Sad News

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

mcgowantk

Sad News

Post by mcgowantk »

I just received some very sad news. Emma Jane's son Randy passed away on Sunday from a heart attack. As most of us know, Randy and Emma Jane were especially close and he took special care of Emma Jane since Harry died. I will pass along any news that I hear regarding services for Randy.

Tom McGowan
CraginS

Re: Sad News

Post by CraginS »

This is indeed sad news. In addition to information about services, could someone with Emma Jane's address please share it here.
My prayers for Emma Jane.

Cragin
markc

Post by markc »

I'm stunned. We saw him just last weekend. Chatted about the lousy winter, how nice it was that spring was finally here. He was out having fun on his ATV, looking just like always. This is terribly unexpected.

MarkC
Last edited by markc on Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
markc

Post by markc »

In light of the circumstances, I will post Emma-Jane's address from the member area:

Mrs. Emma-Jane Carbaugh
23924 Coffeepot Lane
Smithsburg, MD 21783

If anyone knows this to be incorrect, please post ASAP.
Richard Hays

Post by Richard Hays »

Kimmy sent me an email yesterday about Randy. I sent off what I knew ( basically nothing ) to some of you guys. I just got off the phone with Jim ( Kim's husband ) and here is what I know to date.

At this point there will just be a graveside service next Tuesday April 14th ( all tentative at this point ) around 11am at the gravesite in Smithsburg, Md. where Randy's father Harry and brother Steve are also buried.

Emma not doing well as you can imagine.

Show of support would be appreciated and I think very important. I will be in Rochester NY next week regrettably and will not be able to represent the MHGA.

Sincerely,

Richard Hays
Maryland Hang Gliding Association
Richard Hays

Post by Richard Hays »

Update: Next Tuesday April 14th at Davis Funeral Home in Smithsburg at 11am. From there....the graveside service shortly thereafter.

Richard Hays
MHGA
darbbb

Post by darbbb »

Is there group money to send flowers? If not, can we collect some?
Ward Odenwald

Post by Ward Odenwald »

Here's some addition information about Randy's family and next Tuesday's service.

http://www.heraldmailmedia.com/obituari ... 4c015.html
markc

Post by markc »

Will attend the services on Tuesday. Sigh.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Karen and I will be there.

If you can get even a half day off, please, please be there.

Matthew
CraginS

Post by CraginS »

I'll be there.

The news article says the service is graveside at 11, rather than at the funeral home and then to graveside. We'll need to sort that out.
dbodner

Post by dbodner »

I'm going, too.

It might be launchable Tuesday. Normally, that would be totally disrespectful, but in this case might she appreciate it?
David Bodner
markc

Post by markc »

Not sure about the appropriateness of flying, yes or no. But I like the idea of showing up with gliders on the vehicles. That's who we are, and that's what Emma Jane and Randy have been involved with forever.... Seems fitting somehow.

MarkC
Ward Odenwald

Post by Ward Odenwald »

"I like the idea of showing up with gliders on the vehicles", perfect! Emma Jane, her family and friends need to see the significance of their help and support over 4 decades to our HG community and seeing a crowd of gliders on cars is a great symbol. As Matthew already stated " please, please be there". If we fill Smithburg with our gliders its a perfect symbol of our support to the Carbaugh family and a reminder to the Smithburg community of their remarkable help to us.

Ward

PS: If we agree to do this, some degree of organization will help. Any suggestions?
Richard Hays

Post by Richard Hays »

UPDATE:

Emma and family would like the hangglider folks to maybe show up earlier at Davis Funeral Home......between 10: 00am and 10:30am Tuesday morning ( before the services graveside ) per message left on my answering machine by Kim.

Also; Emma really loves Lasagna. Maybe somebody could bring her up one? Leigh and I used to make one for her and she always talked about it. I know it sounds silly but might be nice for her not to have to cook, etc.

Believe it or not....Walmart sells a kick ass Lasagna ( Large one ) both Chicken and regular style. Ready to go....for about 14.00 Get some Texas toast style garlic bread and its a meal that will feed quite a few....or one for awhile ( can be refrozen, etc. etc. ).

Richard Hays
MHGA
dbodner

Post by dbodner »

I can be in for a lasagna. Does it make sense to rendezvous at the Waynesboro Walmart to figure out logistics?
David Bodner
bowen.tim

Post by bowen.tim »

Davis Funeral Home
12525 Bradbury Ave, Smithsburg, MD 21783
(301) 791-1230
https://maps.yahoo.com/place/?lat=39.65 ... d%20States
Tim Bowen
Finksburg, MD
four-four-three 821 five-0-one-5
MHGA Treasurer
Ward Odenwald

Post by Ward Odenwald »

Looks like rain tomorrow morning so I'm not sure that bringing our gliders is a good idea now. Richard's most recent post indicated that the funeral home wanted to meet with us before the ceremony. At that meeting, we can come up with a plan to help support Emma and her family tomorrow the best we can. If anyone has a better idea, let us know.

Ward
Ward Odenwald

Post by Ward Odenwald »

Also willing to meet at the Walmart but need directions.
dbodner

Post by dbodner »

Ward Odenwald wrote:...Richard's most recent post indicated that the funeral home wanted to meet with us before the ceremony. At that meeting, we can come up with a plan to help support Emma and her family tomorrow the best we can.

Ward
I like that better. No need to meet at Walmart first. I can always go there after the service.

I figure my Falcon can take a little morning rain.
David Bodner
CraginS

Post by CraginS »

Coming from DC area, going to Waynesboro and then backtracking to Smithsburg is quite a bit out of the way.
However, if you look for the Walmart in Frederick, you will see it is only a couple of miles up MD 85 from I-270, before you get to I-70.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Walma ... 1098df7fac

I won't have my glider, due to the rain forecast, but I will be in my HNGFLYR truck.
If I get to Smithsburg too early to go to the funeral parlor, I will stop at the DIxie Eatery at 4 N Main for coffee.
https://www.google.com/maps/search/rest ... a=!3m1!4b1

Craig
Ward Odenwald

Post by Ward Odenwald »

Coffee at the Dixie sounds good. See you around 9. Bringing my glider. The visual support is worth it. Ward
markc

Post by markc »

Moving service today.... Large family turnout, and obviously many very upset. Rain held off. I think 12 from the hang gliding community
were there, with 4 or 5 gliders on vehicles (was running too late this AM to pull that on off myself). Emma Jane will be in need of phone calls/visits/etc for support. We should consider flying there more than we have in the last couple of years.

MarkC
hang_pilot

Post by hang_pilot »

Thanks to everyone who attended the service and represented the free-flying community.

~Daniel
Richard Hays

Post by Richard Hays »

Thanks to all who could and did attend. Trust me....it means the world to Emma. My apologies for being out of town and not being able to contribute.

Rich Hays
MHGA