Dullahan ECC Accident Report

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

John Dullahan

Dullahan ECC Accident Report

Post by John Dullahan »

First, congratulations to Felix and Hugh, who had some spectacular flights, and to the sport class pilots who supported each other with little or no evidence of the hard competitiveness that makes people jockey to get in the launch line, etc. Thanks especially to everyone who packed up my HG stuff and take care of me, especially to Sunny and Adam, to Greg Sessa, my room mate at Best Western, who took care of my possessions, the bill etc, and to Hugh McElrath, who retrieved my Subaru. I am sorry to have missed the spectacular flying conditions the latter part of the week.

I came home last night (Monday, June 9th) and am a bit loopy from pain medication (oral morphine, oxycodone) and muscle relaxant (baclofen), which is dispensed by wifie JoAnn, my attentive and meticulous pharmacist and care-giver.

To correct fractures of T3, T4, and T5, T2 through T6 were supported with two permanent titanium rods and pins, and bone grafts were placed where needed. The non-displacement fractures of the scapula and one rib will heal themselves. I can easily walk and climb stairs, but can’t yet drive due to heavy pain medication.

In the past, I had problems keeping the Litesport 4 level on tow, but had no trouble on several tows this year, both before and during the ECC. Although it has an excellent glide, the glider is known for difficulty of flying it straight with VG (Incidentally, Dan Lukaszewicz, who broke his humerus during this ECC, was also flying a Litesport).

After release on my ill-fated tow on June 4th, there were immediate PIOs, which I reduced by pushing out and releasing much of the 1/3 VG I had on during tow. However, the PIOs resumed shortly afterwards, and there was a left turn bias, neither of which completely went away. At about 1,000 ft, while flying just south of the airfield and towards the main road with moderate airspeed (airfield on right), the glider did an uncommanded left turn (right wing rising) even though I was flying with moderate airspeed and trying to turn right towards the LZ. After finally turning and flying NW (winds were about 6 to 8 MPH from the NW), I had continuous PIOs.

At about 40 ft on final, I was to the right and above two aviation fuel tanks, when I had an uncommanded slipping left turn towards the tanks. While unsuccessfully trying to turn back to the right, I saw that the left flying wire would contact the aviation fuel sign extending above the tanks. It did so, which whipped me around the sign and pounded me into the ground, head first, at about a 45 degree angle.

The immediate and intense pain in my back and the broken down tube gave notice that a relight was not going to happen ☹. I was able to get out of the harness and walk towards the break area, but had to lie on my back there due to the pain. It didn’t take long for the EMT team to arrive, which did a quick assessment and put me in a neck brace and on a stiff stretcher. It seemed to take about 15 minutes before the helicopter arrived and another 15 minutes in flight before arriving at the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore.

It didn’t take long to get the results of the CAT scan and X-rays to reveal the injuries. Treatment at the Shock Trauma Center is second to none, and the staff was very professional and friendly. I had surgery on Thursday afternoon and was sitting up in a chair by the next morning and walking a flight of stairs shortly thereafter. Bacil came by several times, and kept me up to date on current affairs.

Talking to Sunny afterwards revealed that while packing the glider away, he noticed one of the fiberglass tip wands had a noticeable bend. He said he would conduct a more thorough glider inspection when he had the time.

Due to the angle, point of contact (head), and severity of my impact with the ground, I am extremely lucky not to have suffered permanent paralysis—or worse. I will keep everyone informed of Sunny’s more detailed glider inspection, and of my progress back to health and to flying status. Thanks, once again, to all those who helped and supported me during and after my traumatic event.
John Dullahan
Larry Huffman

Re: Dullahan ECC Accident Report

Post by Larry Huffman »

John, my thoughts are with you and wishing you a speedy recovery.
Larry
Dan T

Post by Dan T »

Me too John,

I'm glad to see you are already started on your recovery.

Dan
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Hi John,

Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Re- tip wands. I've had a a small score line on one side of one of my tip wands for a little while. After flying on Sunday I noticed that the line was now a deep gouge. I therefore replace it.

Check your tip wands!

Matthew
silverwings

Post by silverwings »

John thanks for your report and status. It's always sad when one of our local community gets hurt flying. You are in my thoughts and hopes for good recovery.
john middleton (202)409-2574 c
theflyingdude

Post by theflyingdude »

Wishing you a speedy recovery and quick return to the air, John!

