Pulpit Fri, 9/11?

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

rasmussenv

Pulpit Fri, 9/11?

Post by rasmussenv »

I realize the fly-in may get moved since Sat and Sun aren't looking so good, but I am wondering if - fly-in or no fly-in - anyone is thinking tomorrow (Friday) looks promising / plan to be there. Esp would like to hear prognostication from Bacil!

It looks a little on the light side, but Pulpit blows a bit more than projected, yes? Direction within reasonable? And should be a pretty day. Won't go unless others are headed out, but would like to know if that is the case.

Valerie
Valerie
XCanytime

Re: Pulpit Fri, 9/10?

Post by XCanytime »

I disagree. Yes Saturday is out for flying, but Sunday, at least according to weather.com for Hagerstown, looks flyable, with NW @ 11 MPH. In the past we have still had the cookout on Saturday at the Pulpit, despite the weather, and flown on Sunday. Chasing the wind is inefficient; at least one of the 2 days is flyable, so it's not a total shutout. The fcst for Saturday is for widely scattered t-storms, so I vote for socializing on Saturday, and flying on Sunday. Bacil
rasmussenv

Re: Pulpit Fri, 9/10?

Post by rasmussenv »

Thanks Bacil - useful info for the weekend / fly-in, but I was actually asking for your opinion on tomorrow - Friday. Can you toss out any thoughts on that?
Valerie
dbodner

Re: Pulpit Fri, 9/11?

Post by dbodner »

I don't study these things as much as some, but my view is that it'll be launchable with little in the way of ridge lift. Thermal activity could be significant.
David Bodner
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

Heading to Pulpit with bags and pipes. ETA 1130. - Hugh
krryerson

Post by krryerson »

To bad, can't make it this time. Just came back from a two weeks trip to Norway and will have to stay home this weekend.
This is how bad the weather was in Norway. Enjoy the weather here... .
Knut
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

Tom and Austan launched (PG) at noon and disappeared on a joint 30 mile flight with lots of low saves to Charlestown. I had a half-hour Falcon flight with a couple nice thermal climbs (wind was 6-10 north cross - not much ridge lift). Valerie had a sled to the secondary; I lawn darted on PG to Lemaster.