Saturday NW...

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Danny Brotto

Saturday NW...

Post by Danny Brotto »

I know it's early but Saturday afternoon is shaping up to be NW. Only a slight chance of rain, fairly cloudy, moderate temperatures. HR should work; McConnelsburg also a possibility. Won't be spectacular but pleasantly soarable.

Any takers? Updates as the day gets closer.

Sunday looks to be a towing day.

Danny Brotto
bowen.tim

Re: Saturday NW...

Post by bowen.tim »

Danny,

I am in for HR, but need an Observer/Mentor. I will be bringing the Falcon as I have not flown the Sport 2 yet anywhere. Sunday is Easter, so family unfortunately trumps flying (but I will see).
Tim Bowen
Finksburg, MD
four-four-three 821 five-0-one-5
MHGA Treasurer
bjohnson

Post by bjohnson »

Can't you just bring some eggs and hide them around the launch site? Keeps the kids occupied. If you hide them really well, you may be able to get a few hours in!
Danny Brotto

Post by Danny Brotto »

The Saturday forecast has been ramped up. No call for rain in the am now but NW velocities are predicted to be in the 15 to 20 range.

Likely McConnelsburg will be mostly blown out.

HR will be very sporty until late in the day. Launch will be tricky.

Smithsburg (if it is still open) will be fun although perhaps breezy for PG.

Bacil is talking about The Sac but I'm not seeing North or even NNW (although the velocity will be good.)

Have not checked the sites to the south (Woodstock.)

Think I'll fly the sailplane on Saturday. Should be a thermal, ridge, and possibly wave day.

Sunday is still a towing day.

While all of the noaa.gov sites support this NW flow on Saturday, NOAA Weather Radio calls for SE and S 10 to 15 Friday through Monday. How can these two progs (from the same agency?) be so misaligned?

Danny Brotto
silverwings

Post by silverwings »

I see a very Northerly forecast for Saturday even NNE. Smithsburg is not good for NNW because the wind is coming from the houses/trees!
john middleton (202)409-2574 c
Danny Brotto

Post by Danny Brotto »

John,

Multiple noon forecasts showed a solid NW for Saturday. I just checked (7:45 pm) and the latest show more northerly supporting Bacil's call for HR and possibly The Sac (if the velocity is favorable.)

As John stated (with an exclamation point) Smithsburg can become quite turbulent in a north cross.

Danny Brotto