Sacramento Sunday Sept. 7th

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

XCanytime

Sacramento Sunday Sept. 7th

Post by XCanytime »

Extended forecast looks like a good north day is shaping up for Sunday. I'm in for the SAC if it comes to fruition. Any others interested? Bacil
Lostgriz

Re: Sacramento Sunday Sept. 7th

Post by Lostgriz »

Definitely interested.

Matt
Brit_in_SoMD

Post by Brit_in_SoMD »

Where's that?
Am guessing not in California, which is the only Sacramento i've heard of!
wuffos

Post by wuffos »

To: Brit_in_SoMD

Google: "Sacramento, PA" and "Rough and Ready, PA" to find the towns closest to launch on this ~30 mile ridge. Note: this is pretty much a Hang-Glider only site.

Bill U., Phila., PA
Brit_in_SoMD

Post by Brit_in_SoMD »

Thanks.
Looks like there are several long ridges out there - looks like it should be pretty good with the right wind.
But they're all a pretty long way from SoMD - about 4 hours by the look of it.
So unless the forecast is really solid, a bit of a stretch for me on a regular weekend, especially as Ridgely is only just over 2 hours...
Dan T

Post by Dan T »

Bacil has been flying this site for as long as I have known him which is nearly two decades. He keeps meticulous year over year records and is rarely wrong on his flying forecasts when he makes them the night before the flying date.

It's a long drive for you but if your sole concern is will it be flyable there's at least a 90% chance that his Friday update will be accurate. Flying the long ridges in our region is a very different experience than aerotowing. Most of us who do both enjoy both.

Dan
wmelo

Post by wmelo »

I never flew in SAC.
Is it good for a lousy HG2?
Walt
Walt Melo
walt.melo [at] gmail [dot] com
+1.804.walt.743
jimsmess

Post by jimsmess »

If you go to the hyner web site it will give you all the site info
Jim M
wuffos

Post by wuffos »

wuffos

Post by wuffos »

BTW, Please disregard where the Hynerclub page says "P2 with Observer". It should read "P4 with self-tree-rescue equipment & training only"☺
wmelo

Post by wmelo »

I saw the Google images. I was unable to see any P4 on a tree, but there are a lot of trees around :)
It seems to be a beautiful site, but 5hours from where I live :( Hopefully, I will be able to go in a long holiday weekend.
Good luck and enjoy.

Regs
Walt
Walt Melo
walt.melo [at] gmail [dot] com
+1.804.walt.743
Dunegoon

Post by Dunegoon »

Looking good for the Sac. ETA 11 am. Dr Jack showing 400 ft/min :shock:

C.F.
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

Got a late start and didn't get to launch until noon. Charley, Joe, and Dave Black were present with Dave set up to go and Joe and Charley flying their Zagis. The sky looked good upwind with many clouds and the cycles were smooth in the slot with a little cross from the NE. Dave had to leave early so he gave it a go after 1P and extendoed. Locals Scott Keyser, Bob Beck, and Shawn MacDuff showed up and nobody was in any hurry to launch with the light conditions. Bob finally led the charge after 3P with his Falcon 195 and got up. He eventually flew for 2- hours and got 3800' over. Scott launched next and got up. Scott got 2+ hours and 1500' over. Joe was on the mound for a while and didn't like what he saw and backed off. Doug Rogers showed up after a grooming session at 501. Then it looked better on launch and Joe gave it a go around 4:30P. He cored a nice thermal in the valley and took it to 500' over. I was up next and had a nice launch in a light cycle and worked hard to get up. I flew around for about 45 minutes and got 700' over max. Went in to land so Charley could fly at the end of the day. Doug launched his tandem Falcon 225 after I had landed and had a short soaring flight. Charley had an excellent launch in light conditions, an accurate approach into a severely restriced landing field, and capped it off with a perfect landing. Charley's last flight at Sacramento was in 1984. Bacil