Woodstock afternoon 3/22

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

sailin

Woodstock afternoon 3/22

Post by sailin »

Anybody want to give it a try tomorrow afternoon at Woodstock. Looks cloudy, raining and WSW in the morning and then decreasing clouds and increasing chance of WNW as the afternoon goes on.

Jon
brucekav

Re: Woodstock afternoon 3/22

Post by brucekav »

If it looks like a reasonable chance of flying I'd be up for it. Having not been there before I'd need to tag along with others, so grateful if you could keep me posted.

Bruce
silverwings

Post by silverwings »

The forecast as of tonight looks fairly good for Woodstock HG on Saturday mid to late afternoon. I might be interested and will check the forecast in the morning.
john middleton (202)409-2574 c
garys

Post by garys »

I called about the road open/close situation yesterday afternoon. Woodstock dispatch said it was closed. It may be open today. Plan for a hike or not. Hope not. I might go but have to drive to Upper Marboro Md. first then out to WS. My ETA if I go is 3:00. Not sure it is worth it with that late of a start if the road is closed.
Gary Smith
kcarra

Post by kcarra »

Just called--- Road is still closed -- 8:30 Saturday morning. If anyone finds out otherwise, please post.

Matthew
Karen Carra
sailin

Post by sailin »

Big bummer about the road. I will most likely head up this afternoon and hike in....planning arriving at back gate around 230pmish.

Jon
markc

Post by markc »

Wish I could go, that hike would be a hearty & healthy one! But I've been down with the flu since last weekend, just starting to feel better, so I'm going to have miss out on this one. Good luck Jon, I hope that the effort is well rewarded!

MarkC
sailin

Post by sailin »

Update 230pm

Gate is open. Right now west at 10-15mph wih gust to 18-20mph, occasionally something stronger.

Jon
brucekav

Post by brucekav »

So I finally got round to flying an American hill site for the first time since I arrived here just over a year ago and what a great day at Woodstock. Good conditions on launch and smooth lift at up to 500ft/min to 6000ft. What more could you ask for after a bit of a lay off. Big thanks to Jon for encouraging me out and helping me find my way to launch and to Bacil and Amy for helping on launch. Looking forward to getting out in the hills again soon.

Bruce
sailin

Post by sailin »

Really nice day at Woodstock. Lots of lift and had some 500fpm up on the averager. Maxed out at 5200' msl. Just what I needed !!! Really enjoyed flying with you Bruce and meeting your family. Big thanks to Amy and Bacil for the wire crew !

Hopefully lots more beautiful days like that to come this season!

Jon