Alan Hobner dies

For issues related to CHGPA's operations and responsibilities

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

silverwings

Alan Hobner dies

Post by silverwings »

Alan Hobner who was a long time club member and for many years printed Skyline died earlier this year. He committed suicide. He provided an important service to the club and will be missed.
john middleton (202)409-2574 c
RichH

Re: Alan Hobner dies

Post by RichH »

Oh no ..such a good man who went out of his way to help this organization. He gave countless hours to the club and help make the Skyline one of the best hang gliding club publications in the country. If you are ever curious you should see the quality newsletter that he helped put together. Very sorry to hear the news...
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

That really sucks. I just talked to Alan in December. He was still trying to find a buyer for his old gliders. He sounded in good spirits then and said we may see him out at Smithsburg this winter.

Matthew
markc

Post by markc »

That's a damn shame. I only knew Alan from the occasional fly-in, or a swing by High Rock, but he always seemed pretty upbeat. My condolences to Alan's family and friends.

Does anyone know the time period when Alan was contributing to Skyline? I have an archive of issues that goes back to the 70's and 80's. Might be appropriate to bring some from his tenure to the next meeting?

News like this (and sheesh, Nigel's wife) sure puts things into perspective. Sigh.

MarkC
RichH

Post by RichH »

I believe he was involved in the early to mid 80s ..
CraginS

Post by CraginS »

Sad news, and a tragedy. My condolences to family and survivors. I had several good conversations with Alan when I was working on the club newsletter, years ago. He used to show up every so often at CHGA meetings at Lasick's, long after he had stopped flying regularly.