100% HG mountain comp, Race-to-Goal in PA

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

krryerson

100% HG mountain comp, Race-to-Goal in PA

Post by krryerson »

"Charlie comp lives! Location, PA, 100% mountain comp."

"NOTE, This is a quasi invite only meet and not all that register will necessary be able to attend. The limitation is due to it being the first transitional Highland Challenge competition and the skills that may be required at certain sites as well as possible launch limitations."

"The Highland Challenge is a Race-to-Goal Hang Gliding competition in memory of the great flying experiences we've all been graced with at Highland Aerosports. Its an 8 day competition comprised of: one site preparation weekend and four competition weekends."

Work party weekend -- June 4-5
1st Weekend -- June 11-12
2nd Weekend -- June 25-26
3rd Weekend -- July 16-17
4th Weekend -- August 13-14 (Awards Ceremony and prizes)

https://sites.google.com/site/highlandc ... e2016/home
smurfsky101

Re: 100% HG mountain comp, Race-to-Goal in PA

Post by smurfsky101 »

Excited!
H4, P4, M1
callen

Post by callen »

If you're interested please register by Tuesday April 26th. I need a final head count after that it's closed.

Charles
lbunner

Post by lbunner »

Can I come and wind dummy for you guys?
Bun
jimsmess

Post by jimsmess »

Larry, bring it on, we would love to have you and your volumes of mountain XC knowledge, on our new adventure. This year we are leaving our comfort zone [aerotow over open FLAT terrain] and going old school in the Ridge and Valley terrain of central Pa. While I cut my teeth on most of these sites years ago, for some, this will be their intro to the area. There are several challenges, 1st launching the Armada from sites between 600-1000 feet and staying up and together. 2nd choosing tasks that don't put anyone in tiger country. 3rd being able to identify safe LZ's, sometimes the rolling undulating terrain in the area can be hard to read from altitude. Your over the top weather analysis will also be welcome. If any one has any input on these items please chime in, now is the time to bring them up for open disscusion.
Jim M
Ward Odenwald

Post by Ward Odenwald »

“3rd, being able to identify safe LZ's, sometimes the rolling undulating terrain in the area can be hard to read from altitude.”

Yes, and in central PA the undulating valley terrain is a common feature. Plus, from June to September most of their tillable land is in crop. Restricted LZs during the summer are not unique to central PA but given that most of the valleys flanking the ridges around Liverpool PA are made up of rolling hills (mini-ridges), crop/tillable land is at a premium. Using Google Earth views, it looks like the valleys are populated with dairy farms that have divided their land into different crops (most likely wheat, corn and soy) with their remaining non-tillable space used for grazing. It’s been my experience from landing in farms that have subdivided their land like this is that the remaining potential LZ space is not in crop due to its hilly/rocky terrain.

Don’t have an easy solution for this dilemma, but to suggest that a site or sites closer to open flatlands be considered.

Ward
lbunner

Post by lbunner »

The Pulpit, The Sac, Jack's Mtn and Woodstock all offer excellent XC opportunities and thus would be good sites for an RTG task. I know Charlie has been thinking of this for several years and now due to unfortunate circumstances it may happen. I like the idea of giving this a shot as many pilots on the comp side would really like to get back to the mountains.
Bun