Please respond to Chute Repack Poll

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

markc

Post by markc »

Hi,

As you know, CHGPA (with Craig as organizer) is arranging for
a chute pack at Blue Sky/Manquin on Sat Sept 10th, and possibly
Sun Sept 11th as well.

A poll is available at the CHGPA forum website where you can
indicate whether you plan to attend:

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=819

Please take a moment to participate in that poll, which will give Craig
a rough idea of how many pilots plan to attend. Only 7 people
have responded, and I'm guessing that lots more probably plan
to go.

Thanks for your help!

--mark
Spark

Re: Please respond to Chute Repack Poll

Post by Spark »

I tried to change my vote, but couldn't.
markc wrote:Hi,
As you know, CHGPA (with Craig as organizer) is arranging for
a chute pack at Blue Sky/Manquin on Sat Sept 10th, and possibly
Sun Sept 11th as well.

A poll is available at the CHGPA forum website where you can
indicate whether you plan to attend:

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=819

Please take a moment to participate in that poll, which will give Craig
a rough idea of how many pilots plan to attend. Only 7 people
have responded, and I'm guessing that lots more probably plan
to go.

Thanks for your help!

--mark
'Spark
silverwings

Post by silverwings »

It was a little bit unclear to me how you go about entering your vote. But I think it worked by going to post a reply to the sticky subject about the chute repack and once longed on, it allowed you to select and register your answer.
john middleton (202)409-2574 c
brianvh

Post by brianvh »

I couldn't figure it out either. After John's explanation I'm even more
confused. Guess I've gotta haul my sorry mass to the web interface and
try it. Not gonna comment on "posts" and "sticky subjects" and "long on"
'cause I'll be in way over my head.

Brian Vant-Hull
301-646-1149

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005, silverwings wrote:

>
> It was a little bit unclear to me how you go about entering your vote.
But I think it worked by going to post a reply to the sticky subject about
the chute repack and once longed on, it allowed you to select and register
your answer.john middleton
>
Scott

Post by Scott »

So...is the chute repack definitely happening this weekend? Haven't heard a peep about it. And is anyone coming??? (I plan to be there.) Do we still need help with tables?

Scott
Scott

Post by Scott »

Assuming the chute repack is happening this weekend, I thought I'd take the liberty of posting Brian Vant-Hull's article from the February 2003 Skyline entitled...

Why You Should Come to the Parachute Repack

First of all, I'm guessing some of you don't even know the color of your parachute. The last thing you need when you throw the thing for real is to find yourself distracted by that canary yellow ("Wait! That ain't right...I thought it was supposed to be army green..." SMACK!), while all the time you should be concentrating on landing in one piece. You could perhaps satisfy your curiosity without actually performing a repack, as the same objective can be accomplished with little more complication and effort than looking up a girl's dress; though the risks are admittedly somewhat different.

We can send our parachutes away to be repacked and inspected professionally for about the same price as it costs to rent a room suitable for repacking. This is truly the best way to do it, but it takes two weeks. Okay, let's have a show of hands from everyone who has sent their chute away to be repacked in the last year. Uh....a little higher, please; that count can't be right. No, I mean it: raise your hands! How embarrassing. Now how many of you would actually come to a repack where you can hang out, maybe practice throwing your chute, and hopefully learn something about packing it?

No, it's not superior to the professional service; but given the psychology of the thing, scheduled on the calendar so one has no choice about putting if off another week, at least it's not subject to procrastination.

But is it safe? With the caveat that everyone still sends their chute back every couple years to be inspected, I'd say it is. The calculus of probabilities balancing the risks of doing a poor repack versus an unfluffed parachute sticking together on deployment is rather subtle. If you're worried about not having a highly experienced person doing it for you, just hear me out.

Last year we had 3 experienced packers. Most pilots who came took advantage of the opportunity to learn how to pack their own chutes with little hints and nudges from the experts. The fact is, it's not very difficult, and with the experience and written guidelines from last year I feel quite good about it, and believe many others do as well. Wouldn't you feel better knowing how to pack the thing yourself? And in case you're worried about making a crucial mistake, let me quote Bill Gargano, designer of the quantum parachute: "you could wad them up like old clothes in a stuff-bag and they'd still deploy. It's just a matter of how many extra seconds it takes." That's assuming they're not stuck together from years without being repacked.

I'm no expert, but it seems like the major danger would come from routing your bridle line incorrectly. But guess what: if you send if off to be repacked, you have to put it in yourself anyway! So in the final analysis: EITHER send it away to be repacked OR come do it yourself. In the absence of deployment practice, the first option is best, but the second is better than nothing at all. And if you practice deployment, the two might balance in virtue.

Besides, we'll have a grill.

Suggested things to do in the few days before coming:

1. Yank your chute, throw it, and let it air out for a few hours (I'd suggest getting together with friends in a park...maybe even suspend yourself from a jungle jim). Try not to lose the bungee retainer loops.

2. Gather any parachute literature and manuals you can find, and read them.

What to Bring:

1. Parachute, helmet and harness (for deployment practice).
2. Any literature you have concerning parachutes, especially your parachute manual.
3. Weights for the parachute packing process. Tube socks filled with beans are excellent: but old phone books work pretty well too.
4. Any food, drinks, or snacks that you want. We will have a grill with some food for a nominal fee. Yes, alcohol is welcome!
5. Money for fees and anything else we might do afterwards.
6. Cassette tapes with music to enhance the packing experience.

What to do when you arrive:
1. Hang yourself up and practice deployment, even if you practiced a few days ago.
2. Stretch out the chute on the tables, and inspect it for wear.
3. Get a buddy and repack the chute.
4. Hang out and party!
Spark

Post by Spark »

I wish I could attend. Here is some relevant information.

http://www.highenergysports.com/hg_articles.htm

For PG pilots: Many PG reserves use 'Diaper' deployment bags. I recommend replacing the Diaper with a staged deployment bag, to avoid 'line dump' and entanglement. More information on this is at the following link:

http://www.highenergysports.com/article ... glider.htm
'Spark
Scott

Post by Scott »

Umm....this is happening, right? I only ask because the last official announcement was on August 1st...and club members are already posting "where are we gonna fly this weekend?" questions.

I'm just trying to plan with my daughter for the weekend, and haven't heard a peep from anyone---officially---regarding the repack.

Thanks,
Scott