High Rock Saturday

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Matthew

High Rock Saturday

Post by Matthew »

As of now-- Tuesday evening-- forecast looks good for High Rock on Saturday.

If it is at all doable to fly High Rock on Saturday (or Sunday), we should all show up there to fly and visit with Emma Jane.

Maybe make it a Memorial Fly-In for Randy.

Matthew
djscheele

Re: High Rock Saturday

Post by djscheele »

I am with you Matthew I will be at high rock but not until 12:00 or 1:00 Hope to see a lot pilots up there.
Denis
djscheele

Post by djscheele »

I will also bring my tandem glider if any one wants to do a flight with me
Denis
darbbb

Post by darbbb »

I'm interested, but it will be my first time there, so I will need a little site briefing, a look at the LZ, etc. Thanks.

Brad
Danny Brotto

Post by Danny Brotto »

Looks on the strong side for a good part of the day. Is Smithsburg still open?

Been waiting all winter to fly my new glider... itching...

Danny Brotto
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Meteograms look strong. However, ADDS and Bay Forecast show only 10-15-- or less.

If we are lucky, the strong winds will blow through on Friday evening.

Pilots new to High Rock need to go down to visit Emma Jane prior to flying and sign her waiver. Last I heard, however, was that she was out of waivers. So If anyone has a copy of this waiver, please bring it out to High Rock.

PIlots also need a Cliff Launch or Assisted Windy Cliff Launch sign off. An Observer is needed if you do not have either of these sign-offs-- or if you are a Hang 2.

Matthew
darbbb

Post by darbbb »

I have my sign off and I am a H3, so I guess all I need is the waiver. Thanks.

Brad
silverwings

Post by silverwings »

Smithsburg is open. I drove up there on Wednesday to check it out. The LZ is not the smoothest with clumps of fairly low plants. The hill is nice though I did not go to the very top.
john middleton (202)409-2574 c
djscheele

Post by djscheele »

I am going to High Rock anyways to one, try to fly and second to see Emma Jane. Hope there will be some pilots showing up with me. I hope to get there about 12:00 - 1:00. I will be at launch first then if I don't fly I will pay my recepts to the one land owner who has helped keep the oldest flying site in our region open for about 40 years. Hope to see you guys there, some times flying just has to take a back seat, you know?
djscheele

Post by djscheele »

Well what a day at High Rock. I arrived at launch at about 12:30 winds were 15 to 20 NW! just a little to strong so I backed down. This was not very difficult because my gliders were on the truck. I proceeded to go to landing field were I stopped off and had a lovely talk with Emma Jane. I gave a nice plant and card that she love. As every body knows Emma Jane can talk with the best of them. I recommend as many pilots as we can keep a long and happy line of communication with Emma. If you get her started she will do just about all the talking, this is so important for her spirits. We talked all about old pilots young pilots and every body in between. I can say there were only about two or three names I did not remember, not to say I am old, no, just well experience. So please gang, if you can drop Emma a card or a call or even stop buy and sit for a few moments, and that for old and new pilots, she knows who you are so don't think I just started fling there she will not know me, your wrong that sweet lady remembers every one she has meet. So I lodge in 2.5 hrs of HANG TALKING, NOT BAD FOR A BLOWN OUT DAY

Denis