SAVE THE DATE -- 2014 Pulpit Fly-In : Oct 3 - 5

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

jmcclave

Re: SAVE THE DATE -- 2014 Pulpit Fly-In : Oct 3 - 5

Post by jmcclave »

There is a nice 30 mile ride that starts at launch.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1436996
eggzkitz

WE'RE ON!! 2014 Fly-In : Oct 4 - 5

Post by eggzkitz »

So we're ON! Post-frontal weather is looking so-so for Sunday, and potentially flyable for HGs on Saturday. Winds currently look more favorable for WS on Saturday and for Dickies on Sunday.

We're discussing alternative camping sites for Saturday night, given that it sounds like some of the HG crowd plans to fly WS Saturday and the PGs are more likely to fly Dickies on Sunday (WSW winds forecast).

There are at least 4 PGs that I know of and about 2 HGs planning to camp/join. Let me know if there are others we're not tracking.

We'll make the campsite call about noon tomorrow, either somewhere closer to Front Royal/Woodstock or the original plan of Pulpit.

Here's the 3K winds aloft for Saturday afternoon:
saturday.gif
And for Sunday:
sunday.gif
Jeff Eggers
CHGPA President
USHPA 82627
FCC KK4QMQ
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

The Pulpit is fine to fly in WSW winds. I see that HGR is fcst to be WSW @ 10 MPH on Sunday. So it looks good that both HGers and PGers can share the air at the Pulpit Sunday. So why would you want to camp elsewhere when right at your doorstep is a site that doesn't require a permit? This is about flying together, not apart. I have a huge contingent of people that I have invited out to watch us fly together on Sunday at the Pulpit. Bacil
mingram

Post by mingram »

I asked around and didn't get any hang gliders that committed to the BBQ and camping for the Pulpit. The diehards aren't speaking up. The BOD is willing to go to the Pulput but it since hang gliders are flying Woodstock on Saturday and PGs have a better chance of flying in VA on Sunday we think VA would make it easier for the most people to attend.
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

At least, I believe, Jon Brantley, Matt Christiansen, Gary Smith, John Middleton?, and I are committed to going to the Pulpit Sat. evening/night after flying at Woodstock tomorrow. Then at least Jon, Matt, Gary, Charley Fager, and I (John Middleton?) are committed to flying at the Pulpit on Sunday, hoping that there will be paragliders sharing the air with us. Mark Gardner will probably be coming to the Pulpit on Sunday as well. So there is at least 6, maybe 7 HGers coming. Then I have invited down at least 3 pilots from the Hyner club for flying at the Pulpit on Sunday. So there is a potential of 6 to 10 hang glider pilots that will be at the Pulpit Sunday. Bacil
Last edited by XCanytime on Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mingram

Post by mingram »

Oh wow! I hadn't heard that. Sounds like a party! I'm down!
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
silverwings

Post by silverwings »

I hope to be flying at Woodstock this afternoon and will NOT come up to the Pulpit. On Sunday, I will be teaching at Taylor Farm.
john middleton (202)409-2574 c
eggzkitz

UPDATE: Fly-In Oct 4-5

Post by eggzkitz »

We're planning on a late afternoon (4/5 pm) rendezvous near Woodstock Bridge. PGs will either try for a late day flight or if blown out just help HGs with retrieves and cars. We'll then do a group dinner in Strasburg or Front Royal once HGs are all done flying and retrieved.

After dinner, there will be camping at Pulpit for HGs planning on flying there on Sunday, or a group of PGs will likely cabin overnight around Front Royal because PGs are likely looking at Dickies or Daniels on Sunday.

Let Matt or I know if you are in for dinner and if you'd like to join the PG cabin group.

We'll be monitoring 146.50 and I'm on (808) 779-5759. Matt is on (804) 399-5155.

