Sun (10/18) @ Pulpit/ High Rock

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

wmelo

Sun (10/18) @ Pulpit/ High Rock

Post by wmelo »

Dear colleagues

I am looking forward to flying this weekend. It looks like we will have a nice weekend in front of us. Unfortunately, I will not be able to go out today (Fri), but I wish you all a good flying PM at Pulpit.

Looking the weather forecast, it looks that both Pulpit and High Rock may be doable. However, I am not sure that would be the best option for a lousy HG2.

Pulpit:
SUNDAY
MOSTLY SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE MID 50S. WEST WINDS 10 TO
15 MPH.
High rock:
SUNDAY
SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE UPPER 50S. WEST WINDS 5 TO 10 MPH.
what do you think? What would be the safest option for a lousy HG2? Any observer?

Cheers

Walt
Walt Melo
walt.melo [at] gmail [dot] com
+1.804.walt.743
Matthew

Re: Sun (10/18) @ Pulpit/ High Rock

Post by Matthew »

Karen and I are planning on flying somewhere on Sunday. Not sure which site. We'll give you a call around 9 on Sunday morning.

Matthew
Ashley Groves

Post by Ashley Groves »

I am thinking Sunday, 20Oct, as well. Watch weather for best site. Pulpit or Highland if winds are light are my best guesses.
Ashley Groves
wmelo

Post by wmelo »

Oppss...Sunday 10/20 not 10/18 :)
walt
Walt Melo
+1.804.walt.743
FlyingFelix

Post by FlyingFelix »

Andy and I will be at The Pulpit around 11:30 - 12.
Should be another good day. Hope to see lots of pilots out there!
Last edited by FlyingFelix on Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Felix.
Rich E

Post by Rich E »

Felix, Pulpit?
FlyingFelix

Post by FlyingFelix »

Yes, sorry I just edited my text to say that...
Felix.
Rich E

Post by Rich E »

Awesome - see you there. My S2 is at Highland for an annual... :( guess it will be the Falcon ;)
mingram

Post by mingram »

Looks like Dickeys may work again on Sunday.
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
brianvh

Post by brianvh »

Since I didn't come down this weekend I've got no dog in this fight, but can't resist making predictions.

High Rock will be launchable, but only because it's light enough to deal with the cross. Will not be soarable unless you are lucky enough to hook a thermal. Pulpit will be launchable at midday for hardy souls with wire crew, soarable all day with most people getting off after 5:30 when the winds lighten to less ballsy speeds. That's where the pilots will be.
Brian Vant-Hull
FlyingFelix

Post by FlyingFelix »

Whoa, it sure does look good at Dickeys for HG...is anyone else (HG) interested in going? It would be my first time there so I need your support - c'mon Steve Kinsley, Tom McGovan, lets go flying :-) Got the park permit and all.
If not, The Pulpit it is...
Felix.
FlyingFelix

Post by FlyingFelix »

Well, I managed to corrupt Steve so I'm out of Pulpit tomorrow and going to Dickeys.
Should be a good day no matter where you fly :-)
Safe flights to all!
Felix.
andybalkphysics

Post by andybalkphysics »

Be there at noonish, should be a pretty good day.

-Andy
markc

Post by markc »

Probably heading to the Pulpit tomorrow, assuming no huge change in the forecasts tomorrow AM.

MarkC
DanTuck

Post by DanTuck »

Think I'll give Pulpit a try also. ETA 11:00ish
Ashley Groves

Post by Ashley Groves »

Interested in Pulpit as well.
Ashley Groves
bahamianflyer

Post by bahamianflyer »

I am interested in Dickey's. Is anyone going for sure?

Bruce
Dunegoon

Post by Dunegoon »

Off to the Pulpit. ETA 11:00. Sunday morning 10/20/13

Charley
kcarra

Post by kcarra »

Pretty windy out there at 8:30am. I'll follow the lemmings towards the Pulpit. But I think High Rock is a better bet.

