Saturday Chute Repack Report

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Scott

Saturday Chute Repack Report

Post by Scott »

I arrived at Blue Sky around noon on Saturday to find BVH and Cragin already staking out long plastic sheets in the wind shadow of the hangar for repacking chutes. A good crowd was on hand---from CHGPA, Daniel B., Carlos, Dan T., Hugh, Dave B., Cragin, Linda B., as well as a good crowd of Blue Sky regulars.

Alas, it was a crappy day for flying---winds were blowing from the E around 10-12, with occasional gusts up to 15+. Bill Priday towed up around 1:30 and came back down pretty quickly. On his second tow, things got so nasty Bill bailed at a couple hundred feet, which convinced the rest of us to stay on the ground (Bill's a solid aerotow pilot who rarely pins off early).

The chute repack was great! Many thanks to BVH and Cragin for supervising/teaching all afternoon. I've been wanting to do this for a year---never having seen the contents of my chute pouch and wondering if there even was a chute in there! :)

Several of us hung in Steve's simulator (with control frame) to throw our chutes. In my case, I pretended to be flying along happily, and asked Linda to say "NOW!" to simulate a sudden catastrophe---at that point, Dave started wrenching me around violently enough that my (helmeted) head got abused by the control frame. I was glad that my chute came out pretty easily, and I hossed it with both hands, getting it 10' from the simulator. Not quite as good as spinning around...but way better than never having done it at all.

Then we inflated our chutes to air them out. The day's excitement came when Linda got caught holding her bridle in a stronger cycle (chute inflated) and started getting dragged across the field. I jogged after her, thinking I'd catch up and help her wrestle it down. Steve came after us in the golf cart yelling "Let it go Linda!" which she did, right before I got there. The chute then picked up speed (still fully inflated and dragging Linda's knee-hanger harness).

I continued to run after it, and when I heard Steve approaching from behind in the golf cart I thought "Oh good---Steve will go get it." NOT. Steve started yelling "Go get it Scott! RUN!!!" So I went into full sprint mode and made a diving tackle of the harness (Cal Ripken would be proud). Of course I then found myself being dragged across the grass, skinning my elbow...but I slowed it down enough for Steve to grab the gore lines, and together we wrestled it down. Definitely a good lesson on the power of a chute in the wind! (Is that what PGs feel like? :))

In spite of not flying, it was a fun day. Daniel, Carlos, and a few others aerotowed around 6pm when things had calmed down, but I think they all had sleds.

I feel much more comfortable now with increased knowledge of and experience with my chute!

Scott
rancerupp

Post by rancerupp »

Glad you guys had fun, wish I could have been there. I'm recovering from some back pain and now I have some ear problems. Next time...

Funny thing about parachutes when you inflate them, if a gust comes up and you try to wrestle them, they seem to just get stronger. The thing to do when inflating is 1) NEVER attach yourself to the chute, 2) if it is pulling you where you don't want to go, then just LET GO. With the lack of weight it will usually deflate, although you might have a rats nest to clean up. If you don't like the idea of just letting go, then let go of all but one or two adjacent side risers, it should instantly deflate and become a flag. Nothing is guaranteed but these rules are usually best. Hope this helps for next time.

Rance
hang_pilot

Post by hang_pilot »

We packed 11 chutes on Saturday at Manquinn and returned a small profit along with our thanks to our host, Steve Wendt. Thanks to Cragin and Brian for giving their time, energy and expertise to this important task! The plan is to hold the next repack at Highland and then continue alternating between our two awesome local flight parks.

If you could not make it and are overdue in repacking your reserve, PLEASE drop it off with a pro or mail it to the manufacturer.

Pleasant sled Saturday evening. Dinner at Vinny's w. Cragin and Carlos. Passed a late night fireside, passing a bottle, listening to Brian, Bill Priday and Jim Carrigan(?) play music and Tex tell stories.

It was soarable Sunday by 10:30 a.m. Rowdy day! As Mark said about Windsor, Tex saved my butt a few times. Strong lift in very defined streets but it was windy and I had a hard time managing both drift and lift. Got to cloudbase a few times (around 4600 agl) but only managed 40 minutes or so times two flights.

I was hoping to try out truck towing but the wind was too strong and cross. Steve did have a successful scooter tow lesson, Cragin joined in. It's great that he has all three towing options: stationary, platform and aerotow. There might be other operations with all three, but I can't think of any.

I kited both days. I'm getting pretty comfortable in the reverse position when I can watch the wing. I'm still fairly incompetent forward when I have to adjust by feel.

More on Pulpit tonight.

Glad to read about so many great flights lately!

Daniel
cell 301.275.6584