Valle de Bravo - Monarca Open Interim Reports

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

krista

Valle de Bravo - Monarca Open Interim Reports

Post by krista »

DAY 1:

It was a 66km track (optimized) or 80km task.

I didn't do so well, but I had a great flight. I launched really early and took my grand old time going to the start cylinder. I ended up going past the start so that I could play the down wind leg to the first turn point. However, then I had a moment of second guessing and spent a good long while checking instruments to make sure that I was on the right course. I had one instrument screwed up, so I wanted to make sure the other was okay. Then I essentially got distracted by the radio comms of a guy in a tree below me, lost the thermal I was in, and then got pinned against the mesa in the strong wind. It was quite a workout, and enjoyable, but HARD.

Great day overall and hoping to do better tomorrow. I love this sport. I'm so happy to be back in the air again!

DAY 2:

So, the second task was a tough one. The wind was super strong and several pilots got pinned. Even the Enzo's were getting beaten. I have never seen an Enzo sink so fast before! Wooo-ee!

I didn't even make it to the start cylinder before dirting out---didn't even reach the official LZ! I was in good company though with a contingent from Seattle and some Mexican pilots.

You can see the sink and wind in the track. Oh well. Better luck tomorrow!

DAY 3:

Cancelled due to wind. Hanging out with sky gods in Valle.

DAY 4:

Hasn't happened yet. Stay tuned for an 8am push to launch and likely weather call.
dbodner

Re: Valle de Bravo - Monarca Open Interim Reports

Post by dbodner »

Then I essentially got distracted by the radio comms of a guy in a tree below me,...
Being unable to walk and chew gum at the same time, I'm sure I would've succumbed, too. Thanks for posting your adventures. They've been enjoyable reads.
David Bodner
krista

Post by krista »

Day 5:

It was a 70km task west, northeast, south then north to the lake. I only got 45km along the course before me and a handful of pilots got stopped by the headwind. It was a great blue day of flying. Not many people to goal but still a wonderful task. I flew with a group of pilots the whole time, which was a first for me. And! I'm finally starting to get the hang of it! I was finding good, if not even better, lines and thermals then some of the other gaggle when I did my own thing. I think I found at least half of the thermals for the group that went with me. And I am starting to get the hang of lift lines, but haven't quite mastered the convergence. I need to figure out how to stay just under the clouds with full bar, but not going into them or falling out of their suck.

And, hehehe, I flew farther than some really good pilots that task. Which was kind of nice. But alas, I finished 91 of 148. Not very good, well more than half bad, but I'm learning. And there were some impressive pilots there! Great to pick their brains!
krryerson

Post by krryerson »

I am so jealous you are flying and are having a great time in January, flying in Mexico. But so happy for you. Great job and thanks for posting it.
Knut