Edith's Gap 5/9

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

XCanytime

Edith's Gap 5/9

Post by XCanytime »

Luray fcst looks SE. Hopefully soarable. Should be a great PG day. Any HGers interested? Bacil
mingram

Re: Edith's Gap 5/9

Post by mingram »

PGs are also looking at flying Edith's on Friday as well.

I'm in for Saturday. I'm going skydiving in Warrenton at 9am and am planning on heading to Edith's after.
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
jyoder111

Post by jyoder111 »

I'm curious about flying HG at Edith's on Saturday.
thermalup
Location: Jim Gibson, currently located in NW Michigan but slowly moving to VA during the next couple of years

Post by thermalup »

Yesterday my wife and I hiked to Kennedy Peak from the Edith Gap trailhead. The launch area was lightly soarable when we arrived at 10:00 AM with decent thermal periods. By 11:00 cumulus were developing and the lift improving. We arrived at Kennedy Peak around noon and could see vultures, hawks and ospreys climbing 2-3K' along the entire ridge and out in the valley. The lift looked large and smooth. Over-development began around 2:00 pm.

The LZ is 'interesting'. I am wishing I had a drogue chute and experience using it.

Also, when we arrived at the launch area we noticed that someone had dumped what looked like large parts/frames of old televisions in the middle of the launch run area. After returning from the hike several hours later, someone had moved all of the junk to the right side of the slot.
..::J
markc

Post by markc »

We've really got to get some traffic bollards installed, to protect all our efforts to reopen Edith's. Too many yahoos looking for an easy place to dump their garbage up there....

If the 'cast is for strong SE, I might consider it on Saturday. Ie, strong enough to be sure of getting up and not having to land in the primary :-)

MarkC
smurfsky101

Post by smurfsky101 »

(first post on this forum, hello everybody!)

I would love to fly tmrw - I'd be coming from Arlington if anyone wants to carpool (i'm an H3 - been mostly flying on the west coast, was in WA last weekend )

https://vimeo.com/126661752 - video from there if anyone wants a diversion

my cell is 571 332 0095

-John Dorrance
johncdorrance@gmail.com
H4, P4, M1
jmcrocker

Post by jmcrocker »

Matt,

If I can make it tomorrow would you be willing to observe for me again? Hope to get a better flight than I did at Woodstock last week.

Jim C
mingram

Post by mingram »

For sure. It's easier to get multiple flights at Ediths so good chance of longer flights tomorrow hopefully.
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
markc

Post by markc »

Greetings John! Welcome to the area and to the forums, I hope you'll see some airtime at one of the local sites very soon.

The 'casts I'm seeing are for SE@5-7 at Edith's, which is a bit light for the HGers. That doesn't necessarily mean it's not doable... Just that you have to be prepared to land in the primary. Depending on your glider and equipment (Jim G mentioned a drogue chute; I've really got to look into getting one of those, just to expand the options!), it might be ok. I landed a U2 downwind/uphill there last year (on the wheels). Don't think I'd be willing to risk it on a topless though.

You should definitely walk the LZ prior to flying if you go.

MarkC
markc

Post by markc »

BTW: Awesome vid John!
smurfsky101

Post by smurfsky101 »

Thanks Mark!

I've got a falcon 3 170, will leave the u2 145 @ home for this flight, I dont like being too stressed coming in to land. Will definitely check out the LZ before hand
H4, P4, M1