Highland Aerosports 2016 Season News

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

aerosports

Highland Aerosports 2016 Season News

Post by aerosports »

Greetings Pilots,

We wanted to give everyone an update on Highland’s current situation. We’re currently still searching for a tug pilot for the 2016 season. In the event that we cannot find someone to tow for us, we will be unable to operate. We will continue searching throughout this month, but if we don’t find someone that can commit, we will be forced to shut down. With our current rent situation, we cannot afford to stay located at RJD without flight operations. If anyone has any leads on a qualified pilot looking for work, please let us know.

As some of you may have heard, the sale of the Ridgely airport closed at the end of January. With the change of owners, we’ve had a very substantial increase in rent and decrease in hangar space. This means we will unfortunately need to increase some prices if we are able to continue operations. We will have more news on that after we finalize our tug pilot situation.

We’ve also been exploring locations for a new base of operations without much success. We will continue to look for more affordable accommodations throughout the coming weeks. If we can’t continue our operations at RJD or another location, we will unfortunately be forced to liquidate our assets and cease operations.

If anyone has any questions at this time, please refrain from calling us as we’re still away from the phone for the winter. Please send us an email to hanglide@aerosports.net and we’ll try to respond in a timely manner. We will also keep a more active eye on the forum and respond accordingly. We will update you with information as it becomes available.

Blue Skies,
Sunny & Adam
Highland Aerosports Inc.
Hang Gliding Lessons, Solo Aerotows,
Sales, & Service
http://www.aerosports.net
jimsmess

Re: Highland Aerosports 2016 Season News

Post by jimsmess »

Say it isn't so!!! If there is anything I can do, let me know. Highland has become a second home, and the crew is like family. I hope that a solution can be found to continue to operate this first class operation
Jim Messina
Ward Odenwald

Post by Ward Odenwald »

Couldn’t agree more with Jim’s comments. Highland is a HUGH part of our Family, our Community!!

Sunny & Adam (and anyone else), please-please let us know how we can help bring a tug pilot to Highland.

Ward
carweill

Post by carweill »

I think many of us feel the same way.
(Even the one's that don't fly as much anymore)

I hope in the next few days we can come up with effective ways to turn this around.

Carlos
krryerson

Post by krryerson »

Hope it works out and I am really going to be bummed if you guys close.
Have to drive all the way down to Richmond too for an alternative flight Park.
What about Massey?
Knut
Rich E

Post by Rich E »

Adam,

Have you thought of posting on the .org? With the recent support to get the RRG funded maybe the thought of one of the best tow parks with the best team closing for want of a tug pilot might get someone to commit for the season?

PS. I know some black ops guys - want Rooney renditioned and returned...
callen

Post by callen »

Arg. Let me know what I can do. I'll reach out in a PM I may have some ideas once I know the situation.

Charles
Dan T

Post by Dan T »

Bummer,

While I haven't been there in a while some of my fondest flight memories originate from there.

Have you considered some alternate form of towing? One of our PG pilots has been getting good air in Florida with over the land winch tows. If yu could make that work you'd have a whole new customer base in addition to the one you have.

My ideas probably aren't practical on a number of fronts but I figured it wouldn't hurt to toss them out there anyway.

Dan T
Rich E

Post by Rich E »

Dan,

Good point - truck towing...?

Rich
markc

Post by markc »

Just a guess on my part...

But a doubling of the tow fee for solo pilots? Or a tripling of the tow fee.... Or maybe even more?

I think many pilots would recognize that paying more for their tows (translation: tug maintenance & flight-park support),
as opposed to all of their typical/secondary weekend flying expenses (gas, BKing, SBucks, beer, dinner whatever), is still a
PRETTY DAMN GOOD DEAL.

I don't know anything about the actual costs of running a flight park. And maybe you have already gamed-out a bunch of cost structures...

