Daniels Sunday 3/29?

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

jmcrocker

Daniels Sunday 3/29?

Post by jmcrocker »

Are any PGs considering Daniels on Sunday afternoon or other locations during the day? I'm looking for an observer to fly with at a P2 sight.

Jim C.
MarkDW

Re: Daniels Sunday 3/29?

Post by MarkDW »

I'm also a P2 interested in flying Sunday if there are any observers flying Sunday.

Mark
eggzkitz

Post by eggzkitz »

Looks west mid-day as of now, shifting south later in the afternoon.
Jeff Eggers
CHGPA President
USHPA 82627
FCC KK4QMQ
Dan T

Post by Dan T »

I'm considering it but I'm not committing just yet. I'll check the weather in the morning.

Jim C and MarkDW, Daniels is one of our easier sites to fly but that doesn't make it easy. These spring conditions can come up and slap you around enough that you might wish you were on the ground. It's also a pretty good hike up to launch if you don't have a 4wd high clearance vehicle. If you have a 4wd or need a ride up it's helpful to let people know.

Dan T
jmcrocker

Post by jmcrocker »

Dan,

I don't have 4wd and would need ride or happy to hike. I have not flown Daniels yet so I will wait until I get the opportunity to be oriented on the site and fly with an observer per site protocol. Being relatively new to the area I have only had the opportunity to fly Edith a couple times last summer/fall, (I was out of the area most of the summer) though I have flown at Eagle Rock and Brace Mt as well as several west coast mountain sites.

Jim C
Dan T

Re: Daniels next time

Post by Dan T »

Jim,

I didn't fly today. To my knowledge the PG pilots who did all went to Dickey's Ridge on the Skyline Drive. This site requires a P3 rating and special use permit from the National Parks Service.

The Daniels LZ is significantly easier than Edith's Gap is. On most days the launch is a bit easier too. You should have no trouble with it provided that you get someone to point out the possible hazards that you may encounter there. How close are you to your P3?

There are several observers in the club who will be glad to provide you with a site assessment of the Daniel's site. Unfortunately the last time I looked for my name among the list of observers I was no longer on it.

Last year some of the members of this Chapter met to establish a list of site-awareness-advisors rather than observers in order to distinguish between the official USHPA role of observers as persons who review and approve ratings progressions, and the persons who simply want to assist new pilots in assessing conditions on any particular day. Unfortunately it seems to have lost traction along the way so I don't know exactly how this Chapter is supposed to assist people like you in assessing the suitability of our H2/P2 (with observer) sites on the particular day you are trying to fly it. Perhaps this post will restart the dialog and yield an official CHGPA position on it.
mingram

Dickeys Sunday 3/29

Post by mingram »

Dickeys was really sweet today. Jeff and his dad and new PG pilot Patrick from Germany. Light cycles on launch, but I beamed up immediately 3m/s to 5500 feet in big smooth lift and saw several airliners 1000 feet above me. I stayed high the whole flight and froze my hands off. Landed in Delaplane where Taryn picked me up and then we went to the Tin Cannon Brewery in Gainesville - excellent beer!

http://www.paraglidingforum.com/leonardo/flight/1123725
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
jmcrocker

Post by jmcrocker »

Dan,

I would like to get the flights I need for P3 by the end of this summer. Right know I'm 5 days, 30 flights and about 5 hours shy of requirements. I'm sure I will be able to connect with some of the observers and other pilots as the season starts to pick up. I'm happy to retrieve for other pilots since I'm not quite ready for XC yet. Still have more to learn and would like more flights under by wing before I start exploring that aspect of paragliding.

I'll keep watching the forum to see when and were folks are flying and try to hook up with them, hopefully to fly but if not, to learn more about the sites.

Matt,

Looks like you has a great XC flight. Thanks for sharing your track.

Cheers
Jim
Dan T

Post by Dan T »

Jim,

I'll introduce you to Daniel's and Woodstock. You'll need to call me on the morning that you want to fly. Call after 7:00 and before 8:30 AM. Early is best. I'll send you my phone number in a PM here. If you don't receive it by tomorrow afternoon, post here and I will reach you another way.

I fly most weekends when conditions are suitable and I can usually get away on weekdays too, so don't be shy about getting in touch with me.

Dan