Blue Sunsets & Hang Gliding on Mars

For non-flying fun with pilots, friends, and family.
Ski trips, Ethiopean-nights, movies, biking, climbing... All that fun stuff you can't do in the sky.

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

markc

Blue Sunsets & Hang Gliding on Mars

Post by markc »

So I seem to be posting on comets, and Hubble, and meteor showers, etc in this forum. Maybe we need a new one.... "Skies Above", something like that? :)

In any case, here are two things I find completely cool. The first is a video of a blue sunset on Mars, created from stills that were taken by the Opportunity rover. Can't believe I didn't run across it before, three years ago? Sheesh!

I really like sunsets. I SO wish I could see that in person. Here's a possible explanation from one of the comments at the YouTube site:
The sun and sky look blue on Mars because the red dust in the Martian atmosphere filters out red light. This is especially noticeable when viewing the sun near to the horizon because it is being viewed through the heaviest layer of dust near the surface. When the sun is straight above the Martian surface at noon, it is less blue. The exact opposite happens on Earth. Our atmosphere filters out blue light which is why we have red/orange sunsets and sunrises when we the sun appears closest to the horizon and blue skies when the sun is high in the sky.
The second topic (also Mars-related) is more recent, and involves the idea of using small flex-wing probes as part of a future mission:

Now I'm sorry, but 24 inches across? Really? We've got gliders twenty times bigger, JUST LIKE THOSE, out at Highland right now! They'd be perfect!

All we need to do is figure out how to fold one of the damn things up into a CubeSat. And if that happens, then heck, I'm going too! Sign me up!!!! :lol:

MarkC
Dan T

Re: Blue Sunsets & Hang Gliding on Mars

Post by Dan T »

I think NASA ought to award a contract to Wills Wing. Their Martian prototype doesn't seem to have anything on your T2C.

Dan

PS, I've been taking several online MOOC classes in Astrophysics and related subjects. In my opinion the best ones are out of the Australian National University and offered through edX. If you are interested get in touch with me and I'll provide you with details.