But if *not*, please keep in mind that you have a dedicated customer base, and I'm pretty sure that many pilots would be willing
and able to support higher fees.

MarkC

PS: And the hope would be that more revenue would then help attract and retain a tug-pilot. Don't know how realistic that is,
but hoping....
jimsmess

Post by jimsmess »

Maybe we can pass the hat and come up with a signing bonus to help find a tug pilot. maybe we could pay for air fair and import one from the southern hemishere, just throwing some ideas out. Maybe we can shame our favorite tug pilot to come back for a encore performance [Jim Rooney]
Jim M
Rich E

Post by Rich E »

Jim M,

Tried that but it turns out that NZ is the land of opportunity for migrant tug and paraglider pilots. He is staying and has no plans to return any time soon and good luck to him. He did us proud and is off on a new adventure.

Rich

PS. Damn his black heart... ;)
krryerson

Post by krryerson »

Arrgg.
Well I am all for helping with a bonus to get someone to signed up, if that is what takes to get the business up running this year. Would also pay twice for each tow, if that is what it takes too.
If it turns out they have to move, will be happy to spend many weekends helping in the move.
Really hope we can find a solution and let me know how to help.
Knut
Ward Odenwald

Post by Ward Odenwald »

Increased tow fees and coming up with a signing bonus are both excellent suggestions.

I’m also in favor of a switching from a “pay as you fly” fee to a more structured format, a payment schedule that eliminates the risk of bad weather (no fly days) from Highland’s income. During most, if not all, tow seasons there have been many weekends/consecutive weekends/weeks when bad weather or dangerous flying conditions have essentially shut down Highland’s livelihood. In order to insure a consistent income from their towing operation and help cover overhead costs, as a local, I’m willing to pay in advance for a season pass that includes tow fees, maintenance costs and facility rent. If we can reduce or eliminate the financial threat of bad weather from their bottom line, we can help Highland survive.

In addition, we have all greatly benefitted from their free advice. Sunny and Adam have significantly helped us become better, safer pilots! I view their help as a significant part of my continuing education and believe that their advice should also be factored into the cost of flying at Highland.

Ward
Last edited by Ward Odenwald on Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blaine

Post by Blaine »

All of these are great ideas. Count me in on whatever it takes to keep them in business and being able to provide for themselves. Without Highland my flying opertunities will be severely decreased.
H3
443-742-3383
jimrooney

Post by jimrooney »

Awe, it touches my black heart to hear such wonderful lies about me. *shucks*
But yeah, sorry, I am staying in NZ though for many reasons.
In addition to absolutely loving this wonderful country, the IRS hammers me if I spend more than 44 days there.
International tax laws YEAY!

I hope the guys find someone.
Eric

Post by Eric »

Adam/Sunny,

Can you train someone to tow? I know at least one, young, licensed pilot who you don't know, and they may know others -- what are the specific qualifications? I'd consider contributing a little with a sign-on kicker too...

I've truck tow loops on my harness, but I'm in need of training.

Aside from an increased cost per tow, a monthly fee structure for the season sounds reasonable, but what might that include? Glider/harness storage, camping, showers, pilot's lounge access, internet, ...? What about a "VIP" package too? E.g., "fast pass" to the front of the tow line up, etc...

In looking for a new spot, it'd be brilliant if you guys could set up and fly near or in one of mountain site's LZs in the local area and maybe even have a hill training operation too. The local scene is hurting big time in many ways due to loss of instructors and threatened LZs. (LMFP North?) Not sure how that would work in relation to the success of maintaining your tandem flight operations though. I know your trying to position yourselves in a way that you can tap into DC, MD, VA, PA, NJ, NY. Beach traffic and crossing the bridge has always been a pain and has kept me from coming out more than once.

Pic of Mr. Jim R. taking me to 10K for my 1st intro flight back in... 2008?

https://goo.gl/photos/2N2818QaMnBDdZe28
New H2, AT, FL
Rich E

Post by Rich E »

Jim,

Hopefully no lies and black heart was clearly in jest...