JR
lbunner

Post by lbunner »

Heal fast John.
Bun
brianvh

Post by brianvh »

I was sorry to hear about your injuries, and am glad you are mobile. As a fellow graduate of Baltimore Shock Trauma I must concur with the assessment of second to none, and the local pilot community is blessed to have them at hand.

-Brian
Brian Vant-Hull
darbbb

Post by darbbb »

Wishing you a quick and complete recovery.

Brad
rasmussenv

Post by rasmussenv »

John,

So, sooo sorry to hear of your significant injury. But, yes, you are right. Given the point of impact so, sooo happy it wasn't worse - no TBI, you are walking, HURRAY! I'm wishing for continued good news on your recovery progress.

Valerie
Valerie
John Anderson

Post by John Anderson »

John-- Glad indeed to hear that you "walked away" and that bones will heal nicely. For me, it was fractures of C-6, C-7, T-3, and L-5. Sort of nifty to tell folks you've broken your neck and back, and claim that's why your tennis sucks, etc. (OK, I had a collapse too near terra firma of a giant pair of flying underpants, wished later it had been my HG; also walked away, later thought maybe I shouldn't have!) But you get to tell 'em whatever! Thanks indeed for the accident write up, giving me a better sense of PIOs and other oscillations, among various tow issues. Will be interested to hear on the glider & parts check. --John
Roger

Post by Roger »

I didn't have the impression from the Oz Report that your damages were anything requiring surgery.

Get well soon John.
Roger
25two-67three--eight eight95 c
Lostgriz

Post by Lostgriz »

John,

The Christensen family is sending positive thoughts your way. We were very sorry to hear of your incident and VERY glad to hear that surgery went well and you are on the road to recovery. If you need anything, you have my number. Please don't hesitate to use it.

Keep us posted.

Matt
jimrooney

Post by jimrooney »

Glad to hear that your recovery is going well.

I know we were all impressed by how well you had the PIO issue sussed out on tow.
I didn't know which switch had flipped, but I didn't care because I've towed you a few times this season and you had things well under control.

We've also determined that you are one tough bastard.
(Apparently when the medic asked "So you were flying", he replied "the flying was fine, it was the crash that did this")

Heal well
Jim
Lauren Tjaden

Post by Lauren Tjaden »

Oh no, John!! Heal quickly. Paul and i send (gentle) hugs.
Lauren
Lucky_Chevy

Post by Lucky_Chevy »

Heal quickly. I've recently received some plates and screws in my arm. It's going to be fine. I plan to sell my litesport in hopes of changing my luck. Take care,

Dan L
Dan L
(Lucky Chevy)
Pete Schumann

Post by Pete Schumann »

Wow! John, you are one lucky and tough dude... Sorry to hear about this and wishing you a speedy recovery.

Pete
brianvh

Post by brianvh »

I just have to come back and note the characteristic classiness of John, who starts off a hospital story with first congratulating other pilots on their flights. Made me smile again reading it.
Brian Vant-Hull
boudreaufly

Post by boudreaufly »

John,
I hope you heal well and quickly. Thank you for the use of your car for the rest of the week. I hope/trust you got all your stuff in good condition.
I sold my Litesport 2 years ago. I don't get to fly as much as most and always felt like I was one little mistake away from losing control and having a bad landing/arrival.
Regardless of the reasons for the two injuries (Dan and John) , the Litesport may not be very forgiving when more than one mistake or bad weather condition happens at the same time.
My Sport 2 doesn't approach the same glide, but it's easy landing characteristics have probably saved some aluminum ( and maybe a broken arm) .
Brian Boudreau
deveil

Post by deveil »

picturing the zipper-line up John's spine, his physical therapy and his reappearance in the sky gave rise to this thought/visualization:

Here's to his reemergence
garyDevan
deveil

Post by deveil »

Lest that was too saccharine, I also thought of the alien from Men in Black. The one who pulled the earthling-skin up over his head, emerging as a giant cockroach then attempting, unsuccessfully, to fly away in a spaceship. Somehow it didn't seem quite as uplifting .
There, John, 'thought I'd try to provide you a chuckle along with the well wishes.
garyDevan