Woodstock, Tuesday, Dec 15

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

krryerson

Woodstock, Tuesday, Dec 15

Post by krryerson »

Hoping to get a flight in on Tuesday, 12/15/15 at WS. If weather corporates with us.. . Going to meet Bacil and hope to be there latest 10:30am. Will know for sure, (99%) by Monday night, if we are going.
Knut
andybalkphysics

Re: Woodstock, Tuesday, Dec 15

Post by andybalkphysics »

If it looks promising tonight I'll give it a shot also.

-Andy
krryerson

Post by krryerson »

Great Andy! Looks like Hugh also might join us.
Knut
andybalkphysics

Won't be able to get there till noon but it's still looking OK by me.
krryerson

Post by krryerson »

ETA 10:30AM
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

Bacil launched at 1030 (constrained by -hawk, ptui - work schedule: 5 mph on launch, but strong SW cross. He was promptly on the ground, I went down to get him; Knut arrived and drove us up. Kelvin arrived. I launched at 1155 and had a very slow climb going SW along the ridge. Eventually some thermals blew in and I got 650 over launch. Had a sailplane fly under me. Went out and landed after an hour - glad I did: when Kelvin landed, he reported rowdy air at altitude. Knut and Andy in the air at 2 pm. Adam and Homer getting ready. Bodner here with Moto Guzzi.
- Hugh
andybalkphysics

legendary day at woodstock. gave bacil a warm gretting as i passed him on the road, helped kelvin and knut take off, them waited for a launch crew from john and friend. got up easily, and pretty much just boated around for the hour or so. must have been 2 feet from a eagle/vulture which was chasing me for 10 unexagerated minutes. also, flew with the KS duo discus sailplane from the thomas crowne affair movie, and 23, donk know whoose.

worth the day off big time.
andybalkphysics

oh it wasnt the one from the movie according to google image search :(
Danny Brotto

Post by Danny Brotto »

"KS" was owned by Karl Striedieck who sold it to someone who fly's out of Front Royal. Karl just bought a Duo Discus XL.

"DUO" was the glider used in the movie and is owned by Doris and Tom Knauff out of Ridge Soaring near State College PA. Doris and Tom (in wigs and makeup) did the actual flying for the movie.

Interesting tidbit is that the Duo canopy hinges on the right side. For the glamour shot after landing, the director wanted it to hinge on the left. That accommodation was accomplished with duct tape.

Both Duo Discus, different ones though.

Danny Brotto
andybalkphysics

know when he sold it? ks buzzed pulpit launch a couple years back and i always wondered if it was karl
krryerson

Post by krryerson »

One of my best winter flights at Woodstock and conditions was almost perfect after 2:00PM. Thanks Bacil!
Launched at 1:41PM in a pleasant wind cycle of perhaps 7-8 mph. Andy was my wireman. Thanks!
The timing was perfect and got easy up to 1000 feet AGL. Flew for 1:40 hrs. and it just got better and better. Topped out many times up to 4020 feet AGL and did only experience rowdy air one’s.
John and Adam launched later and Andy was in the air most of the time with me.
We flew with two sailplane over 3 periods, along the ridge and it was so fun sharing thermals with them all. Did see two eagles, one flying next to Andy for 5-8 minutes. They did look like eagles for me.
It was also a warm day, considering this is mid-December and was never cold.
Often it is very rowdy air when landing at WS, but not today for me and think I can say conditions was perfect for all the pilots that landed after 3:00PM and we all had good landings.
Did bring two Cameras, filming my flight and will try to post a link later.
Knut
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

Yeah it was a sled in way light, cross conditions. Literally matched my flight from 12/14/14. Took off too early on that Sunday also, in similar cross conditions, but I had all day that day to fly. Today, as Hugh mentioned, was constrained by a timeline. Glad to hear everybody else had nice flights though. Bacil
Danny Brotto

Post by Danny Brotto »

andybalkphysics,

The guy in Front Royal acquired the glider from Karl this past summer. You can see the add here:

http://wingsandwheels.com/classifieds/?m=glider

Click "Recently Sold", then go to the bottom of Page 6.

Lost of flights out of central PA to points very south (as far as Tennessee) utilize the Massanutten. That ridge is known as the "40 mile drag strip"... and it is :) .

Danny Brotto
andybalkphysics

Thanks Danny! I guess it must have been him that time then, neat. Also, I think Knut is right about it being a young bald eagle...It had feathers on its head, which would rule out vulture.

FYI the hike to launch takes 40 minutes if done briskly.
krryerson

Post by krryerson »

Just posted a video from Tuesday, Dec, 15.
If interested, check link @ : https://youtu.be/xCUbYbmWVps
Merry Christmas!
Knut
Dunegoon

Post by Dunegoon »

Wow thanks for sharing video! Thought you were going to lose your camera....
John Dullahan

Post by John Dullahan »

Knut,
Kudos on the masterfully executed and edited video of your December 15 Woodstock flight. I enjoyed the soundtrack, capture of the sailplane far below, the Shenandoah Valley and River in its winter display, and your in-flight gopro mount repair. Thanks for the morale booster on this cold winter's day. John D.
John Dullahan