Seriously good luck in your new adventure/opportunity but do know that you will be sorely missed buddy.

Cheers

Rich
darbbb

Post by darbbb »

Really hope things work out. I agree that the signing bonus for a new pilot might be a great idea, and of course I'm willing to kick in. Dan L. has already posted something on the.org about this, so hopefully that gets the word out a little better. Truck towing is great, and I'm a regular at blue sky, But it would be a shame not to have our friendly neighborhood dragonfly pilot hauling us into the air.

Brad
Rich E

Post by Rich E »

Perhaps just a variation of Ward's idea but an annual 'Highland Membership' fee to be 'allowed' to fly there followed by tow fees etc. Payable at start of season and pro-rata'd for new pilots turning up mid-season. Would give Sunny and Adam working capital early in the year.

Lots of great options coming up - if we can fund the RRG we can save Highland!

Rich
Dan T

Post by Dan T »

I'm guessing that the great majority of their revenue comes from students trying out the sport. If that's the case then any practical answer means finding a tow pilot.

One of our Region 9 USHPA Directors (Felipe) heads USHPAs tow committee. It might not hurt to put a word out to him that Highland Aerosports is in need of a tow pilot.

Just out of curiosity how long does it take to go from zero to fully qualified tow pilot these days and what does it cost? Anybody know?

It seems like it might be a fun retirement job to me.

Dan T
FlyingFelix

Post by FlyingFelix »

Now this really sucks! I know I'm gone from the area, but going there for the ECC remains a highlight for me. Cease operations? That's just unacceptable! Being a tow pilot seems like such fun, I wonder why such shortage?
I really hope an answer is found, and soon.
Best,

Felix.
Felix.
Christian

Post by Christian »

I will do what ever I can to help. I finally get out of jail and now I still cant fly.... UGGG
jimrooney

Post by jimrooney »

Oh great... NOW there's a signing bonus?! (hahahaha)

Hrm. I don't have the answers here. I can shed some light on a few things from my perspective, but that's about it.
I hope they find a solution.

Training tug pilots is a tricky one. Yeah, it's possible. But if nothing else, it takes time. That little plane is a handful.
Once you've got someone qualified into the plane, it's a whole other ball game towing in mid day conditions.
Again, it's possible... it's just takes a bit more than you'd expect.
Till you've got a few seasons behind you, you're still pretty green.

The first hurdle for towing is well known and obvious... PPL.
Once you've got PPL though, you need 100hrs PIC. That's the one that trips people up. That's a lot of time and money.
20 hours (minimum) of your PPL will be dual and thus doesn't count. 100hrs is hella-expensive.
You need tail dragger and tow signoffs, but those are minor in comparison.

There are ways. There are also people out there that might consider towing. There's a lot of flight instructors out there flying for the sake of building hours. The tug can be an easy way to bulk up. There are also skydiving jump plane pilots that can be woo'd over to the dark side. Both of these types have the hurdle of learning to fly the tug though. Again, it's not impossible, but it is time and you have to eat your ego to do it.

KHK did a sponsorship program to get their guy. They helped him attain PPL and then the 100hrs in trade for a time commitment.
100hrs is way less expensive if you own the plane.

The scary bit though for a tug owner is green guys are high risk. Till you wash the green off, it's hard for a place to pick you up.
Add all that to the financial shoestring budget of a towpark and you can see the difficulties.

Oh yeah, then, once your tug pilot has some hours behind him, he's way more valuable out there on the market. It's hard to compete with the airlines.

Retired tug pilots though?
Like I said, I don't know. It's a tough problem.

Jim
lbunner

Post by lbunner »

I'd recommend contacting Vicki Moyes in Australia. She knows of a large group of tow pilots that already have the aerotow experience at Forbes who just might be enticed to come to America during their winter months to tow in MD.
Bun