History of Hang Gliding in Virginia

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

jmcclave

History of Hang Gliding in Virginia

Post by jmcclave »

Is anyone aware of any written materials covering the history of hang gliding in Virginia? If you have any tidbits please pass them to me via email at

jmwucb@gmail.com

If it is easier, you can also call me at

Thank you!
Jim McClave
Dan T

Re: History of Hang Gliding in Virginia

Post by Dan T »

Jim,

This is a terrific initiative you are undertaking. Hopefully you will hear from several pilots who have kept records and maybe old issues of our award winning newsletters. But just to get the conversation started I'm going to suggest Emma Jane's logbooks. Emma Jane is the land owner of the LZ below the High Rock launch. She's been keeping a log of all the pilots flights for something like 30 years. It would be a lot of material but photo scanned copies of her log books along with a few pictures of the day would provide a resource rich start to any effort to record the history of our sport in the Mid Atlantic. I'm sure it could provide the raw materials for a terrific feature article in the USHPA magazine too.

Dan T
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

High Rock is in Maryland. For the history of hang gliding in Virginia, try to contact Vic Powell and Nelson Lewis. Bacil
darbbb

Post by darbbb »

You should also talk to Steve Wendt at Blue Sky. He's an encyclopedia.

Brad Barkley
jmcclave

Post by jmcclave »

I had a good conversation with Steve Wendt that took me back to the 1980s. I'm trying to ID people that go back earlier to when the currently used sites were opened up. Steve mentioned a person who has relocated to Colorado but he could not recall his name.

Steve also mentioned a site call Bear Den by Charlottlesville that was lost when microwave towers were placed close to launch. It sounded like a great site with 2,000 ft vertical that faced east/south east.

Thanks for any help.

Thanks,
Jim
jmcclave

Post by jmcclave »

Bacil,

Per you post - do you have contact information for
Vic Powell and Nelson Lewis

Thanks,
Jim
Dan T

Post by Dan T »

Jim,

The person in Colorado is Mike Chevalier. He was a very active HG pilot here locally before moving to Colorado. I flew with him at Villa Grove a year or so ago.

I sent him a PM at the address I have for him at this server. If I hear from him I connect the two of you.

Christie Huddle is another good candidate. She's a retired H5. Someone here should know how to reach her.

Dan
theflyingdude

Post by theflyingdude »

If you can find him, Doug Rice would be a good source of information. He did a video montage of VA flying sites back in the early 80's, including Raven's Roost, Flattop, Roanoke Mountain, and several others. Tommy Thompson is still an active pilot with the Skywhackers club and he flew a bunch of the VA sites in the early days.

JR
Danny Brotto

Post by Danny Brotto »

Rich Heigel (active on this site) goes back to the mid/late 70's and flew most of the VA sites. Les King is another one

http://edgeascension.com/index_files/Page3439.htm

Danny Brotto
Joe Faust

Post by Joe Faust »

Victor Powell was corresponding with Low & Slow ... back then. Some of his notes are in Low & Slow. As time unfolds, I post what is found.

I'm new here. Hi!
Having high aims to Safe-Splat in Virginia with busable hang glider.

Best of Lift to all here.

:idea: :arrow: Life HG rating certification: http://USHGRS.org
John Anderson

Post by John Anderson »

On Mike Chevalier in Colorado. I have not been in touch with him, but understood he was in the Salida CO area. If he does not get Dan's PM, you could probably get a current tel# or email from hangie: Jim Zeiset: (719) 539-3900 --John
theflyingdude

Post by theflyingdude »

Mike Chevalier (who lived in the DC area) came along quite awhile after hang gliding got started in Virginia and would likely have little information about its origins there. Same thing for Christy Huddle. I have their contact info if it's needed, but neither one goes back far enough to provide any details about the origins of hang gliding in Virginia. There were other MHGA/CHGA pilots who also moved to Colorado. One whose name comes to mind was BoB "The Albino Rhino" Lowe who moved there quite some time ago. I think he got hurt and quit flying.

JR
Richard Hays

Post by Richard Hays »

I might be able to help with some history. I started flying in Maryland in 1976 and knew allot of the Va. guys back then. Feel free to contact me......while you still can. lol.

Richard Hays
USHGA 22764
Richard Hays

Post by Richard Hays »

Rod Bynaker....Jim Gildea, and the the legendary Woody Jones.....all Va. pilots. But if you want to really get some history...contact our dear Emma Jane.........the Mother of hanggliding in the Mid Atlantic. SHE....is our history book because anybody who was anybody flew High Rock back in the day...and she has the memory and the records.

Richard Hays
MHGA
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

I can see it now: ouija board to get hangola! - Hugh