September Wonderwinds

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

mchevalier

September Wonderwinds

Post by mchevalier »

Finally the monsoon season here in CO is over and I got some good airtime in this weekend. A bunch of us showed up at the local site, Villa Grove on Saturday. Too strong midday so we came back in the evening for a glass off and what a glass off it was. Lift everywhere, easy to get to 13,500. Some of us went north, some went south and the goal was to land at a big pot(ter's) party in the little town of Villa Grove. I flew to the north end of the Sangres went out over the valley and headed south to the party. Landed well after dush and about a mile short, packed up and beelined across the prairie to the party. Dark by then but I had a little flashlite. Found the big party by the sound of the live band and the smell. Of food and pot(s). Being created and heated. It was at a big studio and workshop called Escuella. All kind of pot(s) for sale. Bought a tee shirt with a picture of pot(s).
Sunday was strong again midday so we came back again for the glass off. Got to 13 5 again. We all went south this time and almost made it to Crestone into a headwind before deciding it was getting late and hightailed it back and had to work to get down. I brough a camera and took a few pictures while flying which you can see at
http://community.webshots.com/user/mchevalier77 in the folder called Villa Grove Flying. September and October is the best time to fly here.
Flew last weekend with my new harness for the first time. Got a Dust Devil harness which is supposed to be a copy of a Rotor. Not sure I like it, couldn't go upright enough for a good landing and pounded breaking a downtube. Needs some mods so I'm back to using my old Blackhawk. MC
Spark

Post by Spark »

Awesome photos! Now I've got to go to Villa Grove and try to get some of that.

Thanks for sharing the good airtime stories.
'Spark
Scott

Post by Scott »

Incredible photos! (I thought Woodstock was beautiful...) Is Villa Grove a reasonable site to fly (e.g. forgiving)? Or is it hardcore, rough-and-tumble, Owens Valley-style big air?

Scott
mchevalier

Post by mchevalier »

>>Incredible photos! (I thought Woodstock was beautiful...) Is Villa Grove a reasonable site to fly (e.g. forgiving)? Or is it hardcore, rough-and-tumble, Owens Valley-style big air?

Scott

It can be either way, you've got to pick conditions carefully. During the summer, most pilots won't fly it during the middle of the day when you can get your ass kicked. Early or later are usually better. It can be very fickle, reminding me of Spruce Knob and North Mtn. in WV in that you can go there and it's tailing and go to Whale Mountain across the valley and it's tailing. The weather can change quickly, I've broken down on launch in a snow squall in August. But the launch is easy for being at 9600 ft, and the LZ is big and easy for being at 8000 ft. The mountains above launch rise to around 13K, some peaks to the south at over 14K. MC