] gmail [dot] com
+1.804.walt.743