Pulpit Sunday 5/11

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

XCanytime

Pulpit Sunday 5/11

Post by XCanytime »

Not looking too bad. Any interest? Bacil
Dan T

Re: Pulpit Sunday 5/11

Post by Dan T »

I think it could be a good call and it probably would have been a very good call yesterday. Did anyone try it?

Dan
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

Interested! - Hugh
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Hmmmmm..... looks good early.

Got my fingers crossed the forecast doesn't change.

Matthew
Dunegoon

Post by Dunegoon »

Interested, but won't be available until 4 PM or later. Visiting mother-in-law and family (it's Mother's Day). :shock:

Looks like it might go S or worse later, watching.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Ahhhh! Nothing says HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY more than having brunch and a brew at the Mountain House Bar and Grill in McConnellsburg.

Bacil will be wearing his special Mother's Day chaps.

Matthew
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Still shooting for the Pulpit.

Winds look West till 4pm.

Hoping to get there by 11am.

Gotta leave around 3:30 to go play polo.

Matthew
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

11 it is. Bag and pipes. - Hugh
kcarra

Post by kcarra »

ADDS now showing West till 5 or 6.

Come on out.

Matthew
Karen Carra
Dan T

Post by Dan T »

A handful of us additional PGers are heading out as well. I should be there by about 11:00.

Dan
markc

Post by markc »

Count me in!
markc

Post by markc »

There are so many days when the forecast at the Pulpit is completely at odds with the reality... And today was one of those days!

West? No. Try NNW.

5-10? No. Try 15 to 25+

Sunny? No, at least until 3pm or so.

Going hard SW? No. At least as of 4:30 or so...

So there was much hemming and hawing, among both the HG pilots and the PG pilots.

Among th former were myself, Hugh M, and Valerie. Among the latter were Luis, Jim M, Austin, Dan T, Matt & Karen, plus pilots who bailed before I could meet and/or remember them. Pretty darn good turnout!

Hugh launched first, and I followed. Chose the old ramp given the north cross, and had a good one. Conditions were ratty down low, but got super nice higher up. Topped out at 3.5k above launch, trading places with Hugh during g the flight. Best moment was when a red tail went into a power dive off my wingtip, in search of dinner. Unbelievable how fast they can go!

Landed a few minutes after Hugh, them looked up to see Valerie in the air for a flight. First of the year for her, so she was very happy with a good launch and landing, and some soaring!

Back up top, conditions had started to mellow, and the PG pilots were starting to haul out their wings. I had to leave by 4 or so, and can't say how they did, but hope that it turned out to be a great day! Hope to hear more about their flights!

MarkC

PS: what is that strange gurgling sound coming from my down tubes?!?!
Dan T

Post by Dan T »

The PG contingent managed to get airborne after 5:00 PM when conditions finally mellowed. First off was Jim who showed us that it was still a little early as he had to stand on his speed bar in order to make headway out of the launch area. Eventually we all got into the air and everyone agreed that it was worth the wait. I managed to fly for about 30 minutes topping out just over 700 above launch and landing a mile or so south of the towers where 16 crosses the ridge.

When I walked back up to launch about an hour before sundown the wind was blowing straight in and steady at 8 mph or so. It was clearly on the edge of soarable and may have been wonder winds lifting off in the valley.

Dan