CHGPA 2014 Membership Renewal Campaign

For issues related to CHGPA's operations and responsibilities

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

JohnE

Post by JohnE »

Happy New Year!
As the year has changed, I knew it was time to renew my CHGPA membership.
It was easy on PayPal: I just went to
http://www.chgpa.org/ClubInfo/chgpa.due ... aypal.html
and it only took 2 minutes. I presume the dues are still $40 (as that is what was indicated)?
Anyway, I thought I would post this as a reminder to any others who may find the link useful.
John
John Hopkinson
John at Hopkinson .org
Lucky_Chevy

Re: 2014 Dues

Post by Lucky_Chevy »

Done. I'll get in the habit of writing that check every January.

Dan L
Dan L
(Lucky Chevy)
markc

Post by markc »

Done!

Dan, John, many thanks for the reminder.

And thanks to Carlos, our Treasurer, for managing CHGPA club memberships.

Have YOU renewed????? If so, let's hear from you!!!!!

Less than 25% of forum registrants are CHGPA members. A little show-of-hands might help us increase that number.

MarkC
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

Done. - Hugh
dbodner

Post by dbodner »

et moi
David Bodner
CraginS

Post by CraginS »

Are we no longer running a dual membership renewal with MHGA?
The cart selections on the linked page offer annual flying, ($40), annual non-flying ($25), and 10 day ($15) for CHGPA, only.
I was going to do my PayPal thing today, but would like to take care of both clubs in a single action, as in prior years, if I can.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Karen and I have renewed.

I think joint membership is a thing of the past--- like monthly meetings, the newsletter, landlines, etc., etc.

Matthew
FlyingFelix

Post by FlyingFelix »

Wait, really? No joint clubs anymore?
Well.....what do I do? Since it was easier to do it all online, I've been a chgpa member from the beginning (as in 2 years ago) - since that included me in the local MHGA club I was a happy camper. I live in Baltimore.
I guess I'll stick to and support to local club from now on? If I stay a member of MHGA will I still be able to fly all the sites I've been flying? I'm guessing yes...?
This sucks - when did this separation take place?
Felix.
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

I think the two clubs are still joined at the hip by co-ownership of the Pulpit launch. It was an annual mess exchanging joint membership dues money. The clubs still co-operate on paying site insurance for Pulpit and High Rock LZs, but it has happened that the site insurance renewal got dropped because one club treasurer thought the other one was doing it. Under our current highly-efficient treasurer Carlos Weil this problem has not occurred! (There is/was also a separate Pulpit treasurer - aaaagh!) To fly the Pulpit, you should have a current "pulpit sticker" on your helmet,obtained by joining one or the other club. I don't think it is a strict requirement to belong to CHGPA to fly CHGPA-managed sites like Woodstock, but you really ought to contribute to the site insurance/landowner gift for the LZ - and to the overhead for running this forum of sweetness and light. (I think Daniel's site insurance is paid by the vestigial Central Virginia Hang-gliding Association with perhaps voluntary contributions from CHGPA/pilots who frequently use the site.) Don't ask me why there are two clubs in the metropolitan area - this is one of those unresolvable issues… Dave Bodner seems to understand all the site insurance/landowner gift division of responsibilities; Danny Brotto knows why MHGA does not want to merge with CHGPA - something to do with the value of historical contributions to buy the Pulpit launch site. Also, Richard Hays hosts good parties/MHGA meetings… - Hugh
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Site insurance is not required for Daniel's or Woodstock or any of the Northern Virginia Mountain sites. So none is paid. There is no CVHGA-- it's been gone for maybe a decade. Flying membership in either MHGA or CHGPA pays for site insurance at High Rock, Oregon Ridge, Pulpit, Bill's Hill (and Fisher Road if we ever get an LZ again). The flying membership in either club gives you a Pulpit sticker which is good for flying at the Pulpit and Bill's Hill. Thus, you need to be a member of either club or buy a 10 day pass to fly these two sites. You do not need to be a member to fly at High Rock, Oregon Ridge, Taylor's, Smithsburg or any of the No. VA sites. However, club moneys are used to pay for landowner gifts or pay for improvements. So please pay your dues to either club.

And, of course, to fly the Skyline Drive sites you need to purchase an annual Shenandoah National Park Special Use Permit, which is different from the permit just to get into the park. You also have to buy one of these-- either an annual pass or a day pass each time you enter the park.

And, you also need to fill out all of the various waivers specific for each site.

