2014 Cherry Blossom Kite Festival - Saturday March 29th

For issues related to CHGPA's operations and responsibilities

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

mingram

2014 Cherry Blossom Kite Festival - Saturday March 29th

Post by mingram »

I started just early enough this year to get us on the schedule to participate in the 2014 Cherry Blossom Kite Festival. The date this year is Saturday March 29th.

We missed this last year, but had a good time in 2012 with a hang glider demonstration for kids, a booth with CHGPA information and pictures/maps, and, of course, by kiting paragliders on the mall the one day of the year it's allowed. 2014 will be much of the same although we'll have to spend a little money to rent the booth this year (less than $100), but they're also asking if we'd like to get further involved and provide an activity.

"For further involvement within a booth, what do you think about the idea of a “make and take” activity? We often have a newspaper sponsor, so I was thinking this could be a neat project and perhaps one we can get sponsored…. though I’m not sure if it would work with newspaper: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Paper-Parachute."

I like that one and it's relevant to what we do since we all carry a parachute and train for having to use it. Anyone want to volunteer to help with an activity or have other ideas for good make and take activities?
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
Matthew

Re: 2014 Cherry Blossom Kite Festival - Saturday March 29th

Post by Matthew »

We can help.

Matthew
pvanoevelen

Post by pvanoevelen »

Most likely I will be available too! Happy to help out!
Peter van Oevelen - RoamingDutchman
P4/T3 Instructor/Observer
M: 202 577 6901
Dan T

Post by Dan T »

The hang gliding flight simulations that Craig Shelton has set up for the kids has always been a huge hit. It's a photo op for the parents and has generated a great deal of good will with the attendees. If we were to do just one thing I would suggest that this be it.

However I have to wonder if there isn't a way we could at least arrange an NPS acceptable way to get our PG feet off the ground. It occurred to me that we might be able to harness a couple of us together and 'tow' a PG pilot a couple of feet in the air. Maybe we could get the NPS to let us have 15 minutes in the square for this purpose? I bet the visitors would love to see us actually get airborne.

I realize it's probably a nutty idea but is it any nuttier than building a hang glider out of bamboo and plastic trash bags? :-)

Dan
CraginS

Post by CraginS »

Dan,
We got hassled by the new Cherry Blossom Festival crowd about letting the kids hang under the glider. We had the same problem the year we took a full crew to Udvar-Hazy. That is a major reason I am not participating this year. If we could get firm approval to let the kids hang and swing, without ridiculous lawsuit-fear-induced waivers, it might be worth trying. I have my doubts. If anyone thinks they can get the ok, and wants to set up their glider for that, I'll work to get the kid's harness to you before the festival.
mingram

Post by mingram »

Organizers will give us space for a hang glider this year. They said nothing about needing waivers.
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
ryanlds

Post by ryanlds »

I would love to participate!

Ryan R.
CraginS

Post by CraginS »

Mark Cavanaugh now has custody of my kid's size red harness for hang-hanging young'ns. If anyone can commit to setting up a glider at the display, and you can recruit a few members to run the event, check with Mark. It takes two people at the glider, minimum, and three is better. With two, one gets the kid into the harness , sets up the pose, and talks to the kids and parents. The second person is at the tail, raising and lowering the tail on cue, so the kid gets to fly (think hang check position). A third person helps greatly in keeping the line organized (there WILL be a line!). It's impossible to run the hanging operation at the glider and also promote the sport at the table at the same time. However, easy to rotate duties among whoever is there.
markc

Post by markc »

I have that harness which Craig mentioned, and would even be willing to help out on the Mall, provided that there will actually be a CHGPA presence this year.... Does anyone know if that is going to happen?

MarkC
mingram

Post by mingram »

I'm planning on it.
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
mingram

Post by mingram »

I just talked with the Kite Fest organizer and got a verbal commitment for space to display a hang glider and kiting on the mall. I decided to keep it simple this year since time is tight and only reserved a table and 2 chairs instead of getting a booth and doing the make and take activity. Mark, will you be bringing your hang glider or do we need to find someone else? I'll have more details about timing and a map for load-in/load-out next week.
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
ryanlds

Post by ryanlds »

The website says the kite festival will be from 1000-1630. Can we show up anytime between 1000 and 1630 to kite?

Ryan
mingram

Post by mingram »

Definitely. If the wind is on do it.
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
mingram

Post by mingram »

Rain is likely on Saturday. The official rain date is Sunday. I'm in contact with the organizer and will know by 5am Saturday at the latest if it will be postponed.

We have an official parking spot on Constitution Ave. this year with a parking pass. Whoever is bringing a hang glider can have it. Load in starts at 8am until 9:30am. Load out is at 4:30pm. Once we arrive we're supposed to, "check in with the Operations Tent so we can determine the best spot for the glider".

There's no official location for PG kiting. In the past we've been able to share the demonstration field when nothing is going on, but any public field is pretty much fair game for our big kites. If it's roped off, then you need to ask an organizer.
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

I just got a notice that the Kite Festival has been postponed till Sunday.

http://www.nationalcherryblossomfestiva ... estival-2/

Not sure how it will be on Sunday-- now rain is called for on Sunday morning followed clearing skies and winds with gusts to 35--- SHOULD BE EXCITING!!!

Matthew
mingram

Post by mingram »

Cancelled. It might be time to move to sunny California!
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
dbodner

Post by dbodner »

WAMU radio said it was on for today despite the rain, though I can't imagine it being fun for either PG or HG.
David Bodner