3rd Annual Silent Airshow @ North Mountain Vineyards

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

XCanytime

3rd Annual Silent Airshow @ North Mountain Vineyards

Post by XCanytime »

Just visited recently with Brad and Krista Foster at North Mountain Vineyards. They would like to hold the 3rd annual Silent Airshow on Saturday 4/25/15. Mark your calendars. Last year's event was good, w/ Matt Ingram and Peter Van Oevelen making it XC from Edith's Gap to land at the winery. If the weather cooperates, lets try to have more (qualified for the XC) pilots land out at the winery this year, and have plenty of static and dynamic displays of both hang gliding and paragliding on the winery grounds. Bacil
mingram

Re: 3rd Annual Silent Airshow @ North Mountain Vineyards

Post by mingram »

I hope the weather cooperates! This was one of the best flights of 2014. The crew at North Mountain are the best!
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

Anybody got GPS coordinates for North Mountain? I should probably walk the LZ anyway; could drop a pin then... - Hugh
andybalkphysics

Post by andybalkphysics »

Hugh,

Here's a google map. The center area in that map is grass a couple of inches high, which Brad said was OK to land in. Its sloped uphill if you're landing NW. I think walking it would be a good idea (especially for HG) because there are grape trellises in the field to the southeast, which is also higher.

https://goo.gl/maps/DdVlW

-Andy
kcarra

Post by kcarra »

I think the date has changed to May 2 because of a scheduling conflict
Karen Carra
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

It has been confirmed that the date has been changed to May 2nd. Bacil
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

I'm out onaccounta: Derby Day. This is a quasi-religious event for Louisvillians. - Hugh
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

The extended forecast for Saturday looks pretty good: 10+ degrees warmer than this past weekend and good wind direction and speed. I see a distinct possibility of both HGers and PGers going XC and landing at the winery :wink: . Looking forward to a large turnout and good flying conditions. Bacil
markc

Post by markc »

Thanks for keeping this on everyone's radar Bacil, and for maintaining the relationship with Brad and Krista!

I grabbed a waypoint from the parking lot at NMV yesterday:

N: 38 deg 56.948 sec
W: 78 deg 28.670 sec

Though the forecast is a bit light for the hangies, I'll definitely give it a go if the NW@10-ish holds.

Multiple vehicles in the LZ will help on a day like that, to give pilots a chance at a 're-light' if necessary. So let's keep that in mind as the weekend approaches....

MarkC
Dan T

Post by Dan T »

It looks promising for both wings this weekend. The fairly light winds give us PGers a better chance of pushing out across the valley and reaching North Mountain Vineyards. I'm certainly going to try it and I think we will have a pretty good PG contingent doing the same.

Bacil, I want to thank you for originally setting this up and then continuing each year. It's become a very special weekend for the members of our chapter.

Dan
Dunegoon

Post by Dunegoon »

My wife and I are going. Should be a fun weekend, flying or not.

See y'all there

CF
eggzkitz

Post by eggzkitz »

Anyone know of any good camping options near the vineyard?

I may bring my kids out, and take them camping afterward.

Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff Eggers
CHGPA President
USHPA 82627
FCC KK4QMQ
Dan T

Post by Dan T »

Shenandoah Guest State Park is on the east side of Fort Valley. It's a very modern developed campground, with hot showers, electric hook ups, etc. It runs along the other fork of the Shenandoah. Lots of easy hiking trails but there aren't many places to reach the river there unfortunately.

It's not real close to Woodstock/North Mountain Vineyards but it might be close enough.
markc

Post by markc »

Though the forecast is light (at least for the HGers), I'm definitely going to give WS a try tomorrow!

Cross from the North, granted. But heck, it's spring! With a good thermal cycle and good timing, a soaring flight might be in the cards. And the ADDS 3k forecast is more NW than the sfc 'cast.

Worst case scenario: We adjourn to North Mountain Vineyard after valiant efforts.

Let's go fly!!!

MarkC

PS: I think we should drop vehicles in the primary rather than the bridge field, just in case. Call if you want to coordinate a shuttle 301 807 5414 I'll be out there pretty early tomorrow.
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

Amen! A beautiful day is forecast, so let's enjoy. And a soaring flight would be icing on the cake. No worries. Bacil
Dan T

Post by Dan T »

We had similar light wind north cross conditions about three weekends ago. Three of us PGers made it to Strasburg in active thermic conditions.

Watch the clouds, stay with the thermals and you could wind up with an epic flight and a glass of wine at the end of it. Who could ask for more?

I'm coming.

Dan T
eggzkitz

Post by eggzkitz »

I'm at the vineyard with my kids. Clouded over and no wind. Lovely day!
Jeff Eggers
CHGPA President
USHPA 82627
FCC KK4QMQ
theflyingdude

Post by theflyingdude »

Did anyone make it to the winery from Woodstock launch?

JR
markc

Post by markc »

Sadly, no. .most of the PGers soared late in the PM under gray skies.And I got into line after them, with sun FINALLY on the way. A PG tandem was soaring, figured I was golden. But with sun and puffy clouds coming in.... The winds totally died. Sigh. Stuck it out until 6, packed up and swung by the vineyard at about 7:15. Bought a bottle that I'm enjoying right now at the Pulpit in fact! After another largely skunked day today, double-sigh.

MarkC
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

theflyingdude wrote:Did anyone make it to the winery from Woodstock launch?

JR
Krista actually made it to Rt. 11 near the pizzeria in Maurertown. It's 4.5 miles from the ridge opposite Maurertown to the winery and Krista made it 2/3 of the way - 3 miles to Rt. 11. By the way, my wife and I spent all afternoon at the winery today and the owners Brad and Krista are offering a free bottle of wine to any HGer or PGer who lands next to the winery from this day forward. :D

Bacil
theflyingdude

Post by theflyingdude »

markc wrote:Sadly, no. .most of the PGers soared late in the PM under gray skies.And I got into line after them, with sun FINALLY on the way. A PG tandem was soaring, figured I was golden. But with sun and puffy clouds coming in.... The winds totally died. Sigh. Stuck it out until 6, packed up and swung by the vineyard at about 7:15. Bought a bottle that I'm enjoying right now at the Pulpit in fact! After another largely skunked day today, double-sigh.

MarkC
How strange that 50 - 60 miles can make such a significant difference in conditions. We flew High Point on Saturday. It started out with some clouds and light winds, but by 2 PM it opened up and became absolutely epic with strong lift to 9000' and well-formed cumulus clouds everywhere. Pete Lehmann flew 98+ miles from Wesmar, a tow site southwest of Columbus, Ohio into West Virginia and reported similar conditions. Larry Ball also flew almost 80 miles and landed at his farm in Coolville, Ohio. We had air-to-air communications with them almost 200 miles away - freaking amazing!

JR