Highland Challenge (mountain version)

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

lbunner

Highland Challenge (mountain version)

Post by lbunner »

I heard the challenge boys had an outstanding weekend at Jack's and 501. Someone please write it up for the rest of us! IGC files would be even better. Does Charlie have the results on a separate website somewhere?
Bun
callen

Re: Highland Challenge (mountain version)

Post by callen »

Larry,
Don't have site up yet just also getting IGC's in. Have both of my flights on gopro keel mount camera (will post to youtube later). John made goal first day and i was about 1/2 way. John was about 3miles short of goal on second day and i was about 1/3 down course. Overall very good flying both days. Though very technical i.e. upwind/cross wind with numerous ridges / mountains to cross and rolling LZ's.

Charlie
lbunner

Post by lbunner »

Awesome, my adrenaline is flowing just hearing about the challenging tasks you selected. Having flown the area a number of times I can only imagine how technical the days were. Congrats on pushing the limits in central PA.
Bun
Brit_in_SoMD

Post by Brit_in_SoMD »

Thanks go to:

Charlie for organising and hosting
John Dullahan for driving with us on Sunday
Dennis Pagen for Jack's site brief and advice on Saturday

We Sportsters weren't as successful as the Openers, but we had fun.
I managed a huge 7.5km on the first leg of our 18km each-way out-and-return task on Saturday.
Greg led the way into the air on Sunday, although he didn't head over the back.
Brit_in_SoMD

Post by Brit_in_SoMD »

I didn't fly on Sunday at 501 - me and my Sport2 didn't feel comfortable with the glide required to make the bailout LZ during mid-day conditions, when there could be sink around.

But we had a nice day out with friends in the country.
And following John Simon was fun - that Combat goes like stink; it took John Dullahan quite a while to overtake him in the Jeep!

Richard
John Simon

Post by John Simon »

We had a ball. I also want to thank everyone as well, especially Charlie, John D and Dennis Pagen for all their generosity and help. Charlie put us all up and we had a nice little party Saturday night under a dark and starry sky, sipping beer and wine and telling lies. Was great to meet Krista and George as well.

Tasks were tough and seemed always to be upwind. We got late starts which did not help, ran out of daylight/lift on the last day and nearly so on the first. My new glider is a serious piece of kit and I couldn't be happier.

Also thanks to all the Hyner guys for their help too.

See you in a few weeks.

John is
callen

Post by callen »

For those interested below is the GoPro footage of my flight from Jacks. I cross the mountains and river upwind around 30-40min in. [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56kmHPX3YZQ[/youtube]
lbunner

Post by lbunner »

Enjoyed the video and following along on GE to see where you were at. Man, one more climb!
Bun
callen

Post by callen »

Yup, I should have pushed forward to the cloud in front that's where John got a nice climb later in the day. Instead I went to a weaker cloud over the airport in Mifflenton. I was about 1.5hrs ahead so the day was still going strong. We left a car at the weis market in mifflenton which I thought was next to the airport so it seemed like the best place to land. Turns out it was a gas station and the weis market was on the other side of town :( However for my 2nd flight in over a year its not a bad start to the season all things considered especially considering my first flight was a 5min sled ride. Let me know if you can make the 3rd or 4th weekends would be nice to have a firm yes or no.
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

lbunner wrote:Enjoyed the video and following along on GE to see where you were at. Man, one more climb!
Ditto with my Hubbard Scientific raised relief map. You are lucky that an irate farmer didn't greet you :x . Didn't know that the Mifflintown Airport is still there by 322. Which direction was the windsock pointing by the 08/26 runway? Thanks for posting, and looking forward to watching your 501 flight video. Bacil
Last edited by XCanytime on Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
callen

Post by callen »

never saw the airport windsock. Was more concerned with having a flat to upwind slope and went with the prevailing wind direction of the day.