Matthew
Karen Carra
Ashley Groves

Post by Ashley Groves »

I'll be at pulpit 11:30ish
Ashley Groves
markc

Post by markc »

I'll head to the Pulpit. If it's blowing 25+ without let up, might hit the road for the Rock.

MarkC
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Great day at the Pulpit. Lots and lots of pilots. Bacil, Jon and maybe one other went OTB. I got almost 4K over launch and landed after 2.5 hours so I could help Walt launch. It was very turbulent for the first hour or so in the air.

Flew my PG at the end of the day for 18 minutes and 100 over a little before sunset.

Matthew
markc

Post by markc »

Wow, today was fantastic, practically a Pulpit Fly-In!!!!!

Let's see if I can even come close to naming everyone who was there : Amy and Jon; Tom M; Dan Tw; Dennis S; Keith F; Rich E; Ashley G; Karen and Matthew; Andy; Walt; Charley; Bacil; Andy's instructor from State College, with two pilots; a couple of visiting pilots from New York who I didn't get to meet... Hmmm.... There were more, but I'm blanking. I think 20 all told.

Given the strong 3k forecast, conditions on launch were surprisingly mellow through at least 12:30. That's pretty rare for the Pulpit: Usually the ramp-up is in full-effect by around 11:00 on days like today. So the early-launching pilots had some pretty nice cycles.

I ran a shuttle with Dan and Charley, then helped with some launches, then dithered around for a while.... And eventually conditions started getting a bit gnarlier, enough so that I was thinking "Eh, maybe I'll just do a late day flight."

But I convinced myself to give it a try at around 2:30 or so, and had an ok launch from the pad. Lots of way-North cross, completely at odds with the forecast. But that's the Pulpit, right? Sigh.

Conditions in the air were rowdy, with strong fall thermals blasting through. I topped out at nearly 4k over, working cloudstreets to the north of launch. Up and back, punch out into the valley, and then repeat, for as long as you wanted. Although tempted to drift OTB late in the afternoon with Matthew, I stayed local, eventually putting it down after 2:15, at the golf course.

Five of us headed to Flannery's in Mercersburg for an excellent dinner. Brie salad and a crabcake for me, and both were excellent. And the beer list, OMG!!! Six Belgians. 15 brews on tap. Large-format bottles. Double IPAs. The place is awesome!

Life is good!

MarkC
wmelo

Post by wmelo »

Although I broke the record yesterday: the shortest flight of the day, I had a great time. I was able to assist many pilots to launch and learn from their challenges. I would like to thank my fellow pilots and observes. Jon who pulled my ears and did not allow me to launch without visiting the LZ; Mathew for observing me -- his instructions were terrific; my patient wire crew -- Karen, Andy and I_forget_his_name; the last but not the least, Mark who rescued me.
I am looking forward to flying again at the Pulpit with so many great people and eating again at Flannery's in Mercersburg!

Walt
Walt Melo
+1.804.walt.743
sailin

Post by sailin »

It has been said...but worth repeating....good day at the Pulpit!!! Both pilot turn out and conditions were much better than expected. I launched just a little after 1pm and found some strong lift lurking about, getting into lots of 500-600fpm and some occasional 750fpm on the 15 second averager. Topped out at a bit over 5200'msl. It was chilly up there and I suffered for a bit until I remembered I had a visor.....man that really makes a difference! Went OTB and avoided the lawn dart with some nice lift in the valley that gave me several medium-low saves. Had an intresting "up close and personal" with a helicopter :shock: In the end my journey was about 12 miles or so as I landed just west of Rt. 995 (Warm Springs Rd.) I believe with a little bit of luck, and much better skill than me, it was a day to go far. This was a really fun flight for me and the views were incredible! I think the leaves were at peak color or at least pretty close to it. Beautiful. Big thanks to Amy who helped launch me and came and got me...thank you!
It was great to see everybody out on the mountain. Hopefully we can all sneak a few more flights in before the leaves fall off the trees!
Overall it was a great 4 days...hanging with my lady, flying, campfires and good beer. !

Jon