Property for sale

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

dbodner

Property for sale

Post by dbodner »

Field across the road from the Pulpit HG LZ. Anyone have a spare $225K burning a hole in their pockets? Buy this: http://www.trulia.com/property/30392770 ... g-PA-17233

Fisher Rd. This property probably isn't an easy glide from the current launch. But, it MIGHT be an easy glide from another point on the road that might be developable. http://www.trulia.com/property/32030010 ... d-PA-15533
David Bodner
Richard Hays

Re: Property for sale

Post by Richard Hays »

Well.......the forementioned property is what we've always prayed for. And 25 acres is ( so long as its reasonably flat ) more than enough. Asking price doesn't always mean selling price. Is anybody looking into this? Just curious. Can all wing types get to it on a buoyant glide?

Other thoughts are if we could rent out the property for ag purposes leaving enough space for us to land in....would it/could it offset a monthly mortgage? Or zoning......maybe sell off lot if its possible ?

Just curious. Opportunities like this may not come often in the ever expanding development in the valley....

Richard ( busted hip ) Hays
Dan T

Post by Dan T »

Rich,

If that's the property that I think it is, immediately across the road from the 'ball field' primary. It's ideal. It slopes just slightly uphill, it's definitely flat enough even for an early H2 and it's plenty big enough. I've landed there a few times. In may respects it's easier than the main field because it doesn't slope downhill.

The only downside is, like the current primary, it's a bit of a reach if you are bombing out on a sled.

Dan T
Danny Brotto

Post by Danny Brotto »

Or sell the existing launch property and buy a property further down the ridge and develop a launch there?

Danny Brotto
markc

Post by markc »

10k investment by 20-ish people... That doesn't seem implausible to me.
silverwings

Post by silverwings »

It is unclear on the map how far beyond the road the property starts. Looks to be close to the golf coarse where Bacil likes to land when he doesn't go over the back. Thus, even if our launch was close, for light or strong conditions it might be too far for some glider types to make it.
john middleton (202)409-2574 c
Danny Brotto

Post by Danny Brotto »

Playing with Google Earth, I gathered altitude and distances for some scenarios. I put a "hypothetical" launch directly adjacent to the "new LZ" (the for sale property.) Turns out that hypothetical launch is right at the overlook cutout where 16 crosses the mountain. There are power lines there to contend with so perhaps the "launch" should be pinned in front of the power lines.

Here's what I came up with:

1) Existing launch to existing LZ is an 8:1 glide.
2) Existing launch to bail out LZ is a 5.4:1 glide.
3) Hypothetical new launch to new LZ is a 6.3:1 glide.
4) Hypothetical new launch to existing LZ is a 5.4:1 glide.

The scene out in front of the "hypothetical new launch" is a little busy (with houses and structures) and shallow so not ideal, but the existing LZ now becomes a viable bailout with a 5.4:1 glide (similar to the existing launch/bailout.)

Figures below...

Danny Brotto

existing launch 2115 msl
existing lz 1104 msl
distance 8064 ft
glide 8.0

existing launch 2115 msl
bail out 1182 msl
distance 5000 ft
glide 5.4

New launch 1973 msl
new lz 986 msl