See you tonight!
Jeff Eggers
CHGPA President
USHPA 82627
FCC KK4QMQ
bowen.tim

Post by bowen.tim »

I will be at the Pulpit Sunday morning. I will need an observer. I just got back from a week flying down at Henson's Gap, Whitwell, and Lookout, so I am current. I intend to meet Charlie in the LZ in the AM to walk it and leave a vehicle.
Tim Bowen
Finksburg, MD
four-four-three 821 five-0-one-5
MHGA Treasurer
krista

Post by krista »

Anyone looking to possibly fly Dickey's tomorrow must have their specific flying permit for the site and pearly whites ready for the rangers who will be there taking pictures of us for their brochures.
deveil

Post by deveil »

and the masseuses?
garyDevan
deveil

Post by deveil »

sorry
garyDevan
Johan

Post by Johan »

I was at Pulpit at 5 pm today. There was only one other person there. John from Vermont.
Plan to go again tomorrow to fly. Is there anyone else coming?

johan.ohlson@telai.com cell phone 2040-291-2396
silverwings

Post by silverwings »

Supposedly Bacil, Jon Brantley will be there in the morning to fly (as of today's talk with them).
john middleton (202)409-2574 c
Dunegoon

Post by Dunegoon »

Beautiful morning. Looking good for the Pulpit ETA 11am.

Charley

717-829-4943
eggzkitz

Post by eggzkitz »

PGs are gathering in Front Royal with hopes that Dickies may work. Ben, Jim, Matt, Thomas, Krista, and I so far. We're going to grab some brunch in Front Royal then head up.
Jeff Eggers
CHGPA President
USHPA 82627
FCC KK4QMQ
eggzkitz

Post by eggzkitz »

Thanks to everyone who came out.

Several HGs flew WS on Saturday in windy conditions, one went OTB to the Front Royal Airport and the rest stayed local, then 9 of us had dinner in Strasburg.

HGs flew Pulpit on Sunday and PGs went to Dickies. Can't speak to Pulpit, but Dickies was surprisingly decent for the 6 PGs that flew there, with Thomas leading the day with a 30km XC.
Jeff Eggers
CHGPA President
USHPA 82627
FCC KK4QMQ
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

The Pulpit was pretty good today. I got there at 9:30A after staying at the Comfort Inn at the Rt. 11 exit off of I-81 at Greencastle. Already cranking and soarable. Waited for pilots to arrive. Johan, Jon, Matt, Krzyzstof, Tim B., Dave B., and Charley showed up by 11A. In the meantime it was pretty much blown out by 11A so Jon, Matt, and Tim headed down to the LZs to scout them out. They were gone for a good while and it started settling down. By 1P it had backed down a bunch so I suited up and gave it a go from the pad in a light cycle. It was a down cycle so I was hosed from the start. Tried for a low save in the SW flow twice between Rt. 16 and the secondary to no avail. Set up for a south landing in the freshly plowed secondary and almost overshot the crest. Moonwalked it over the lip to a few yards downhill. Dave and Charley came down to retrieve me. We all watched Johan launch from the newer ramp and get up and fly for a while, getting to 1K'+ over in his first ever flight at the Pulpit. Krzyzstof launched after Johan and enjoyed a short soaring flight, landing in the primary. Back at launch Doug Rogers and Jim Carroll showed up from the Hyner club. Conditions had greatly mellowed out and was still SW cross. At 3:30P the conditions changed to moderate and STFI at launch and stayed that way, prompting Charley and Jim to launch from the newer ramp at 5P. They flew around for a while, with Charley landing at the golf course driving range and Jim flying longer and experiencing magic conditions in the last part of his flight. Jim ended up landing in the main LZ. I retrieved Charley from the golf course and hit the road. Bacil
Dunegoon

Post by Dunegoon »

I got in a lot of Zagi flying testing conditions. The concern was a SW cross after launch which would make it difficult to reach the primary. There were good launch cycles most of the day, but not not necessarily soarable conditions. Seemed like solid and easy soaring by 4pm but Doug and Jim wanted to see proof. I launched from the new ramp into a nice cycle and got up. Jim launched shortly after and we shared the ridge and a few light thermals. I had to cut my flight short (dinner plans with my son in Shippensburg) just as conditions started to go magic. Not a bad day in the mountains. Thanks for the retrieve Bacil and the continued mentoring. I learn something new every time.

CF
bowen.tim

Post by bowen.tim »

Much thanks to Jon Brantley for showing and walking the primary and secondary LZs. On another note, we talked to the farmer at the secondary LZ and he has just planted the field. He says we may have another 3-4 weeks of access to that LZ.
Tim Bowen
Finksburg, MD
four-four-three 821 five-0-one-5
MHGA Treasurer