Judy

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

kcarra

Judy

Post by kcarra »

It is with the greatest of sadness that I must report the passing of our dear friend Judy McCarty. She passed away this morning, May 18, at a hospice in Philadelphia after suffering from cancer of the bile. Judy was an amazing friend and mentor to so many of us who were coming up in the ranks as hang 2s. Over the last half dozen years or so Judy has been a school teacher for inner city kids in Philadelphia. When we first met her she was a massage therapist. She had previously worked as a social worker. During the time we knew her she was also a web developer, waitress, and real estate agent. She took a break from working for a year to simply have fun and fly before becoming a teacher. She loved flying and took up paragliding the last couple of years. Judy was a gifted and natural mentor and this is perhaps what led her to teaching.

And she was so much more. Judy was always up for anything—sailing, hiking, cycling, in-line skating. She told us that she would have come to flying trapeze with us had she not been so weak from cancer—unlike a bunch of you fuddy duddies that we have invited.

I’ve come to think that in the end success is best measured by how many people you have touched and how well you were loved. Judy touched the lives of so many of us in the flying community, the scores of children she has taught and her close friends, such as her best friend Jane who took care of her these last few weeks. And we all loved Judy dearly.
I used to sing a song to Judy when I was a hang 2. It’s lame and stupid but I’ll share it with you anyway.

Judy-Judy Goddess of the sky
Judy-Judy sure can fly
Judy-Judy Goddess of the sky
While the others are sinking she stays up high!

Judy-Judy working that lift
Judy-Judy she has a gift
Judy-Judy watch her ascend
We thank you so much for being our friend.

Judy has donated her body to science and there will be no formal ceremony. However, she said that it would be alright if I organized a get-together and remembrance at one of our flying sites. So I plan to set up a fly-in at the Pulpit in a couple of weeks with a goal of flying to Libertytown, MD as Judy did over a decade ago when she won the CHGA flight distance award.

Goodbye Judy—we love you!

Matthew and Karen
Karen Carra
dbodner

Re: Judy

Post by dbodner »

Sad. By the time I came around Judy was mostly towing. I met her at Highland, and she signed my log book for my first H3 spot.
David Bodner
Dan T

Post by Dan T »

Karen,

Thank you for the fitting tribute to our good friend.

Dan
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

Thanks for this. We rejoice in the life of our friend Judy. - Hugh
CraginS

Post by CraginS »

There are good people in this world. Our flying community has, I believe, more than the average share of them across the population. We've lost one of the best. Friend, mentor, kind soul, giving person - Thank you, Judy.
We'll miss you.
I'll miss you.

My own memory to share: I first met Judy when I showed up at the High Rock 20th, a Hang 0 with only a couple of lessons, and knowing only one person in the local clubs. That day I saw mountain launches for the first time. was able to see her first flight from the Rock. Only later, as a new H2, did I really get to know her, and truly appreciate her.

Please allow me to conflate two great song titles from my teen years, and remember, "Judy in the Sky, with Diamonds!
markc

Post by markc »

damn. I was really hoping her illness wouldn't accelerate so quickly, and that Judy would have more time.

I may have been wrong about the origins of "FiFi", but I know that Judy *did* guide at least three pilots on their first XC ridge-runs, shuttling them back and forth at Fisher Road like a mother goose leading her gosslings along, resulting in a win for Team Fifi at the Pulpit Fly-In. *smile*

If I'm not mistaken, Judy may also have the record for the longest hang gliding XC by a female pilot from the Pulpit?

I did not personally benefit from Judy's mentoring, having achieved my H3 a bit prior to her tenure as an observer. But I have certainly benefited from the friendship and camaraderie of those pilots who advanced with the help of her guidance and insights.

damn, again!

A few weeks ago, Judy mentioned how privileged she felt, to have been able to soar the skies unpowered... As do we all. Sigh.

MarkC
carweill

Post by carweill »

I met Judy right after I around when I got the H2 test. She was encouraging me to head for the mountains, like many of us.
Since I have my H2 for a few years I was always looking for observers. She was always helpful and supportive.
I enjoyed the Hangola format that she handle for many years, so much that I wanted to continue once she got busy with teaching. Then she made me realize the effort It may take plus we have changed the way we communicate by then. Still, for me was the best way to see what others did.

I was just outside and I could see a splendid soaring day and I'm sure she is enjoying it.

Like many of us that is something that she enjoyed. She did not stop there, with her mentoring inclination she made sure many would too.

Thank you Judy

Carlos
theflyingdude

Post by theflyingdude »

My favorite Judy story involved her first "high altitude" flight from Henson's Gap, near Dunlap, TN. It was late in the day and things were shutting down when they decided it was a good time to throw Judy off the hill. Kelvin Pierce was sent to the LZ with a radio to provide ground support. Judy launched and was immediately having control issues doing a bunch of PIO's as Kelvin tried to remain calm instructing her to slow down and head directly for the LZ. She immediately turned in the opposite direction, flew even further away from the LZ and appeared to be barely in control of the glider. Kelvin continued coaching her to head directly towards the LZ, barely containing the growing panic in his voice as she was getting lower and at risk of not making it back to the LZ. Judy finally got the glider turned around and headed in the right direction, but was still PIO'ing like crazy as she approached the LZ. Kelvin was still trying to sound calm as he told her to fly straight to the field on final approach, but as she got close, Judy made a radical turn away from the LZ. Kelvin was no longer able to maintain the pretense of being calm and in a near panic, demanded that Judy turn back towards the field. She barely got the glider turned back into the wind before flaring to a perfect no-step landing. That's when Kelvin discovered that it was actually Mitch Shipley flying Judy's glider as she had doubts about being ready to fly the site and gave her glider to Mitch who had been mentoring her on launch. Most of us in the LZ were in on the joke, but Kelvin did not see the humor in it at the time as he screamed at Mitch for scaring the shit out him. Although it may have been a bit cruel as practical jokes go, we laughed long and hard and eventually, even Kelvin had to smile.

JR
Lauren Tjaden

Post by Lauren Tjaden »

Judy welcomed me into the little group of flying ladies with open arms. It becomes clearer and clearer that none of this are getting out of this world alive. The biggest gift is a life well spent, one where we love well and are loved back. I think Judy accomplished this. She'll be missed.
Dave Proctor

Post by Dave Proctor »

Judy was such a sweetie. Always a pleasure to see her, which hasn't been often enough these past few years. I will miss Judy.
Dave P
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

JR - Extended laughing out loud. - Hugh