Calvert Cliffs/ Gary's Beach

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

stevek

Calvert Cliffs/ Gary's Beach

Post by stevek »

Looks like it might be doable tomorrow. You around Gary?
garys

Re: Calvert Cliffs/ Gary's Beach

Post by garys »

It was great at Woodstock Wed. because I had to fly to Az that day. I flew over WS only I was looking down from 15,000 feet in a 737 very jealous of everyone flying lower. That was a first. Looks fantastic for tomorrow at Calvert Cliffs because I am here for the week. Enjoy it if you go. Check in at the office with Jennifer or Brandon. Be sure to check the tide schedule and don't forget the deep woods off for the chicks and tiggers. I mean ticks and chiggers.
Gary Smith
stevek

Post by stevek »

Aah. Knew there was a reason you weren't there.

So, who wants to fly Calvert Cliffs tomorrow? Limited openings for my wire crew but I will endeavor to accommodate everyone. No pushing or shoving please. If you haven't been to this site it is worth a day trip. Bring the wife kids girlfriend whoever. St. Leonard Md. PGable too btw.
markc

Post by markc »

Unfortunately, I think Gary's Beach is out for me until I obtain a glider that's better suited to the site... Hope that it works out for those who go!
dbodner

Post by dbodner »

I think the tides are favoring an afternoon launch. Winds look light for HG.
David Bodner
dbodner

Post by dbodner »

I take back what I said about windspeed. I'm now looking again. Steve, what time are you thinking?
David Bodner
stevek

Re: Calvert Cliffs/ Gary's

Post by stevek »

I think I will try to get there about 11:00. Shows it peaking at 2:00. I doubt it will make the forecast 17 but should be soarable all day.
Gary says there is family there that we can recruit as launch crew
dbodner

Post by dbodner »

I hope to get there by noon.
David Bodner
dbodner

Post by dbodner »

We didn't fly.

The winds for the most part were lighter than anticipated. And the beach was small. Walking along it a couple of hours before low tide, we found a couple of landable spots. But those were the spots the families had staked out, too.

Back up on top, the winds had increased to just-soarable. But, with landing options marginal, we both opted out.
David Bodner
stevek

Post by stevek »

Also, want Gary to take a look at the launch. There are a couple of locust trees that have gotten a lot bigger. Maybe it's ok but I think I will launch 2nd or 3rd not first.