Saturday Flyin' 8/29

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Matthew

Saturday Flyin' 8/29

Post by Matthew »

Ridgely or Daniel's???

Matthew
mingram

Re: Saturday Flyin' 8/29

Post by mingram »

I'm interested in flying Daniels. Any P2s also interested?
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
jamestraylor

Post by jamestraylor »

P2 here definitely ready to fly! Excited to try out my new vario.
jmcrocker

Post by jmcrocker »

I'm interested in flying Daniels as well.
mingram

Post by mingram »

Jamie, I'm looking for an alternative Observer for you. I have parents in town tonight/tomorrow morning so my appearance isn't guaranteed. Give me a text in the morning and I'll synch you up with someone.
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Still sitting on the fence re - Daniel's.

Winds look light. Dr. Jack's is not bad.

What's the PG crew doing?

Matthew
mingram

Post by mingram »

George and Dan are headed to Daniels.
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
Dan T

Post by Dan T »

I'm going to Daniel's should be there just before noon.

The PG community is learning that on these light wind days the thermal activity is out front. It's often over the roofs of the houses or even a bit further out front than that. The ones who are hitting the timing right are getting some pretty good thermal XCs by heading north to north east off the east end of the little ridge there. That route provides plenty of landing options. Attempts at ridge soaring probably won't keep you in the air today.

Last week there were HG launchable cycles and I think the conditions will be a bit stronger this week. Come on out!

Dan
rlweber

Post by rlweber »

The first part of the my flight on Saturday was spent bobbing around the ridge, watching the other gliders and rushing over to catch the thermal they found. I learned much. I circled more on Saturday than I have in awhile. After about 1 hour and 40 minutes I topped out at 4200 msl and committed to going over the back.
I had an interesting choice over the Kinderhook Valley, go west towards a cloud or go east (towards Bacil's xc goal of the vineyard), away from the mountains. I chose the cloud and did find some lift but then was trapped when it did not drift over the ridge. I dove over ridge and was left with the task of digging myself out of that valley. I did find some rising air in the Garth Run valley that nurtured a hope of a low save, but was not able to stay in it (besides that if I followed it I was being taken back into the mountain) and had to land. I landed at the farm Tom made famous in a video, by Garth Run road. The xc distance was approx 9 miles, a short but enjoyable distance. Total flight time 2:40.
Randy
Keep Calm And Soar On