Wanna Be here, first trip to Blue Sky was on Sunday

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

bjohnson

Wanna Be here, first trip to Blue Sky was on Sunday

Post by bjohnson »

Hello all,

My name's Brian, I currently live in Henrico, Va., just to the west of Richmond. I've been reading books and watching videos regarding hang gliding for months and am way more excited than I probably ought to be. I just wanted to put up a post to introduce myself and say thanks to the guys who were able to get me access to post on the board here (Jonithan and Mark). I think I may be a bit early in my pilot career to join the club but judging by the helpful posts I've read here about flight reports, site info, etc., I definitely see the advantage in doing so.

I also wanted to publicize my impression of my first visit to Blue Sky HG in Mannquin, Va. I spoke with Steve Wendt on the phone Saturday night and he filled me in with the details and directed me to his website. He warned me that the wind forecast was a little iffy, but we decided to give it a shot. Upon arriving I was pretty impressed with Steve's set up there. I'm sure lots of the folks reading this are familiar with his equipment, but I certainly wasn't beyond what I'd read before my visit. I'm 31 right now, but I felt like a 7 year old at the fair for the first time. Finally getting to see and touch the gliders and equipment I'd been reading about for 4-5 months was definitely exciting. Steve and two other pilots where there, along with another first timer. Everybody was very friendly and we went right into ground school. Steve did an awesome job explaining things to the two of us who didn't know our left foot from our right and helped me connect a few of the unconnected dots, if you will. Equipment descriptions and fittings, glider basics, simulator, hang check, Steve checked things off the list quickly, but very thoroughly. I didn't find out until later from one of the other pilots that Steve's known around the world as a top notch trainer, and it shows.

When we got ready for our first flights the north wind changed to easterly (90 degree cross to our plan) and picked up to between 8 and 10mph, which Steve reluctantly let us know wasn't a good idea to attempt our first flights in. We waited for the wind to straighten out (and asked a billion questions), but it wasn't in the cards. Eventually we decided to give up on the day and pack it up. Even giving the guys there a hand packing up the gliders that Steve had set up (which he didn't require of us at all, btw) was a welcome learning experience for me. Afterwards he showed us around the facility a bit (RV hookups, shower facility, his workshop, pilot lounge will tons of cool HG stuff, etc), I purchased a HG manual from him and headed home.

I met an SUV traveling the opposite way on rt.360 just a few miles out that was carrying a HG on top and smiled because I knew what it was!

I'd like to give a big thanks to Steve and the other two pilots that were there on Sunday. I'll be back to get my first flights in very soon.

-Brian
FlyingFelix

Re: Wanna Be here, first trip to Blue Sky was on Sunday

Post by FlyingFelix »

Welcome to the wonderful world of Hang Gliding Brian!
You're in good hands with Steve, and very lucky to have a HG school so close to home! Patience is definitely a virtue when it comes to Hang Gliding, but stick with it and you'll be rewarded with an amazing experience that will only get better from here on.
Good luck with your training and looking forward to sharing the air with you in the future.
Felix.
Lucky_Chevy

Post by Lucky_Chevy »

I learned everything I know about hanggliding from Steve Wendt. He is a top notch trainer with a focus on pilot safety (and competence). The scooter tow and truck towing operations are second to none. Steve pioneered alot of the equipment himself and is very methodical. When he takes you to the next step in your training you won't have any doubts that you are ready.

The guys that frequent Blue Sky are as close as brothers. We look out for each other and incourage or correct each other as required. I think that part is just the hang gliding "vibe". I know I feel equally at home visiting Highland Aerosports in Maryland, Lookout Mountain in Georgia, or any of the Florida flight parks. Hanggliding pilots just tend to be cool and easy going people.

Nice to meet you and hope to see you out there,
Dan L
(Lucky Chevy)
sailin

Post by sailin »

Brian,
Glad to hear you are on the right track. Steve is a great instructor and has a an awesome operation. You can't go wrong there.

Come on out to the mountains when you see us post up here about flying so you can meet some other pilots and get a taste for the beautiful mountain sites we have around here. Look forward to meeting you and flying with you soon!

Jon
bjohnson

Post by bjohnson »

Hey thanks for the kind words guys! I'm really looking forward to it. I'm planning a wedding and we're into the thick of that right now, so it might be a couple of weeks before I can get back to Blue Sky.

Jon - The next free weekend I have when Steve thinks the wind may not be right for training I'll post up and see if anyone is flying anywhere. I've got a 4x4 truck and can drive if someone needs, but it doesn't have a rack on it. Well, I have a rack, but it's a "homebrew 2x4" canoe style one. It may work with some padding?

How's that work? Do I drive to the launch, help you guys set up your gliders, hang out and watch until everyone launches, then drive to the landing area to pick people up and drive back? I don't mind any of that at all, btw, I just want to see somebody fly one of these contraptions. ;)
sailin

Post by sailin »

Hey Brian,

No need for a rack just yet. Just come on out when you can and check it all out. The launch help and rides back up to the top will be greatly appreciated by everybody and will also give you a great opportunity to see some launching, flying and landing.

Not sure what your schedule is, but I end up having off more days in the middle of the week than the weekend (most of the time), so do a lot of my flying then. Looks like we will probably be flying Woodstock today and tomorrow? Come on out when ever you can. Look forward to meeting you.

Jon
bjohnson

Post by bjohnson »

Thanks Jon.

I'm a 9-5er. Are any of the sites within an hour or so of Richmond? Probably not I expect. I'll keep an eye on the boards and see when I'm free on a Saturday or Sunday. It may be a couple of weeks, but I'll get out to meet some of you guys eventually.
Lostgriz

Post by Lostgriz »

Welcome to the addiction. I am another Blue Sky alumni and I can't say enough about what a great operation Steve runs. You are lucky to have him so close.

Here is my advice. Enjoy the learning process and don't rush it, but commit to the process. What I am saying is, when you start training, take it very seriously and commit the time. One day here and there is not the best way to learn if you can avoid it. Carve out blocks of time, take some vacation, call in sick or take a sabbatical from work all together. You're training is the foundation for a lifetime of great flying adventures. Mix in some tandem training with Peter Kane at Blue Sky for a well rounded base.

Read the book, ask lots of questions and enjoy the process. You will be soaring before you know it.

Cheers,

Matt
CraginS

Post by CraginS »

Brian,
Welcome to a new addiction in your life. You have started at one of the best places in the country to learn the sport. Steve won't brag on himself, but you should know this. A few years back Steve was HG Instructor of the Year, nationally. More significantly, he developed the scooter-based instructional system you are experiencing, working closely with Wills Wing to get all the details right. He has been teaching it in workshops for instructors all over the country for several years now. You are learning from the best.