The passing of TR Johnson

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

jimsmess

The passing of TR Johnson

Post by jimsmess »

Our dear friend lost his battle with ALS on monday august 22. A major figure in the central Pa HG scene scince the early 70s, he would often be seen at Hyner, Jacks, Pleasant Gap,Sacramento, 501, and some of the less known sites in the area. He had occasionally flown the sites in the Capitol club, and would come to Highland a few times a year, until his illness took his ability to fly, less than 2 years ago.I had the priviledge of being his flying buddy for many years, our antics in the air and on the ground leave me with more fond memories then I could begin to repeat. On Sunday the 28th there will be a visitation from 4-7 pm at Allen funeral home 745 Market st Bloomsburg Pa.17815 On monday the 29th at 10 am funeral mass at St Columba church 342 Iron st, Bloomsburg,Pa 17815
Thanks, Jim Messina
XCanytime

Re: The passing of TR Johnson

Post by XCanytime »

TR was one of the nicest folks I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. I first met him in 1993 at the SAC. I would cross paths with him every year at the SAC and occasionally at Hyner View. I flew Elizabethville for the 2nd time in April 2009 and ended up landing out at the airstrip at Carsonville. With no ride I walked the 5 miles to the main LZ to get a ride back up to launch to fetch my truck. TR and Jesse Fulkersin retrieved my equipment from the airport no questions asked and drove it to the restaurant in Elizabethville where everybody was meeting for dinner. What a pair of nice guys! I remember fondly him and Jesse travelling in TR's old VW Vanagon to an impromptu Pulpit Fly In we had in late May 2009 after the installation of the pad . The three of us had a ball and kept in touch by phone occasionally after that. I remember talking to him on the phone just over 2 years ago when his illness was just manifesting itself. He cracked me up on the phone that night, like he always did. I'll never forget his humor and kind soul. :( Bacil
Last edited by XCanytime on Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Larry Huffman

Post by Larry Huffman »

TR was a great guy and will certainly be missed.
Larry
John Simon

Post by John Simon »

So bummed to hear about TR. It was always great to see him at Highland and it was a pleasure to know him. Such a nice surprise each time I arrived at the field to see TR there, you knew it was going to be a really good day and maybe a better night!
I know how close you guys were, thinking of you Jimmie.

John