Highland May 9,10 ??

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

thermalup
Location: Jim Gibson, currently located in NW Michigan but slowly moving to VA during the next couple of years

Highland May 9,10 ??

Post by thermalup »

Just checking to see if anyone is thinking about heading to Highland Aerosports this Saturday and/or Sunday. There is a low pressure system currently parked off of South Carolina that could be of some concern for Sunday.
..::J
Samlak2

Re: Highland May 9,10 ??

Post by Samlak2 »

Bertrand, Sami and Hugo will be at Highland this weekend - Saturday, Sunday AND Monday. There's bound to be a good day in there.
thermalup
Location: Jim Gibson, currently located in NW Michigan but slowly moving to VA during the next couple of years

Post by thermalup »

I spoke with Sunny earlier this afternoon and he said they are only tugging on weekends right now (normal schedule resumes after next weekend I believe).
BDelacroix

Post by BDelacroix »

Sami & Bertrand will grill burgers on Saturday after flying, feel free to chip in and/or bring stuff to throw on the grill! Dinner at sunset, fire after dark!
krryerson

Post by krryerson »

I will be going to Highland on Saturday. Knut :mrgreen:
jimsmess

Post by jimsmess »

Planning on making a weekend of it, hoping to arrive friday afternoon and stay through sunday.
See you there Jim M
silverwings

Post by silverwings »

Will be going on Saturday.
john middleton (202)409-2574 c
Rich E

Post by Rich E »

Also going Saturday.
Dunegoon

Post by Dunegoon »

Will be going Saturday morning.

Charley
markc

Post by markc »

Hoping for first-tows of the season, heading to HA on Saturday if the forecasts don't tank.
bowen.tim

Post by bowen.tim »

Traffic may be heavy on the Bay Bridge Saturday morning. It is Springfest in OC this weekend. Glider is on the car tonight.
Tim Bowen
Finksburg, MD
four-four-three 821 five-0-one-5
MHGA Treasurer
Samlak2

Post by Samlak2 »

Looking like a good crowd coming out today. In our rush out of the city Bertrand forgot his 6030, so if anyone has an extra Vario he can borrow for the weekend that would be greatly appreciated! We'll feed you in return ;)
thermalup

Post by thermalup »

Challenging and fun day yesterday at Highland. Thx to Mark C. for leading the way to a very nice early thermal up to cloudbase. Much gratitude to Bertrand and Sami for introducing Marzena and me to the outstanding Bertrand Burgers (portobello veggie version!). Great to meet Sunny and Adam and the 'local' flying gang. Truly enjoyable hanging out with all of you.
krryerson

Post by krryerson »

Think it was an epic day at Highland on Saturday! And Yes, thanks Bertrand and Sami for the "Outstanding Bertrand Burgers" on Saturday. You guys are great. As always, Sunny and Adam made this day great for all of us. Also good to see John D flying again. Great talking to you all.
Conclusion: Warm nice weather, light wind and perfect for first aero tow this year. Good thermals after 3-4PM and many pilot's.
In the end, was one of the lucky one's that got up to the cloud street, jumping from cloud to cloud for a long good flight. Needed that!
At last, enjoy this little video from Saturday at @ https://youtu.be/CoUTIIfMlqo :D
Knut
Dunegoon

Post by Dunegoon »

More fun flying at Highland. Not bad for a day that started out very overcast. Five tows, pattern and landing practice and some soaring. Got to thermal with Rich, Tim, Bertrand, John, Jim, Mark and a few others for about 2 hours total flight time. Found a nice lift line and zoomed under the clouds about as far away from the airport as I dared on a spotty day. Knut was really excited about surfing up the windward side of the clouds and got some interesting video. Just a great day of flying with some very talented and entertaining pilots.

Tim and I left about 5:30 PM and got stuck in horrendous traffic before the Bay Bridge. Did not get over it until after 9:00PM. :shock:

Charley
markc

Post by markc »

Yeah, Saturday was a great day, perfect for knocking off a bunch of tows and getting back into the towing groove. Two patterns and three full for me, with a couple of low extendos at 7-800 AGL and then an early soaring flight when base was still pretty low, maybe 3800? Pinned-off at 1800' with the vario absolutely screaming at me. And for once I didn't regret the decision :wink:

Missed out on the more epic part of the day, in spite of two valiant efforts by Adam to find lift (he went way above and beyond the call, thank you Adam!).

Awesome post-flying fun, with the dinner that's been mentioned, a fantastic sunset, a red-sparkly cedar bonfire, some frisbee, and much revelry! I crashed on site after hearing of the bridge debacle, so it was pretty much a perfect damn day for me. Sorry for those who were stuck in that mess :(

MarkC
krryerson

Post by krryerson »

Q: "Tim and I left about 5:30 PM and got stuck in horrendous traffic before the Bay Bridge. Did not get over it until after 9:00PM"

Knew about the "horrendous traffic" thanks to John M. calling us, letting us know. Thank you John M.
Waited till 8:00PM, but still got horrendous traffic and was not home before 11:00PM, twice the time...; though, much better than you guys.

Anyway, used my new mountain bike goggles with my Kali helmet. Talked to some mountain bikers at a store in Manassas and they recommended the 100%. Got the NEON SIGN with nose guard. Looks tacky, but worked fantastic during towing and racing. Feel free to test it next time you see me... Or Walt, you can always borrow it, for the next carneval in Rio :D

http://www.ride100percent.com/mountainbike/goggles/

Knut