wmelo

buying a Windsock...where to buy one?

Post by wmelo »

Hi guys
One of my observers is annoying me about a windsock, since I do not have one :(
Where can I buy one? Any hints?

Walt
theflyingdude

Re: buying a Windsock...where to buy one?

Post by theflyingdude »

dbodner

Post by dbodner »

Maybe I need to fly with glasses, but I usually don't see a windsock until it's too late. And they need to mounted perfectly vertically, or they'll "lie" to us in light wind situations.

For our purposes, I think streamers work just as well. Those are usually made from a roll of pink or orange construction tape from the hardware store. They still need to mounted onto a stick of some kind. And that can probably be improvised for not a lot of money, maybe something like http://www.homedepot.com/p/Blazer-Inter ... qIEGBydNGE.

Even better than a streamer, in my opinion, is a whirly, ziggy-zaggy kind thing you'd buy from the beach kite shop to decorate your front lawn on a breezy day. I think Valerie had one of those up the last I landed at Woodstock, and even I saw it.
David Bodner
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

The spinner windsocks that Dave is describing are the best. The speed of the spinning is directly proportional to the windspeed it's seeing. They are easy to see from aloft since they usually are rainbow colored and 4' to 6' long. http://www.intothewind.com is where I got my 4' spinners (item 6830). Bacil
wmelo

Post by wmelo »

Thank you very much for the hints. I have just received the ziggy-zaggy think. I am looking forward to trying them. Hopefully, my observer will stop bugging me about it :)

Cheers

walt
Walt Melo
walt.melo [at] gmail [dot] com
+1.804.walt.743