Woodstock 11/22

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

silverwings

Woodstock 11/22

Post by silverwings »

The forecast looks reasonably good. I am hoping to fly there. Any others?
john middleton (202)409-2574 c
Rich E

Re: Woodstock 11/22

Post by Rich E »

Definitely thinking about it...
Ward Odenwald

Post by Ward Odenwald »

Forecasts are looking good for ridge soaring down to Harrisonburg and just maybe, all the way back.

Arriving early,

Ward
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

Gary Smith, Jon Brantley, Walt Melo, Randy Weber, and I are flying at Woodstock Sunday also. Bacil
Blaine

Post by Blaine »

John. If I can make it down after work, are you willing to be my observer.
H3
443-742-3383
gkinsey

Post by gkinsey »

I may give it a shot as well.
Geoffrey, USHPA 87840 (P-3)
picasaweb.google.com/geoffreykinsey
Joe Schad

Post by Joe Schad »

I plan to go as well need to be home 4:30 so will be there before noon.

Joe
krryerson

Post by krryerson »

I'll be there tomorrow, Sunday.
Knut
wmelo

Post by wmelo »

I am to be there by noon. My son Vico will be there as well helping on the drive and taking pictures (http://www.penguinventure.com/)
Walt Melo
walt.melo [at] gmail [dot] com
+1.804.walt.743
jyoder111

Post by jyoder111 »

Thinking about it. Looks like a bit of gust factor in the 20s (mph) on Noaa.gov. Will decide in the am.

Jesse
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

The Woodstock Gradient Effect should be present tomorrow. Just go, if not just for the gathering. Bacil
silverwings

Post by silverwings »

Going to give it a try arriving around noon. Dress warmly.
Ward Odenwald

Post by Ward Odenwald »

Morning forecasts suggest that today’s conditions are not going to be within my comfort level. Winds aloft above 2K @ 20+mph and surface gusts in the mid to high teens for most of the day are my major concerns. Minor issues are lower predicted thermal tops from last night’s forecast and a north cross south of take off. Also looks as if wind speeds will not back off in the afternoon. I hope the experts are wrong but I’m sitting this one out.

Ward
silverwings

Post by silverwings »

I am going to pass on today because of temps being below my threshold!
wmelo

Post by wmelo »

Good day at Woodstock. The conditions were very similar to Friday, but a little bit colder.

Vico (my son) and I arrived by noon. Bacil and Joe were already on the air (both of them landed in Strasbourg hours later). Most of us flew for more than 1 h and landed at the Bridge field including a nice Icaro RX2 and Northwind Freedom.
There was plenty of lift all over the ridge, and a many pilots make to cloud base

It was my 2nd flight from the mountains with a Sport 2: I enjoyed my flight, although I still did not made to cloud base :( I will keep trying.

Hopefully, I will be able to share a few pictures this week.
Walt Melo
+1.804.walt.743
krryerson

Post by krryerson »

Great day at Woodstock. Never got cold and flew for one and a half hour. Though, have to say I was prepared like a Norseman for the weather and got too warm during part of the flight. Great launch conditions and launched at 1:41PM. Got up to 3322 ft above landing, in great conditions, with ridge lift and nice thermals, up and down the long ridge. Landed in the bridge field.
But, it would have been difficult to land in the bridge field on wheels today, due to a low carpet of corn stems, nodes and internode debris.
After the flight we all went to Strasburg Hotel, for dinner and beer.
Conclusion; In my opinion, it was a day for novice (Falcon) to advanced topless gliders.
I only saw great launches and good landings and what more can you ask for.
Paul and John from North Carolina was there and John, Gary, Bacil, Walt and Joe.
Bacil flew to the airport and more to come later.
Knut
Last edited by krryerson on Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

Fun flight to the airport 8) . Arrived just after 9A to a nice sky and light to moderate conditions on launch. From the cloud shadows I could see the winds aloft were moderate as well. Set up and waited. The temps on launch were in the mid 40's and not uncomfortable. Joe Schad showed up around 10:45A and I launched shortly thereafter in a light cycle. Lotsa lift around with a north cross in the lift lines. Worked my way up to Signal Knob patiently, never getting low, but not getting real high either (stayed relatively warm :D ). At the radio tower the sky above started to develop and I finally committed to nailing a nice thermal and climbed to 4400' MSL, drifting downwind towards Buzzard Rock, with the Front Royal Airport the goal. Left the lift at Buzzard rock since CB was 4900' MSL. Hit some major sink but sped up and spent as little time as I could in it, staring at the airport to make sure I was within range. Once free of the sink, relaxed and had the airport easily made. Had the radio tuned to the UNICOM frequency of the airport, heard some chatter, and saw a plane departing to the west of runway 28. As I flew around the north side of the 10/28 runway, I could see it was way cross from the north from Old Glory in the parking lot and the runway windsock 1/3 of the way down runway 28. With no chatter on the UNICOM and a visual check of the approach line, I flew across the runway to line up with the aviation windsock. Pretty turbulent final and got it stabilized but got hit by a headwind and some lift over the grass between the runway and taxiway. Glided unfortunately over the asphalt taxiway and couldn't tell my height above the asphalt. Flared a little high and weak, resulting in the glider getting ahead of me. I tried to run but I tripped and bellied gently onto the asphalt. Minor scuffs resulted on the knees and the harness but no damage elsewhere. The airport manager Reggie Cassagnol drove out to greet me warmly, offering me hot coffee and food inside the airport building. I hung around watching the sailplane club operations, which consisted of lots of checkrides. Got a ride back to launch from my next door neighbors, who were spending the weekend at the Massanutten Resort. Back at launch they got to witness Jon Brantley take off and climb high into the late evening sky. Retrieved the glider from the airport and headed over to the Strasburg Hotel Bar to join up with Walt & his son, Knut, Homer, Joe, Gary, and Jon. Heard that my Big Walker buddy Paul Sydor drove 5 hours from Raleigh NC just to fly at Woodstock today, and he told me he had to land because he was frozen from flying at CB. Good food and beer from the bar capped a nice flying day. Bacil
wmelo

Post by wmelo »

A few pictures taken yesterday are available here:

http://picsurge.com/g/diQlaO
Walt Melo
+1.804.walt.743