See-- http://www.chgpa.org/Waivers/waivers.html

Plus, there's a separate High Rock Waiver you fill out on site before ever flying there!

Matthew
Matthew

Clubs

Post by Matthew »

I just checked USHPA for clubs in region 9. CVHGA is back. And MHGA Is gone!

http://ushpa.aero/clubs_table.asp?region=9

What's up with that?

Matthew
CraginS

Post by CraginS »

OK, I renewed with CHGPA.
If I hear from Bunkhouse Bob, I'll do the same for MHGA,separately, hoping it is still real.
FlyingFelix

Post by FlyingFelix »

I honestly cant' remember if I paid this year's dues...is there a way to check this? I think I paid it last year for 2014, but am not 100% sure.
Any help appreciated.
Felix.
carweill

Post by carweill »

I will ask for some patience getting feedback on membership.
I plan to update the roster for 2014 in the next few weeks.
In the meantime I will not be able to respond individually.

I will announce on this here once available.

Carlos
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Thanks Carlos.

You and the rest of the BOD are doing an amazing job. As I have mentioned before, I'd love to see you guys stay on for another year. But as you and Bacil have been doing this for quite a long time, it would be nice if some of the newer pilots, or those who have not served on the BOD, step up to the plate and volunteer to serve. Ward would make a great safety director (flight director). How about it Ward???

And we have lots of hang 3s and hang 2s, P3s and P2s, who could become treasurer. I did my first term as treasurer when I was a hang 2. Don't be shy-- your club needs you.

Matthew
ryanlds

Post by ryanlds »

Paid.

Ryan
markc

Post by markc »

Just want to be sure that everyone knows that the Joint-Membership change is solely driven by technical issues. CHGPA's online payment system is very basic : Carlos keeps track of the PayPal/check payments, the PayPal dues go into the checking acct automatically, but physical checks have to be taken to the bank. And Carlos updates the club roster accordingly, keeping track of who's renewed and who needs a gentle reminder. So it's a lot of work.

Joint-memberships require that a portion of the payment be remitted to MHGA, and vice-versa. There's absolutely no automation for that activity, so our Treasurer and the MHGA Treasurer have to keep special track of new/renewing/expiring DUAL members, and ultimately cut checks to the other club. This is a huge PITA, and the only way that it could be made easier is if the payment systems were *WAY* more sophisticated than they are now.

So we had to make a practical decision, and keep life semi-sane for our own well-beloved Treasurer, Carlos.

We will update our membership-related pages with links that point to MHGA, and encourage people to support both clubs. I'll try to look into that ASAP.

MarkC
jeverett

Re: CHGPA 2014 Membership Renewal Campaign

Post by jeverett »

Done
carweill

Post by carweill »

For your information updates to the roster are here:

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=6176

Carlos
bowen.tim

Post by bowen.tim »

Bunkhouse Bob has officially retired as Treasurer for MHGA. I have been appointed to fulfill his term.

As for Joint Membership between the two clubs, has any option been explored to add a 3rd option to your Paypal selection for “Joint Membership” at a reduced rate from the “Flying Member” rate? There is no reason to pay the Pulpit fee ($15) twice. And in this way, the two Treasurers would not have to reconcile their databases, but members can support both clubs.

Since the Joint Membership option was taken off the table in your current structure, MHGA is offering a joint membership option in their Membership Renewal campaign. Letters (we are not as technically savvy as you guys) were put in the mail yesterday to MHGA members, plus CHGPA members that have held joint membership, or addresses we had on file.

If you would like an MHGA application, please PM me at bowen.tim at Comcast.net. Support between the two clubs is vital to the continued success of our sport.

My intent was not to take over this thread with MHGA business, but to inform CHGPA members that options for joint memberships still exists at MHGA.

Thanks,
Tim Bowen
Finksburg, MD
four-four-three 821 five-0-one-5
MHGA Treasurer
Ward Odenwald

Post by Ward Odenwald »

Tim thanks for your time an effort! I received the MHGA renewal letter yesterday and I’m looking forward to the April 12th meeting. As Richard emphasizes in his letter, the upcoming meeting is going to be really important for both the MHGA and Hang Gliding in the mid-Atlantic region so please support the club and participate on April 12th.

Ward
carweill

Post by carweill »

Hi Tim,
I will try to respond to you in this link:
http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=6214
to concentrate in MHGA and CHGPA issues.

You make good points and bring a new fresh view.

Carlos