My Return to Flight... Baby Steps (long)

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Holly

Post by Holly »

Well... today marked my official return to hang gliding. My game plan since the accident was to get back into the sport by taking baby steps. As you may recall, I have a 2-week period of amnesia that extends from the day of my accident, just before I launched, until I was released from the hospital. I've wondered if flying would trigger any memories; specifically, any of the terror I surely experienced just before I augured into the ground. I decided the first logical step was to take a scooter tow lesson. The intent was for me to get my feet off the ground to see if that would trigger any memories or illicit a panic attack. My surgeons asked that I give my body 3 months to heal before trying hang gliding again and Labor Day weekend seemed like a good target weekend. I started the summer off with a really lousy experience the day before Memorial Day (the unofficial start of summer), so why not celebrate the unofficial end of summer (Labor Day) by proving to myself that I *can* still fly safely and enjoyably?

The weather was wonderful all weekend. The cooler temps and low humidity made camping out at Blue Sky Flight Park a joy. Scott and I got down here Friday night and camped out in the bunkhouse both Friday and Saturday night. It was so nice to be surrounded by cool air at night. The temps dipped low enough at night that we actually had to wrap ourselves in blankets for the first time in months.

This morning, we slept in... not waking up 'til 7AM. We had a light breakfast and then headed down to the glider storage shed. Steve Wendt had already pulled out the glider I'd be using; a Will Wing Falcon 195. He handed me a basetube and asked if I still remembered how to set a glider up. I smiled and set to work. Falcons are such a joy to set up; only a few battens, easy haul back, and no hassles with a VG line (something I invariably have to futz with when I set up my Moyes Litesport). After I finished setting up and pre-flighting it, I walked over to where Steve was giving a couple of new students their ground school. Once they were done, we picked up our gliders and walked over to the field.

As soon as Steve had the scooter tow ready to go, he looked at me and said, "Okay, Holly. Your turn!" He didn't waste any time. I've never been a big fan of going first, but this time I didn't hesitate. Sure... I had a mild case of the butterflies, but I knew I could do this safely. I hooked it (both the tow line and harness to the glider), picked my glider up, checked out the wind indicators, felt the breeze and how the glider was reacting, checked to make sure my wings were level, and then called to Steve, "CLEAR!" He started to roll on the throttle, I walked, jogged, ran and voila... I was airborne!

It felt so good, so natural, so right to be back in the air. I flew a little fast, but I maintained nice, level flight down the entire length of the runway, pulled in a touch, hit the release, and came down for a landing. I flare a touch late, but I landed on my feet! Yeah! I didn't forget how to launch, fly, and land safely!! Steve came down to retrieve the tow line and gave me a big hug congratulating me on my return to flight:)

For my second launch, I made a mental note to relax and not fly quite as fast. In fact, once I was aloft, I actually let go of the control frame to make sure I was at trim, and then I pulled in just a touch from there. This landing was better; again, on my feet.

The third flight, I proned out for a few seconds, did some minor roll corrections in light of the more varied wind conditions, and again had a great landing. When I got back to the launch area, everyone smiled and commented with great fondness that I demonstrated my trademark ballerina landing technique where I reach for the ground with one foot extended.

I did one more flight, but the winds had been getting stronger and a little more cross. I just waited for a light cycle, picked up, launched, and rode the textured air out. I released a little sooner than normal because my vector with the cross wind would have taken me into the soybean field if I had stayed on tow a bit longer. Steve gave me more words of praise and said he could see all the fun stuff I was flying through and that I handled it all great!

I had a mini support group; Megan Chapman, Mike Wimmer, and Tex Forrest were out there cheering me on and being all smiles after each of my flights. Of course... Scott was there too and showered me with congratulatory hugs and kisses. He also managed to snap a few photos to document my return to flight. I'll post a shot or two if they came out okay :)

Its good to know that I still have it in me. I am a pilot!

Holly
batmanh3

Post by batmanh3 »

Welcome back Holly. I know what you went thru and those "return flight" jitters. Its almost the feeling of "home" once you return to the air. I'm glad to see your return to ventures away from terra firma.

Chris
padamez

Post by padamez »

Congratulations Holly on getting back into a hang glider! It surely takes a bit of courage to get back on that horse that threw you. Now you have much more respect for the horse!!
Paul Adamez
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

Welcome back, Holly! - Hugh
P.S. I'm in the goof locker, too, having gone into the trees two
weeks ago. Steve's fixing my glider. See you at the parachute
repack at Manquin next weekend?

On 5 Sep 2005, at 16:29, Holly wrote:
Holly

Re: My Return to Flight... Baby Steps (long)

Post by Holly »

mcelrah wrote:Welcome back, Holly! - Hugh
P.S. See you at the parachute repack at Manquin next weekend?

On 5 Sep 2005, at 16:29, Holly wrote:
Alas, tomorrow I commence my whirlwind follow-up interview tour. DC to NY to Raleigh to Bentonville, to DC to NY to DC to Baltimore to home to Frederick, MD to home all between tomorrow and September 14th. Assuming I'm able to get some offers out of my second interviews, then the hard part starts... deciding which offer to take!

Holly
breezyk1d

news

Post by breezyk1d »

Holly;
What wonderful news: the flights, the interview whirl, the job offers which will surely flow. Sounds like life is good. Best, Linda
hepcat1989

Post by hepcat1989 »

Holly,I'm glad you are healed up, and FLYING AGAIN! Good for you! Hope to see you soon. Shawn.
rancerupp

Re: My Return to Flight... Baby Steps (long)

Post by rancerupp »

Holly wrote:I have a 2-week period of amnesia that extends from... just before I launched, until I was released
Hey, between launch and release usually isn't that exciting anyways. :) Welcome back.

Rance
Lauren Tjaden

Post by Lauren Tjaden »

I'm so happy for you, Holly, that you are back where you belong, in the air. The things we get to see, smell, and feel as hang glider pilots are extraordinary. Friday morning, I towed up 1500 feet above tiny cumulous clouds that dotted the sky. Bo scattered a gaggle of birds by flying through them, and dropped me in their midst.? As I worked on my bank angles and played with my VG,?a little hawk flew over to join me.?I admired her outstretched fingers and the flash of my own wing beside her. I tried to concentrate on learning, but eventually?I just had to yell "woohoo" and look around for a second and ask myself how the hell I ended up with such a great life. This is sickenly corny, but it is also entirely true.
I am glad you have found the courage to once again enjoy this most special form of flight.
Lauren
?

Click here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.