New SNP Permit for 2015

For issues related to CHGPA's operations and responsibilities

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

mingram

New SNP Permit for 2015

Post by mingram »

The Shenandoah National Park Special Use Permit has been updated for 2015. I will ask Mark to update the website.

http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/u ... cation.pdf

The permit liaison, Chad Tinney, sent me pre-filled forms for 2014 permit holders and I emailed those out individually.

You need to:
1. Add/update your info on the application and sign it - especially your email address
2. Attach a copy of your USHPA card
3. Check for $50 to National Park Service

Please add/update your email address as some were missing. The email address is important because that's how your application will be returned to you. You will print your permit (or keep an electronic version on your phone if you don't want to waste paper) - it will not be mailed to you. Payment is still only possible via check or money order at the moment. The park is working on making it fully electronic.

You can also submit your application electronically if you'd like to save paper and email it to chad_tinney@nps.gov, but you still need to mail in a check.

Note: You do not need to attach landing permissions - even though the form states this. The park has our landing permission for both Dickey Ridge and Hogback for 2015. Also note that Hogback and Miller's Head are still currently Hang gliding only. We're actively working on getting permission for paragliding, but don't yet have it complete. We're also still working getting landing permission for Miller's Head.
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
thermalup
Location: Jim Gibson, currently located in NW Michigan but slowly moving to VA during the next couple of years

Re: New SNP Permit for 2015

Post by thermalup »

Thank you for the detailed information Matt. I plan on being prepared to fly in the park this spring and these instructions are very helpful. I'll also connect with some pilots in advance of flying to check out the landing areas. ...::Jim G.
Joe Schad

Post by Joe Schad »

Thanks for the update. Filling out my application today even though I will not be in the area until February.

Joe
Dan T

Re: New SNP Permit for 2015 - pilot rating requirements

Post by Dan T »

I believe that all of the SNP sites are rated Intermediate or above. If I'm wrong someone please correct me. I just wanted to let you all know so that nobody unknowingly signs up without an appropriate rating.

Dan T
thermalup
Location: Jim Gibson, currently located in NW Michigan but slowly moving to VA during the next couple of years

Post by thermalup »

Does anyone know the average time it takes for the SNP office to process an application for the permit?
I remember reading somewhere that it may take up to two months. Matt's posting here mentions an e-mail response by the SNP so I am wondering if the response time is shorter than it used to be with postal mail.
...::JG
mingram

Post by mingram »

I mailed my application with a check mid-February and received the application back 2 weeks later. Then I signed and returned it electronically and received the actual permit 1 week after. So 3 weeks total.
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
thermalup

Post by thermalup »

Hi Matt,
Thank you for the response time information. Sounds like a reasonably quick turn around. Perhaps permit applications from Michigan require a little extra processing time ;)
Our National Park flying site up here (Sleeping Bear Dunes ) has zero cost and is an annual calendar renewal that requires just an office visit to verify the USHPA rating and review the flying rules. The permit is given to the pilot right then and the time involved is about 5 minutes.
Curious that each National Park has its own procedure.
...::JG