Status of Jacks Mt.

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Paul D

Status of Jacks Mt.

Post by Paul D »

Jack's Mt. looks like a maybe tomorrow. What is the status of the site?
Paul D

Re: Status of Jacks Mt.

Post by Paul D »

The title was intended to be a question. What is the LZ (or for that matter, launch) situation at Jacks Mt.?
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

Don't believe it's worth going there. Last time I was there 2+ months ago the launch slot was overgrown at its bottom, leaving very little clearance/safety margin. I don't think anything has been done to remove the growth at the bottom of the slot. Bacil
Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Sigh....

Just when I'm trying to re-ignite my passion for flying, the sport is going extinct. Where are the locals who should be keeping the site cleared?

I was down at Henson Gap last week and they would be in terminal decline down there too were it not for a small group of PG pilots and instructor and a new PG-friendly launch.
Paul D

Post by Paul D »

OK - this update from Pete Lehmann. He is in Colorado and asked Dennis Pagen about Jacks, who simply said that the site is open - but most of the LZ is in corn. Of course, what you are saying about the launch condition may be true too - although launch slots can be cleared - its just a matter of felling some small trees, right?
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

That's right. But it is timber rattler season, and it would be a bit dangerous heading down into the mess where the rattlers like to sun themselves on a SE-facing slope :shock: . I raised this issue of the slot with the Hyner club back in June but have seen no chatter evidence on the email list that anything has been done. Bacil
Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Bacil,

I used to worry more about the broken glass sharp rusty metal and dead deer. At any rate, this is just another sign of the aging and terminal decline HG participation. It goes beyond just the young blood taking up PG instead. I suspect that PG is in decline in a lot of areas too. We are long overdue for a conversation on this. But that's for another thread.