Highland Sun06Sept?

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

markc

Highland Sun06Sept?

Post by markc »

Looks like another flight-park type of day on Sunday! Who's in???

Aiming to arrive noonish tomorrow, then camp that night, and hoping for an early flight on Monday as well. Then hit the road ahead of the returning holiday traffic.

MarkC
Dunegoon

Re: Highland Sun06Sept?

Post by Dunegoon »

See you there! Yvonne has volunteered to come along also. We will camp Sunday night
if enough people are going to stick around. I may have to bribe her with a dinner at the F-Warf on Kent Narrows.

Charley
Last edited by Dunegoon on Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rich E

Post by Rich E »

Me too!
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

I'm ba-ack - and I'm in. Arrive 2 pm-ish. - Hugh
markc

Post by markc »

Pretty darn decent day at Highland!

I arrived last, and was at the back of the launch queue at 3-ish. Apparently didn't miss much prior, as pilots were just starting to stick... Would have been happy with a sled, but with help from JimR, and with some persistence at 2k (super light lift, unless you happened to be in a bullet), it turned into a bonafide soaring flight! Rich E, Jason, Blaine, Joe Gregor, Hugh M, Charlie, Bob B, and more were in the air, good turnout!

More flying tomorrow with any luck!

MarkC
Dunegoon

Post by Dunegoon »

On our way to Highland yesterday we saw a "red vehicle" with a glider on it headed north on 83 around Cockeysville MD. Hmm...someone on a secret mission for contraband. Show up at the Pulpit fly-in to see what I am talking about.

Nice flying yesterday in spotty lift. I only flew for about 45 minutes, but it looked like it got a little better as the later wave of pilots launched. Bob ruled the sky in his Exxtacy and flew around all afternoon. Busier than expected. Tim B. joined us for a nice dinner at the Fisherman's Inn. Light traffic on the way home home was a welcome treat. Won't be that way on Monday!

CF
markc

Post by markc »

"Not like that on Monday", you got that one right Charlie!

I was first of the solos off today, maybe 11:30 or so. Good flow of tandems, and the word came down that it was soarable, quite early.... But I was watching an upwind street, hoping that it would slide-on-in over the airport. Eventually lost patience and gave it a go, and had a rowdy-ish tow through lots of bullets. JimR was his usual par-excellance self, dropping me off in lift and then diving back down for the next pilot.

Off tow, things were tougher than they seemed on the way up, and it was blowing pretty good out of the SW. I flew for 3 or 4 thermals, pretty turb at times, but also fun : carving in, 600 down on one side, 600 up on the other, 1/2 or better VG and *cranking* it. Tiny cores.

I lost it after an hour or so, with sustained 800+ down all the way to the LZ. Good landing, happiness! Less happiness when I checked the traffic : 3:20 to Rockville?I don't think so!

Didn't fly again, but Travis and Brad and Bob all did really well, multiple hours. Then we all hung for a while, checking traffic maps, drinking beers. Eventually Blaine and I gave up, headed to Denton for awesome tuna paninis, and then back to Highland. And that's where I am now, at least until 4am or so, when I've got to hit the road :lol:
darbbb

Post by darbbb »

Great to see Mark, Bob, and everyone else yesterday. Fun day of flying with good flights, though Sunny had warned us about "punch in the face" bullet thermals on tow. He was right...that's the first time I ever had my side wires twanged while on tow :shock: !

I packed up and jumped into the bay bridge fray around 5:00. It wasn't too terrible and only added a half hour to my usual trip. Somehow traffic isn't as bad when you're expecting it.

Brad