Flying Saturday

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Matthew

Flying Saturday

Post by Matthew »

Looks WNW to NW all weekend. Busy on Sunday.

Light winds are predicted. But I'm not buying it with a ten degree temperature drop each day-- Sat. and Sun.

I'm guessing Woodstock.

Matthew
Dan T

Re: Flying Saturday

Post by Dan T »

Woo hoo. I hope you are right. Come on out, bring both wings. Last weekend was great.

Dan
wmelo

Post by wmelo »

So far, it looks we will have a good Sunday at Woodstock. Hopefully, Sat will also a good day at Woodstock and/or Pulpit.
Anyway, if the weather is good, and I have an observer :) I will be delighted to go :)
We could have good "lunches" again at Woodstock :lol:

Cheers, Walt
Walt Melo
walt.melo [at] gmail [dot] com
+1.804.walt.743
Danny Brotto

Post by Danny Brotto »

My sailplane is having some TLC performed so I'll get out the HG this WE. Saturday is westerly trending to the NW, fairly cloudy, not strong. I think I'll give HR a try. Any other takers?

Sunday is going to be cooking NW. We are looking at early morning launches into the wave on Sunday morning at the g-port. If anyone wants to fly with me in a 2-place to give the wave a try, PM me. (If I don't respond it's because I will already have signed up a passenger.) This will mean being up at the g-port by about 8:00 am and possibly not going due to conditions; I reserve the right to make the call. Will be down by mid/late morning. Smithburg in the afternoon in the HG is also on the agenda Sunday.

Danny Brotto
Pete Schumann

Post by Pete Schumann »

Hey Danny,

Great offer! I'd love to go up in a sail plane let me know if I'm in 703 303 0905. Sent a PM.
Thanks,
Pete
sailin

Post by sailin »

I am hoping to give Woodstock a go tomorrow afternoon if anyone else is interested. Sunday is definitely the choice day but I have to work so I am hoping to catch some airtime tomorrow afternoon.
I have some stuff I need to take care of in the morning but could be up at launch at 230pmish.

Any interest ?

Jon
andybalkphysics

Post by andybalkphysics »

Jon,

My old instructor and his gang were thinking of going to the pulpit again tomorrow. I won't be there but they seem pretty serious about it.

-Andy
Joe Schad

Post by Joe Schad »

I hope to try Woodstock Saturday.

Joe
silverwings

Post by silverwings »

I am interested in flying on either Saturday or Sunday possibly at Woodstock or maybe High Rock if others. Will see how it looks in the morning.
john middleton (202)409-2574 c
Ward Odenwald

Post by Ward Odenwald »

Should also consider Highland for tomorrow as the other options have their issues (west cross @ WS and high winds to the north). Unfortunately, its not an easy decision as Highland also has its own forecasted warts. Tomorrow's "light of day" will guide us. Ward
markc

Post by markc »

Watching the forecasts with interest! Possibility of back 2 back days at Woodstock? Guess we'll see!

MarkC
chuckok

Post by chuckok »

Crossing my fingers for Woodstock!

Just over two years since I broke my leg out there and gained the extra hardware.

After spending the last year retraining and working with my new/used Sport II, I'm looking forward to my first mountain flight back in the saddle being the site that was my last.

Hope to see you there!

Chuck
Chuck O’Keeffe, H3
Icaro 2000 RX2 190
Dave Proctor

Post by Dave Proctor »

Could work at WS. I am going to Highland today. Lighter winds, low chance of precip. The thermal forecasts do not agree. Hoping RUC is right.

DaveP
Dave P
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Woodstock Forecast--

TODAY
PARTLY SUNNY. SCATTERED SPRINKLES IN THE AFTERNOON. HIGHS
IN THE UPPER 50S. WEST WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 MPH.

Going to Woodstock!

Matthew
markc

Post by markc »

Heading to WS in hopes of a fall-colors flight. Call if you want to coordinate on a shuttle 301 807-5414

MarkC
sailin

Post by sailin »

Hoping to be up at WS launch between 230-3pm

Jon
silverwings

Post by silverwings »

Going to Woodstock, eta lz at 12:00
john middleton (202)409-2574 c
DanTuck

Post by DanTuck »

Woodstock it is. See you there.
Mobius1

Post by Mobius1 »

Are some of you who are going observers?
My conversations will never go deeper than the weather.
FlyingFelix

Post by FlyingFelix »

Well, was it spectacular? I thought about it all day... :lol: hope everyone had great flights, now do tell.
Felix.
Joe Schad

Post by Joe Schad »

Well it was good. Several folks from Kitty Hawk were there. Everyone flew. I launched at 2:20 and got about 2200 over. Tried to get to short mountain but could not make myself commit to heading to the ridge. Several sail planes were low on the ridge. Good day for all.

Joe
DanTuck

Post by DanTuck »

It was a great day today. Thanks John M for the ride up and the help on launch. I got freezing at 5,400msl because I had the bright idea to leave my bar mits in the truck. So I flew into the valley to get lower and warmer. Problem was there was a 20-25 mph headwind so to get anywhere I had to fly fast which only made me colder. Even way out in the valley the air was really buoyant. After slogging upwind for an eternity I crossed I-81 and then played around over the town of Woodstock. Flew for only an hour and came back for a nice landing in the primary - was actually the first one down so I got to film everyone's landings. Not bad, not bad. 8) I'll put together a video and post it soon. Some pictures from my flight below. And how about tomorrow? Anyone up for it? It looks like it could be another good day! I'm charging my cameras.
Attachments
Finally crossing Rt 11 into Woodstock
Finally crossing Rt 11 into Woodstock
Out over I-81 looking North
Out over I-81 looking North
Climbing over Woodstock on the way back
Climbing over Woodstock on the way back
wesleycomerer

Post by wesleycomerer »

I'm hopeful for Woodstock on Sunday. I will need an observer. I flew there 2 weeks ago--a safe sled ride observed by John M. and Steve K.--and should be able to meet in LZ @12.
Rich E

Post by Rich E »

Am also hopeful/planning on heading there Sun - anyone else?
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Wild day at Woodstock. Got there and it was light at around 12:30. However, the clouds were zooming by overhead. Got the HG instead of the PG. After I finished setting up, Lazlo showed up with his PG and decided to give it a try. As soon as he laid out his canopy-- the winds really picked up and he had to bag it. Then it was off to the races-- I helped launch a a bunch of people and queued up after Karen and Dan Tuck. I lucked out with a nice straight in cycle and climbed right out. I went North to Strasburg bobbing along between 800 and 2K over. At the reservoir I climbed to 3100 over and then flew off the North point, which was working despite the South cross. Heading back-- it took FOREVER. I was stuck at the reservoir for about 45 minutes-- up and down and up and down. Lots and lots of turbulence!!!

Once I finally made it to another finger south, things started to mellow out. Back at launch I climbed to 3300 over launch and had a grand old time in smooth air with nice lift all the way out in the valley. Then it got really strong again and I was pinned on the ridge just behind launch at 2K over. I had to crab to the South to get out of the venturi created by the gap in the ridge behind launch. Even then I was on full VG with arms locked to punch back out front and I decided to land. Karen warned me on radio that it was trashy. And WHOA was it trashy! I got my ass kicked going downwind -- but managed to pull of a good landing in front of Dan Tuck's camera.

The next approach, by Doug Haber, was WAY wild and scary. But he pulled it off.

I ended up with two hours 20 minutes. Karen got a little over an hour.

Matthew
Last edited by Matthew on Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.