First HR flight!

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Scott

First HR flight!

Post by Scott »

Yes, it's true---I finally made it back to the mountains! :) Got my first HR flight this afternoon, thanks to Sparky who observed and Eddie Miller who helped wire me off. When we met at launch around 2pm it was soarable, often blowing straight in (or crossing from the north) around 5-7. Winds calmed down an hour later, by the time we'd run shuttle and set up.

Sparky and I stopped by Emma Jane's, where I met her, Harry and Randy (hopefully I got those names right). We chatted, and I filled out the paperwork and left the fee plus some.

This was the first mountain flight in my Eagle. Launch was fine---got off in a lull, no problems. Not enough wind for ridge lift, so I flew over the rock pile, circled once in weak lift...then flew over the railroad tracks where there was a bit more lift, circled several more times, almost made it back up to launch, then headed out to the LZ.

Arrived at the LZ around 500', flew over the streamers---direction looked good, more-or-less right down the field. Flew back to the downwind side beyond (and well above) the slot...circled down...and pulled in for good speed on final, right up the centerline of the field. Rounded out perfectly, toes just skimming the tallest grass...bled off energy...and flared to a no-stepper just 10 feet short of the cone. WOOHOO!

I radioed Sparky at launch to let him know I was fine, then parked my glider by the trees and relaxed in the pavilion, replaying the flight in my mind. It was encouraging to see that all my recent landing practice has paid off---I don't think I could have landed any better!

Yes, I know it was a mellow HR day, and gets a lot rowdier. But it was a perfect first flight for me, and I look forward to many more! :)

Scott
hang_pilot

Post by hang_pilot »

Big congrats on your first High Rock flight, Scott! I know I've said this before...High Rock is a special place and by flying there you own a piece of the magic.

Fly high!
~Daniel
markc

Post by markc »

I'll second the congrats Scott, great to hear of your first
flight from the Rock, way to go! Hope we'll see more of
both you and Holly up there.

I still remember my own first launch there: calm conditions,
running it off from the back of the block... Pretty darn
cool to dive off a cliff!

--mark c.
Spark